Winter Hiking With Your Dog
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Winter Hiking with your dog on 02/03/2012 14:19:03 MST Print View

@ Bob: That's Bixby's dog pack! We can't keep him out of the water... if he sees or senses that there is water up ahead on the trail, he'll take off ahead and wait for us by swimming circles in the lake or river or whatever.

We've learned the hard way, so now everything he carries in his pack that we dont want getting wet (food, towel, vest) go into a couple of those S2S ultrasil dry sacks first. His sleeping pad usually forms the frame for my pack.

@ Walter: Shunka looks like a real trooper! Those look like some harsh conditions.

For the rest of you: Do any of you carry or use any special foot protection for your dogs during winter hikes? I'm thinking if your dog's paws get raw from the ice or snow or he cuts a pad? We usually carry some medical grade super glue that we could seal up a pad cut with if we had to and we usually have Bixby carry a set of those dog booties. He hates them but I figure in a bad situation, we coudl put those on him to help ease the discomfort as opposed to me carrying a 95 lb dog out...

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: RE: RE: "Winter Hiking With Your Dog" on 02/03/2012 19:10:23 MST Print View

WOW!!! I really didn't expect this thread to have the legs it has. Thanks everybody for all your advice and sharing your experience. You've all given me a lot more confidence now to venture out into the cold with my Abigail. And, everybody has really beautiful four legged family members!