Forum Index » GEAR » What is the most "packable" synthetic sleeping bag?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ernie Fuentes
(askernie) - F
What is the most "packable" synthetic sleeping bag? on 01/19/2012 06:10:54 MST Print View

Looking for options for myself and my Boy Scout troop. Looking in the 30 degree as the coldest for use here in Florida.

Price is also important.

Thanks

ernie the eyeball

Edited by askernie on 01/19/2012 06:13:32 MST.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: What is the most "packable" synthetic sleeping bag? on 01/19/2012 06:52:07 MST Print View

Since most inexpensive bags will not be accurately rated, I agree with your 30 degree target. Otherwise, a 40-45 would be enough for FL unless you would be doing winter trips up north.

The paper I just finished may be of great benefit to you.

Craig Rowland
(craigr) - MLife

Locale: Pacific NW
Ultralamina on 01/19/2012 08:36:27 MST Print View

I like the ultralamina series bags. The 32 version is good to 40 without insulating layers. The 15 version I've taken to 19 wiout layers.

Michael, that is a great paper!

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
mountain hardware ultralamina on 01/19/2012 09:00:23 MST Print View

Mountain Hardware ultralamina 32 pack that small because it really a 40 degree bag.I Bought one for my birthday 3 years ago was all excited about the small packable size and weight how light weight it was and the short dual zip at the top. I bought it November It was 50 degrees in myMobile home that night I slept on bed to test it warmth I froze my butt off. So I returned it to the store.

My brother had ultralamina zero degree sleeping bag it was warm at first backpacking High Sierras
But in 3 months after 10 uses the insulation compacted and it was only warm to about 40 degrees.
In my IMHO mountain hardware ultralamina insulation is pure crap.

My Golite 40 degree quilt packs really small and is warmer than ultralamina 32 sleeping bag.I am even thinking about make a Climashield APEX 2.5 0z short blanket insert that clips with mitten hooks like moonstone sleeping bags did. to extend the warmth of the quilt.
Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 01/19/2012 09:07:39 MST.

Craig Rowland
(craigr) - MLife

Locale: Pacific NW
32 is a 40 on 01/19/2012 10:47:22 MST Print View

That's surprising to hear. I used my 32 bag all last season for multiple weeks and while I think it is a 40 degree bag at most, it was very warm at those temps just wearing my base layer.

Ernie Fuentes
(askernie) - F
Re: Re: What is the most "packable" synthetic sleeping bag? on 01/20/2012 06:03:56 MST Print View

That paper was awesome.

Thanks

ernie the eyeball
Assistant Scoutmaster
Troop 246
Gulfridge Council
Tampa Florida

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Scouting paper on 01/20/2012 07:57:07 MST Print View

Ernie,
PM me if there are things I should change or add for your climate down there. I'd like to expand it for all the lower 48.