Forum Index » GEAR » Good compression shorts

Display Avatars Sort By:
spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Good compression shorts on 01/18/2012 17:10:16 MST Print View

Being very happy with every other item of merino clothing I own, I got some merino boxer briefs a size too small in the hopes they would fit like compression shorts. I like compression shorts b/c they prevent chafing and add a little more insulation than regular undies. Well, my bright idea failed miserably. The legs of the briefs stretched out and rode up, making them useless for the job I wanted them to do. So I am back to compression shorts. I used to use unpadded sliding shorts, but it's been years since I bought any and I was wondering if anyone else used them and could recommend some with good fit and durability, and maybe anti-microbial something-or-other to cut down on that synthetic stink.

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: Good compression shorts on 01/18/2012 17:40:22 MST Print View

I prefer "half-tights" over "compression shorts." You get better seams and construction, a bit heavier fabric, and can be worn on their own. Running Warehouse is my go-to store for online running apparel, though I don't know if any of the pairs they stock boast anti-microbrial properties.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
under armour heat gear on 01/18/2012 22:55:17 MST Print View

compression shorts. they do everything you'd want a good pair of compression shorts to do.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: under armour heat gear on 01/19/2012 01:40:18 MST Print View

Another vote vote for under armor compression shorts. These are my favorite to wear under my judo gi. However, I like the under armor boxer briefs for hiking. The legs are pretty snug on the boxer briefs, but give the boys some freedom, and they have a fly. But, my chafing issues are usually thigh related, so if yours are elsewhere then I guess the compression is your way to go.

Damien Tougas
(dtougas) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Gaspé Peninsula
Nike on 01/19/2012 06:19:35 MST Print View

I have tried both the Nike and the Under Armor compression shorts, and I have to say I find the Nike much more comfortable. They are a lighter material (at least since last time I tried the Under Armors) and I find the waist band more comfortable.

Scott S
(sschloss1) - F

Locale: New England
EMS on 01/19/2012 06:45:04 MST Print View

I've been using the EMS tech-wick compression shorts on my last few multi-week hikes. The nice thing about them is that they're treated with silver to resist microbes. That means no stink, even after days of walking.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Good compression shorts on 01/19/2012 08:15:14 MST Print View

Bonktown has been having compression half-tights on about 10 times a day for the last several days. don't remember the brand, but it doesn't take much to beat the price and quality of UA.

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Re: Good compression shorts on 01/19/2012 11:45:15 MST Print View

After looking at the half-tights, I'm not too keen on them, as I want these for four season wear and the half-tights seem made to be worn alone. I know the local store has Nike and UA at least, so I'll check those out next time I'm in town. They might have half-tights too, who knows? I'm not a runner so I've never been in that section, ha. I'd not heard of bonktown, but I'll keep an eye out there as well.

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

UA on 01/19/2012 15:50:03 MST Print View

Ended up going with the UA's. They had the most spandex and robust fabric. Thanks for the input, everyone.