Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 'It's still better than golf!' Mount Rainier survivor describes 50 hours alone

Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
'It's still better than golf!' Mount Rainier survivor describes 50 hours alone on 01/18/2012 16:45:56 MST Print View

full text and video at link

A steady stream of visitors flow through Yong Chun Kim's Tacoma home. They come to make sure he's okay, after an ordeal that has them shaken - but not him.
"I wasn't scared," he said in broken English. "No. It's okay."
On Saturday, Mr. Kim led a group of friends on a snowshoeing trek on Mount Rainier when he fell 150 yards down a steep slope in whiteout conditions. As he tried to rejoin the group, he fell again, this time getting buried over his head in snow.
"I thought, I no want to die. But I know I will be okay," he said.
Kim, 66, is an experienced outdoorsman, but he only had the bare essentials with him on the day hike. Among them, a lighter that he used to burn his socks and scarf, along with some tree branches for warmth. By Sunday, with no sign of help on the way, he burned the only thing he could spare -- his money. It was only $6, a five and a one.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Its-still-better-than-golf-Mt-Rainier-survivor-describes-harrowing-ordeal--137530378.html

Art Sandt
(artsandt) - F
another one for chaff on 01/18/2012 20:38:17 MST Print View

Eric, I think what you need is a blog or some sort of news reader website where you can collect all your articles instead of posting them here as though they were forum posts.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
The $6, UL survival kit on 01/18/2012 21:15:03 MST Print View

I love it: he burned 6 dollars in fuel. Actually 6 dollars.

Cool link, Eric.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: The $6, UL survival kit on 01/18/2012 21:43:16 MST Print View

It doesn't seem like burning two bills would create any significant heat : )

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: another one for chaff on 01/18/2012 21:49:26 MST Print View

Should be in the on the web forum

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: 'It's still better than golf!' Mount Rainier survivor describes 50 hours alone on 01/19/2012 00:02:08 MST Print View

I wonder why he burned his socks and scarf. You would figure the warmth generated by wearing them would out weigh the short term heat gain from a fire

An aside why would this go in chaff when it is a thread on backpacking. It is not like popular threadsvare being pushed of the first page as a result of these posts. Beyond that i have never understood the forum police mentality that wants to police where and what people post.

William Johnson
(Steamboat_Willie)
Re: 'It's still better than golf!' Mount Rainier survivor describes 50 hours alone on 01/19/2012 00:36:26 MST Print View

Thank you for that story, Eric.

Greg, next time please post your reply in the "polite reply section" of our forums.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: 'It's still better than golf!' Mount Rainier survivor describes 50 hours alone on 01/19/2012 01:40:48 MST Print View

I learn volumes from reading accounts of hikers who got in trouble. I would MUCH rather learn by their mistakes than my own.

Seems that a whistle would have been good for this situation. Maybe a really bright flashlight. Definitely some tinder and a blowtorch fire starter, like a road flare. And Swiss Army knife with saw, or perhaps snow shoeing is the place for my 3.5oz Gerber saw.

No way I would burn my socks. Cash, heck yeah! I always have some TP (sorry Mike).

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: Re: 'It's still better than golf!' Mount Rainier survivor describes 50 hours alone on 01/19/2012 02:36:52 MST Print View

I would assume he burned the socks, scarf, and money as tinder to get a wood fire going. He was in snow after all, and without proper tinder or knowledge of how to acquire some, the items he burned probably did well to get a larger fire going to not only heat his toes, but his whole body.
If that is the case, I would easily sacrifice my socks to keep my whole body warm...

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: 'It's still better than golf!' Mount Rainier survivor describes 50 hours alone on 01/19/2012 06:49:53 MST Print View

"Beyond that I have never understood the forum police mentality that wants to police where and what people post."

A place for everything, and everything in it's place. Hard enough to search for things here. We can at least put things where they belong.

That is why we have categories. Or would you like everything all lumped together?

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
'It's still better than golf!' Mount Rainier survivor describes 50 hours alone" on 01/19/2012 08:12:10 MST Print View

Makes you want to not carry big bills, although if I have a big bunch of ones, my wife always thinkis I'm going to a strip club.

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
strip club on 01/26/2012 19:52:02 MST Print View

Tell her youre playing liar's poker.

Chris Jones
(NightMarcher) - F
Re: Survivor Stories on 01/28/2012 19:35:56 MST Print View

I enjoy reading these stories. Sometimes I learn something from them.

That said, perhaps there should be a survivor stories subforum?