Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MLD DuoMid vs LocusGear Khufu
Display Avatars Sort By:
Benjamin Moryson
(hrXXL) - MLife

Locale: Germany
MLD DuoMid vs LocusGear Khufu on 01/16/2012 10:39:14 MST Print View

I'm looking for a new closed shelter for future trips. The MLD DuoMid and the LocusGear Khufu are in my immediate choice. Meanwhile I had the chance to have a closer look at the DuoMid and in my opinion it is a bit short for me. I'm 5.9' tall and the DuoMid was fairly close.

Now my question. Is the LocusGear Khufu bigger than the DuoMid?? Are the sidewalls of the Khufu steeper or at the same angle as in the Duo. How is the processing of the Khufu.
Questions about questions. Hope you guys can help me.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: MLD DuoMid vs LocusGear Khufu on 01/16/2012 11:07:23 MST Print View

MLD builds to order and so I think you could customize to make a duomid slightly longer.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Duomid on 01/16/2012 11:08:54 MST Print View

I'm 5'10", and have been happily using my Duomid for a few years.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Duomid on 01/16/2012 11:25:38 MST Print View

I'm 6'1" and found it just fine if not using a long, high loft sleeping bag. Otherwise I would just touch the ends of the DuoMid. If the fabric sags, you will touch.

However, you can use an inverted V set up with poles and then sleep at an angle. You would have a ton of length doing that.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Duomid on 01/16/2012 11:59:57 MST Print View

I'm 6' and have only used it in the inverted V setup and have plenty o'room :) summer or winter

Sergiy Sosnytskiy
(ssv310)

Locale: Ukraine
Re: MLD DuoMid vs LocusGear Khufu on 01/16/2012 13:12:22 MST Print View

From manufacturers' specs Khufu is a bit shorter, a bit wider, and a bit lower than Duomid. (I've used google to convert feet to centimeters).

Benjamin Moryson
(hrXXL) - MLife

DuoMid vs Khufu on 01/17/2012 05:57:54 MST Print View

Thanks for your comments. Anyone here who is using a Khufu??

Angelo Radano
(zalmen_mlotek)

Locale: New England
Bear Paw Wilderness on 01/17/2012 13:41:28 MST Print View

Check out Bear Paw's pyramid style tent. If I remember correctly they were a touch bigger than the Duomid.

FYI: I own a Duomid and I am 5'9" and it is plenty big for me.

Benjamin Moryson
(hrXXL) - MLife

Pear Paw on 01/18/2012 07:36:52 MST Print View

Think the Pear Paw is not really an alternative for me.
A review of the Khufu would help me with my decision, but their is nothing in the world wide web.

Lucas Meserve
(lmeserve) - MLife

Locale: East Coast Oz (Formerly PNW)
For Future Reference on 03/25/2013 00:20:21 MDT Print View

I'm sure you have either found this or bought something by now: http://hikinginfinland.com/2013/02/locus-gear-khufu-sil-review.html

Edited by lmeserve on 03/25/2013 00:28:21 MDT.

Benjamin Moryson
(hrXXL) - MLife

Khufu on 03/25/2013 01:01:07 MDT Print View

Thanks for the link, but meanwhile I'm a happy owner of a Locus Gear Khufu Sil Shelter since over a year.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Khufu on 03/25/2013 02:56:43 MDT Print View

Do you mind expanding on your enjoyment of the Khufu after some good use? I for one would be interested in further perspectives of the shelter.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
re: LocusGear Khufu Sil on 03/25/2013 10:52:16 MDT Print View

I was able to set up my new Khufu Sil for the first time yesterday. Here's the 1st pitch, in Alpine Green color. I set it up with one center pole (set at approx. 130mm). I'm 5'10" and had room at both ends, even though I had not guyed out the head/foot ends. This was just lying on the ground without a sleeping pad or bag. Sorry I can't offer more concrete info about the fit.

Khufu Sil

Edit: Barefoot Jake has a trip report in the Olympics just last week, using a yellow Sil Khufu with sustained rain. Here:

http://www.barefootjake.com/

In the post "Forgotten Trail of the Elwha"

Also, I did buy the DPTE attachment for using two poles, but haven't used it yet.

Edited by saparisor on 03/25/2013 10:58:39 MDT.

Benjamin Moryson
(hrXXL) - MLife

Khufu on 03/26/2013 01:20:57 MDT Print View

@Clayton
is there someting special you wanna know?
planning my re viewfor the end of the next month.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Khufu on 03/26/2013 08:38:28 MDT Print View

I'm curious what the Khufu has to offer over the Duomid?- looks like the Khufu is ~ $60 more than the Duomid (if I did the exchange rate correctly)

the specs look very, very close to me

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
mld on 03/26/2013 09:01:14 MDT Print View

I had both the cuben khufu and the cubin duomid. I decided I liked the duomid more because the MLD Duomid is more rugged, for example the seam sealing tape is wider, it may not be as immaculate stitched but the reinforcements are larger, stronger. The knufu is beautiful but the duomid beats it on function in the long run is my bet. I'll never know for sure, I sold the knufu. Also the knufu had more seams that could eventually leak. I'm 5'11" and both shelters worked for me as far as size. The silnylon khufu is a different beast, silnylon is tough but as far as cubin pyramids I decided I like the duomid. I use two poles in the duomid and have plenty of room and I think that setup makes it stronger in the wind.

kxx

Edited by anthonyweston on 03/26/2013 09:07:41 MDT.