Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Double Rainbow vs Stratospire 2
Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Harmer
(Barbarossa) - F
Double Rainbow vs Stratospire 2 on 09/27/2012 03:14:03 MDT Print View

Thanks Franco. I think that swings me slightly towards the SS2, I just need to decide if the extra floor space is overkill or not.

Do you have experience with the DR breathable inserts? i.e. Do they noticeably reduce the interior space, and are they effective at preventing you from brushing against any condensation on the outer wall?

Sorry, one last question, how does the DR go packing up in the wet, can you fold it in a way that prevents the inside floor/mesh getting wet? That shot on the OT looked like it was a pretty damp day.

Thanks again.

Benjamin Auer
(mankind117) - M
DR and SS2 on 09/27/2012 07:02:19 MDT Print View

Have been through several tarptents. I started with a Rainbow which I still have and plan on keeping for a long time. I'm quite tall 6'6" and found the Rainbow adequate. I got a double rainbow thinking it wasn't that much heavier, would give me more room solo, and allow us space for 2 if my wife came. Unfortunately I didn't think it was doubly good. With the way it narrows at the top it is just not great for 2. I also tried the insert and with my height the insert just didn't work. It was pretty much in my face although someone of normal height would not have this problem. Finally the freestanding feature works better on the Rainbow than on the DR. The DR is wide enough that you need some sort of trekking pole extender and even with that I found the way they attached to the treking poles didn't work well. The single rainbow's method of attaching the corners to the poles was much better and the freestanding works better since the floor is narrower. I ended up selling it since I didn't really like it especially for 2. I ended up getting a scarp 2 and that tent is so, so, so much better for 2 because it does not narrow at the top. It fits myself and my wife better than any other 2p tent I have used. Plus after using it on a trip myself it was so nice not to have to worry about condensation falling on me like in the Rainbow here in the humid east coast now I'm seriously considering getting a SS2 for myself (I think I'm too tall for the SS1).

Edited by mankind117 on 09/27/2012 07:14:39 MDT.

Sarah Kuhn
(SCKuhn) - MLife

Locale: Mountainous Ohio
'massive' footprint on 09/27/2012 08:33:23 MDT Print View

While on paper the numbers might seem overwhelming you are simply looking at a 20" wider footprint with the SS2 vs the DR - that's not that significant when looking for a tent sight.
Now forget about the footprint size and look at the headroom width!!! In the SS2 you get a full 52" while in the DR you get approximately 12"!!
So, imagine a rainy day when you are stuck in the tent.... or 2 people trying to move around in the tent at the same time.... To me the extra width in the headroom is the real selling point for the SS2 vs the DR (my SMD Lunar Duo maximize the headroom as well)
Love my Rainbow, just not the DR.
Sarah

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: 'massive' footprint on 09/27/2012 09:13:57 MDT Print View

"Now forget about the footprint size and look at the headroom width!!! In the SS2 you get a full 52" while in the DR you get approximately 12"!!"

That assumes that you are 8 foot tall with a 50" upper torso length.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Double Rainbow vs Stratospire 2 on 09/27/2012 15:34:11 MDT Print View

Aaron,
my Rainbow was pre-liner days (it is from a pre-production run so before all the mods...) but I have had a play with the liner inside both the Rainbow and the DR .
Works for me at 172cm but of course it is a different story at 198cm (6'6")..
The Rainbow is a large solo but the DR is proportionally not as large as a double, so again it depends a lot on your size .
I don't think that anyone has ever done the full OT without rain (we had sleet in mid February...) so I did pack up the Rainbow wet at least a couple of times then and many times since , not a problem for me because I have a Chux (Handy Wipes) at the ready , set up the shelter and give it a quick wipe down inside.
As for the freestanding set up, I had mine done that particular day but did not bother with that afterwards. The DR does need some extenders to be able to do it, I made a pair about 20cm long.
Rained Rainbow
If you like to spend a bit of time in the tent , not just sleep inside it, I would suggest the SS2.
I have a few videos with both the DR and the SS2 in my YouTube channel (francodarioli)

On platforms I am pretty sure my way of setting the SS2 up would be easier.
So start with one end clipped on to the hooks screwed in the platform side, then do the other end (don't pull the fabric taut) then insert the poles.
Just have a careful look at how I do it .
BTW, I don't sell them but look after TT in Australia, for example I do seam sealing if needed ($25)

Edited by Franco on 09/27/2012 15:46:48 MDT.