Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
ULA Amp...Pics, etc
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brian Frankle
(bdf37) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ULA Amp...Image, etc on 01/23/2007 22:03:20 MST Print View

Gene-

The pocket on the Catalyst is REALLY big. Pocket height is 17", width us 11", depth 4". Pretty dang big...but maybe not big enough.

Brian

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania
Panel loader on 01/24/2007 06:43:43 MST Print View

There you go Brian, you may find that there are enough backpackers interested in carrying a lightweight panel loading pack to make the design a reality.

Rich

Brian Frankle
(bdf37) - F
Re: Panel loader on 01/24/2007 10:22:20 MST Print View

Rich (and other panel loader fans),

I've never doubted the interest level of backpackers for a UL panel loader. I've never needed sales numbers to justify bringing a product to market. My concerns have been to get a better grasp as to how people use PL's, their expectations in a design, and of course offering something that I can produce in a cost effective and timely fashion.

The responses that I received last year when I asked about PL's were very, very helpful in educating myself about how folks use such a pack. While much of it was intuitive from a design standpoint, there were a few standouts that I had not considered.

So...all that is left is figuring out the production stuff. Once I feel confident in that arena, then I will move forward with more enthusiasm.

Thanks for the consistent reminders though!

Brian

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: on 01/24/2007 10:43:57 MST Print View

Brian:

Thanks for the feedback. Just want to emphasize that while some of us are rooting for a PL, this takes nothing away from your fantastic TL packs! Congrats on the Amp -- you've got yourself yet another winner!

Gene .
(Tracker)

Locale: New England
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ULA Amp...Image, etc on 01/25/2007 18:52:31 MST Print View

thanks Brian, those specs seem usable, but in the Circuit thread folks were mentioning that the pocket had difficult access once the pack was full?

If you need a model for a PL just use the ever popular Mountainsmith Seraph/Ghost pack! I missed out on that beauty of a panel loader apparently...

mark henley
(flash582) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ULA Amp...Image, etc on 01/25/2007 20:20:51 MST Print View

I loved the Ghost ... and I love the Granite Gear line of panel loaders ..

Now .... if you could make a ghost but at half the 2lb weight ..... hummmmmmmm

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: ULA Amp...Image, etc on 01/25/2007 21:30:02 MST Print View

My Ghost finally died in September (It was a 2001 model). The hoop shot thru the fabric, on a cross country trip. So I bought the ladies Seraph to make myself better.
Yet, how I'd love a truly light PL for summer! :-) With a big ol' mesh pocket on the back for all my crap, and maybe side mesh pockets (I have come to hate hydration bladders).
And if you could make one in a short torso I'd love you even more ;-)
(Ok, I'll shut up on the short torso spiel. It just isn't easy finding short torso packs for me and the boy)

Brian Frankle
(bdf37) - F
Amp Availability on 01/31/2007 15:02:27 MST Print View

Folks-

The new Amp will be available to order 2/01/07. It does not appear on the order form, so you'll need to just tell me what you want in the COMMENTS section of the order form.

Delivery will follow the following week. Also, a pic of the optional modular front pocket is posted at:

www.ula-equipment.com/amp.htm

In case the image is unclear, there are two panels of mesh on each side of the pocket for airflow. The front of the pocket is Dyneema and has a bellow sewn into it. The back of the pocket is 1.9 oz ripstop nylon. There are 4 clips on each side of the pocket which fasten to the pack body. In addition, the ice axe loop threads through a piece of hardware to secure the bottom, and the top of the pocket has a grommet which you simply thread to the compression cordage. Top of the pocket is angled and elasticized. Dimensions are: ~11"(h) x 8"(w) x 4"(d). The pocket can be arranged OVER or UNDER the compression cordage.

As for the side pockets...they are about 9" tall. I blame my poor photgraphy skills making them appear smaller than they are.

Thank you all again for your interest.

Brian

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Amp Availability on 01/31/2007 16:08:27 MST Print View

Brian:

I like the Amp's modular front pocket. Any thoughts of making them in green also -- as an option for your other pack models?

Brian Frankle
(bdf37) - F
Re: Re: Amp Availability on 01/31/2007 16:12:47 MST Print View

Ben-

The Amp and the forthcoming 16 oz full suspension pack are Gray Dyneema with silver 1.9 oz. All other pack models (including the upcoming panel loader) will remain Green Dyneema with Black 1.9 oz.

brian

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Amp Availability on 01/31/2007 16:28:47 MST Print View

Brian:

Clarifying my question above... in addition to making modular front pockets in silver as an option for the Amp -- do you have any plans for making some modular pockets in green as well -- as a purchase option for your Catalyst, Circuit, etc. -- for times when users wish to add a bit more capacity to their packs?

Edited by ben2world on 01/31/2007 16:31:04 MST.

Brian Frankle
(bdf37) - F
Re: Re: Amp Availability on 01/31/2007 20:58:30 MST Print View

Ben-

Ah yes...I follow you now. I was reading too fast. The answer is "No."

The mesh pockets on the other packs (sans Relay) are already so big, that I'd hate to have people carry additional weight even further from their center of gravity.

I'd probably have an optional top lid for the all the packs before an additional removeable mesh pocket.

Brian

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Amp Availability on 01/31/2007 21:15:36 MST Print View

Brian -- Thanks for the answer.

Michael Demchak
(mikey) - F

Locale: new england
woot on 02/01/2007 00:32:25 MST Print View

Brian a man of your word, i just realized that today is the first, and sure enough there was the amp, pretty as can be. i just orderd one, so ill let everyone know how she does through the paces as soon as i get it.
mike!

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Amp optional front pocket on 02/01/2007 03:39:59 MST Print View

Just to make sure i'm clear on this: is that front pocket a mesh front pocket? Hope so. Or, is it mesh on one side & fabric on the other side? is it reversible, so user has choice of having mesh or fabric side outward and exposed to more air, let's say for drying a tarp, etc.?

Donna Chester
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Amp optional front pocket on 02/01/2007 04:47:53 MST Print View

Brian...I'm looking forward to your new packs, especially a panel loader..and, as Sarah mentioned earlier, consider the 15" body type. OK...my schpiel will continue as long as necessary! : )

Brian Frankle
(bdf37) - F
Re: Amp optional front pocket on 02/01/2007 08:13:31 MST Print View

PJ-

The removeable front pocket is mesh, dyneema, and 1.9 oz ripstop. The front (majority) is dyneema, the sides are mesh, and the back of the pocket is 1.9 oz.

Brian

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Re: Amp optional front pocket on 02/01/2007 08:55:28 MST Print View

Mr. Frankle,

To what extent do you think will the pocket not being all mesh affect drying times of gear placed in it when the pocket is used for such purposes? The all mesh front pocket was one of the things I liked a lot about the Breeze, G5, & Mariposa packs (of course, needed to stop periodically & refold wet gear to expose more damp surface to the air in order for it to dry).

Maybe i didn't understand the pics on the website correctly, but it looked like the user could somewhat easily detach and attach the optional front pocket, or am i mistaken and it's permanently affixed to the pack? Might be nice to have it user removeable. Why carry something that might not be needed on a particular trek?

Can a custom pocket be requested that's either all mesh or w/the back 1.9 rip & sides and front mesh? If so, why not make such a rip&mesh pocket reversible by the user, depending upon whether the user wants the mesh side facing out or in?

Just some [bad???] thoughts.

Edited by pj on 02/01/2007 12:19:53 MST.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: ULA Amp...Image, etc on 02/01/2007 11:30:41 MST Print View

Why no sternum strap? Nice pack.

Brian Frankle
(bdf37) - F
Re: Re: Re: Amp optional front pocket on 02/01/2007 11:56:46 MST Print View

PJ-

I agree...that is way the pocket is removeable. It simply attaches (very securely) with 4 clips or with up to 6 points.

1)The mesh I use in my packs is heavier than dyneema. So, I minimized mesh use to focus on weight. The sides of the pocket are mesh which allows for drainage and airflow.

2)I envisioned the pocket being used primarily for rain gear and/or shelter...storing 'em when they are wet or dry.

3)Drying clothing, socks, etc, I use the exterior compression cordage to secure the wet items to the outside of the pack for maximum solar gain.

As for making the pocket reversible...to be honest aesthetics played a role in my decision not to do so.

Custom pocket? Maybe in the future...like late summer when I have a chance to come up for air.

Thanks for your thoughts.