Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Which seam on the outer edge of a down quilt?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Branko Grujcic
(jackal) - F
Which seam on the outer edge of a down quilt? on 01/13/2012 00:40:41 MST Print View

Rookie's question- I'm making a down quilt and looks like i can't turn the quilt inside out to sew the edges first and then buffles or it would be to tricky and not worth my time. If i sew the baffles first, what seam should i use on the edges of the right-side-out quilt that would be strong and prevent fraying? I found this on the web, should i use this?

seam

Thank you!

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Which seam on the outer edge of a down quilt? on 01/13/2012 18:36:18 MST Print View

Branko-

I just use a rolled hem which is pretty similar to the above. Make a normal seam, roll the outer edge inward 1/2", then roll in again 1/2". Pin, then sew.

Ryan

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Which seam on the outer edge of a down quilt? on 01/13/2012 19:56:18 MST Print View

Same as Ryan - maybe roll over 1/4", then 1/4" again

In your photo, top fabric is 0.5" shorter than bottom - this is unnecesary with thin fabric, in my experience. With thicker fabric you want to do this so the hem isn't so thick.

Branko Grujcic
(jackal) - F
Re: seam on 01/13/2012 20:15:35 MST Print View

Very cool, thank you guys!

Lori Holloway
(lunette) - F
Secure stitching on 01/14/2012 13:39:30 MST Print View

I'd just add an extra row of straight stitching along the edge, 1/8 to 1/4 inch away from the first, between the original row and the edge. You can do it easily by moving your needle position if you like. My down comforter and pillows both are finished that way; it gives you a backup if stitches on one rip.