Forum Index » GEAR » Backpacker's "Gear Guide" just out

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: Backpacker's "Gear Guide" just out on 01/21/2007 14:24:18 MST Print View

My favorite page in the new BP Gear Guide is the last one, where they manage to knock over 11 pounds out of the 'average' pack, then they ADD BACK IN ten pounds of 'luxuries.' Things like a backcountry latte maker, a shortwave radio, tequila, a 19 ounce book, an outback oven, etc. Things that probably won't fit inside the Z-55 pack that they recommend for the lightweight hiker.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Am I the only one that can't stand Backpacker magazine? on 01/21/2007 15:18:19 MST Print View

No.
The only reason to buy Backpacker is to run up a good peeve.

Why bother? The mag is useless and a waste of time.

If you want something to get mad about, try war or phony politicians or global warming. Something substantive.

Remember, we don't really need the gear industry. Just about everyone on this site can make just about everything they need. You won't read that in Backpacker.

Greg Vaillancourt
(GSV45) - F

Locale: Utah
a backcountry latte maker on 01/21/2007 15:38:56 MST Print View

That is funny!

I do bring a book on almost all of my trips. I guess I could switch to an iPod with audiobooks to save weight.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: a backcountry latte maker on 01/21/2007 15:50:17 MST Print View

You could write your own book! MYOG in a sense. Although it would probably be heavier than an Ipod, since you have to carry paper and pencil.
If you're anything like me though, you aren't creative enough to write your own book.

Adam

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: a backcountry latte maker on 01/21/2007 16:20:46 MST Print View

An iPod audiobook, yes, but then you will need extra batteries. Hang on. batteries are probably lighter than a book and they are multi use so maybe you are correct.

Now all I need is the iPod, the battery pack for backup batteries, the lithium batteries, once I have that then all I need is to decide which book, but it must be available at ITunes or its equivalent.

But then a trashy novel from a roadside cafe is also multi use, fire starter, TP replacer, ...

Hmmm much to think about

Edited by rogerb on 01/21/2007 16:22:03 MST.

Shawn Basil
(Bearpaw) - F

Locale: Southeast
Backpacker on 01/21/2007 16:31:04 MST Print View

"Shawn - where do you work? If that is your picture, you look like someone I saw at the Perimeter REI in Atlanta."

No, I work at the Brentwood store right outside of Nashville. My store isn't quite as "Eddie Bauer" as the Perimeter store sounds, but having been forced to work most of my shifts (to cover personnel issues of the last 3 months) in clothing, the non-hiker population seems to have dectupled (I think that's the right word for 10 x) lately. I AM glad that my store still carries a decent selection of lightweight packs and sleeping bags, but our tent and tarp selection is NOT particularly lightweight. I'm just glad to be able to help folks who really need genuine technical help, and in camping and footwear, I can still do that. But working clothing makes me feel like I'm in the Gap.

Edited by Bearpaw on 01/21/2007 16:31:48 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Backpacker on 01/21/2007 16:41:31 MST Print View

OK, those of you biitching about the Gear Guide... I just came back from the bookstore -- and they're still displaying Feb issues. Count yourselves lucky. :(

jim bailey
(florigen) - F - M

Locale: South East
here you go on 01/21/2007 17:14:16 MST Print View

Here is page 128
enjoy!
Jimpage 128

Richard Sansom
(LandRover) - F
Re: here you go on 01/21/2007 17:33:25 MST Print View

All these magazine are trying to go down the lifestyle route - it frustrates me.
Outside seems to have been the first, and is now the worst.
I get tired of their lists of ten most beautiful people wearing the latest Gucci fleece. If I wanted fashion then there are magazines for that.
Even NG adventure is slipping down the fashion route, as is backpacker. Rather than going for long-term integrity, they want their money now. It's a shame there's no alternative out there.

Richard Sansom
(LandRover) - F
Re: Re: here you go on 01/21/2007 17:36:44 MST Print View

I guess what I'm saying is that I realize the magazine needs to sell ads to survive, I just wish that editorial content and integrity wasn't pushed quite so far down the pecking order.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Backpacker Magazine on 01/21/2007 17:49:29 MST Print View

Just four words ...

Vote with your pocketbook

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Backpacker Magazine on 01/21/2007 18:06:22 MST Print View

Hey- I don't know what you all are complaining about. I had an incredible aha moment this morning when looking through the Gear Guide...

So now I can take pictures and print them with my portable printer WHILE on the mountain- I don't even have to wait until I get home! YES! That way I can enjoy the photos INSTEAD of the view...and in real time!

Further, if I go SUL and get my base weight to 5 pounds, I can not only carry the extra 10 pounds of add-on stuff (tequila, pillow, and hammock), I'll have an ADDITIONAL 8 pounds of capacity for extra stuff! With that room, I can easily carry that printer and also a phat ghetto blaster to jam the tunes while I get totally drunk while looking at my new photos and swinging in my hammock. Brilliant!

I'm so stoked, that I can't hardly stand it!

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: Re: Backpacker Magazine on 01/21/2007 18:46:10 MST Print View

>So now I can take pictures and print them with my portable printer WHILE on the mountain

I wonder how much the printer weighs if you cut off the handle...

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Backpacker's "Gear Guide" just out on 01/21/2007 19:10:07 MST Print View

well everything is ridiculous except for the Tequila!! That is when stuffing your pack as someone stated earlier with their post.

Edited by kennyhel77 on 01/21/2007 19:18:31 MST.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: Backpacker's "Gear Guide" just out on 01/21/2007 19:21:30 MST Print View

Oh and Backpacker is about as useful as a kick in the pants. Nada. Stopped my subscription and I will never renew again. Why? They are turning into a magazine ala Outdoor or National Geographic Explorer. They hardly cover backpacking any more. More articles on paddling, mountain biking and such. No offence to those who enjoy those sports, but if I want to read about paddling or kayaking then I will buy a mag that is about that. It is a waste of print!!!!

Edited by kennyhel77 on 01/21/2007 19:22:04 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Backpacker's "Gear Guide" just out on 01/21/2007 19:33:09 MST Print View

Thanks, Jim... but what I really need is a 3-in-1 color scanner, copier and printer.

You laugh, but picture this: You see a ranger approaching, and now, you just need to copy/print a few extra backcountry permits -- use one to show the ranger and sell the rest to fellow hikers (there're always people who don't have permits). Make money while you hike!

Edited by ben2world on 01/21/2007 19:34:29 MST.

E. A.
(yalacasa) - F

Locale: Cheeseland-Midwest
I had to chuckle... on 01/21/2007 19:42:04 MST Print View

Shawn if you take the "missionaries" theme a little further... by working at REI and being an UL backpacker, you both LITERALLY and FIGURATIVELY are: a "tent-maker".

just a little evangelical pun-ing.

b d
(bdavis) - F

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.
Re: Backpacker on 01/21/2007 20:48:50 MST Print View

I guess I gotta weigh in with a comment here.

If you criticize and antagonize other people, especially businesses that might otherwise work with you or resolve differences then you can take a growing, nascent UL movement and turn it into a real fringe subculture.

Now, I am not against that -- because I have received great benefits from BPL and the UL people here and surrounding it. But, as the movement to go UL is now in a kind of surge it would be, IMO, not wise to go after pet peeves or irritants without thinking about the consequences.

It is kind of like the common sense of going a good distance away to hang your bear bag or to pee from your campsite. Just a thought by an older wanna be UL and SUL'er.

bd

Jeffrey Kuchera
(frankenfeet)

Locale: Great Lakes
All I know... on 01/21/2007 22:38:05 MST Print View

is that backpacker magazine used to pack alot more substance when I read and subscribed to it in the early nineties. When I buy an issue occasionally I wonder why I did. The public library down the street has backpacker magazine so if I feel the need to flip thru it I just take a ride down the street. Does anyone know when Rodale Press acquired backpacker magazine?

b d
(bdavis) - F

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.
Re: All I know... on 01/21/2007 23:05:20 MST Print View

I went and looked at the Rodale website -- I must have first read about Rodale and used their publications many, many years ago.

They used to be the bellweather for info re: organic gardening. The website makes it clear that the present editorial pollcies are at the beck and call of Rodale's son or others.

Now, you can fight that or not but it will not help anyone personally, IMO. People like Dr.RJ and others are working to influence and create both a market impact and political and/or environmental effect (see the recent editorial in the BPL mag; I am still not sure where I would comment or come in). Whether they, the people who have put their financial and personal lives on the line in promoting the UL/SUL movement or market niche, can do that, depends in large part on the intelligence and commentary coming from us. Therefore, before I would antagonize or criticiaze Rodale I would think twice. Although, I am always up for a good fight, unless suffering from the runs.

bd