Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Skurka can't get no love

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Skurka can't get no love on 01/10/2012 20:22:36 MST Print View

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/comments/topics/114077.html#114386

What a shame. Some of the comments at the end establish ignorance to a new level.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Skurka can't get no love on 01/10/2012 21:20:05 MST Print View

The comments are pretty tame to me. The internet will always be full of clowns and smart aces. Heck, sometimes I'm one of 'em.

Edited by jshann on 01/10/2012 21:20:35 MST.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Re: Skurka can't get no love on 01/10/2012 21:36:17 MST Print View

Ditto what John said

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Skurka can't get no love on 01/10/2012 21:39:55 MST Print View

No one has said that they read the book. My problem is that I have lost respect for National Geographic. Would like to have seen this published independently. Sure it will sell more copies this way. All about the dollar at the end of the day. So I understand the choice.
I looked at the free view on Amazon. Not crazy about the format.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
ok on 01/10/2012 21:42:16 MST Print View

And?

Only a few online naysayers and sideliners throwing rocks in the dark from a hundred yards out. There are always going to be people with the desire to diminish or put into question the personal achievements of others, such is life, doesn't change anything he's done nor will it alter his future goals. As much of a badas$ as Skurka is, not everyone is a fanboy.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: ok on 01/10/2012 22:26:38 MST Print View

Ha! That thread was a lot nicer than a lot of our more recent ones here.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: ok on 01/10/2012 22:37:42 MST Print View

I won't give Skurka no love until he traverses the entire circumference of the moon. Unsupported. But hey, his base weight will feel MUCH lighter.

Edit: Ok, I just realized that he's done TWO hikes longer than the circumference of the moon. Holy crap.

Edited by T.L. on 01/10/2012 22:44:10 MST.

William Johnson
(Steamboat_Willie)
"would you like to buy friend. please to contact." on 01/11/2012 00:33:33 MST Print View

I only saw one post from a curmudgeonly relativist who dislikes books.

Lucky no one has jumped into that thread and started saying how much Andrew Skurka loves to relax in his Ugg boots and "please to buy."

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Skurka can't get no love on 01/11/2012 07:17:21 MST Print View

I'd put it under "Haters Gonna Hate" and that those who have an issue with him probably are a bit jealous ;-)

As for the book - well as someone who has a lot of experience in self publishing there are two options in the book world now - you go old school and have a book most likely printed in China that is full color and stuffed full of photos or you go with very few photos and publish yourself. To do a book with many photos that is printed (not a digital edition) is very, very pricey - especially if printed in the US. And for him, why would he do it himself? He has so much other things on his plate. It only makes sense if you want to run the business end of the book.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Skurka can't get no love on 01/11/2012 07:41:35 MST Print View

Consider the source. If Trailspace was a computer forum, they'd all be proclaiming their love of the 80286 processor. They're a little behind the times over there.

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
Re: Skurka can't get no love on 01/11/2012 07:52:24 MST Print View

Did portions of that thread get removed? I only saw two comments out of the entire page that where critical of Skurka.

"Forgot to add that rather than by his book and support his goals I will put that $20.00 into my own kitty for my next adventure." -Skimanjohn

"Does he have a real job?" -skibum12

After these comments the rest of the posts where defending Skurka.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Skurka can't get no love on 01/11/2012 09:14:17 MST Print View

Yes - looks like some edits were made after the Moderator got in there.

Looks like Skurka acknowledged the Trailspace commentary on his Facebook page.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Re: Re: Skurka can't get no love on 01/11/2012 10:31:12 MST Print View

Didn't take too long I guess. I checked it about an hour after you linked it and they were gone by then.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Skurka can't get no love on 01/11/2012 13:37:28 MST Print View

Joe
I call it "the nostalgia forum"
Recently a guy was asking about a fair weather tent for his biking trips.
Within two or three posts the usual suspect were discussing snow loading on Hilleberg tents and how much better all European tents are compared to American crap.
Every tent thread is like that, usually mentioning Garuda,Moss and other dead brands.
Franco

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: Skurka can't get no love on 01/11/2012 21:40:38 MST Print View

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/how-i-make-a-living-as-an-adventurer/

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Skurka can't get no love on 01/12/2012 10:02:51 MST Print View

It's interesting to see what gear pieces are chosen for the new book cover. We have golite (3 items), princeton tec (headlamp), jetboil (stove), and swiss army (knife). I cannot figure out the shoes, maybe Salomon.

Edited by jshann on 01/12/2012 10:04:48 MST.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Skurka can't get no love on 01/12/2012 10:09:44 MST Print View

The shoes

http://www.backcountry.com/la-sportiva-raptor-trail-running-shoe-mens

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: Re: Re: Skurka can't get no love on 01/12/2012 10:13:44 MST Print View

La Sportiva Raptor

Edit: Oops, Anna beat me...

Edited by goosefeet on 01/12/2012 10:14:17 MST.

Steven Hanlon
(asciibaron) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
jealous and bitter? on 01/13/2012 11:45:46 MST Print View

i'm sure a number of people who are married and have kids are jealous and bitter that someone has figured out how to do what they can't because they are "trapped" in a lifestyle they chose.

what Andrew is doing is not for everyone nor does it need to be. i enjoy hiking my own hike but i also enjoy learning from the wisdom of others, esp. when that person can find humor in their situation.

a group went out recently and this is the bit of helpful advice i was given about taking advice from others... "he told me i had the tent setup wrong but it's my tent so what does he know? well at 2am when the tent collapsed from the light snow we had, seems he knew plenty"

Steven Hanlon
(asciibaron) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Re: Skurka can't get no love on 01/13/2012 11:48:08 MST Print View

"Consider the source. If Trailspace was a computer forum, they'd all be proclaiming their love of the 80286 processor. They're a little behind the times over there."

this comment is more profound and humorous than that pomade comment. but are you sure it's not a Z80 they'd be defending to the death?

Edited by asciibaron on 01/13/2012 11:48:40 MST.