Looking for thinner Birkenstocks
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Looking for thinner Birkenstocks on 01/09/2012 13:58:57 MST Print View

Not your normal thread for Chaff I guess, but since these won't be for hiking, the Gear forum didn't seem appropriate.

Anyway, as the title says, I'm looking for something like Birkenstock Arizona sandals (no backstrap or flip-flops/thongs!) but thinner or harder. Something to wear everyday, everywhere, with any clothing (including business casual). Bonus if the footbed doesn't feel slimy when wet so I can wear them when it's raining, too. Double bonus if there's actually a little tread so I can wear them in the snow, too.

My used Birks are very used now and I want something even less cushy to build up my feet since I sit behind a PC all day. Thanks.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Looking for thinner Birkenstocks on 01/09/2012 19:29:53 MST Print View

I bought these last month:
http://www.birkenstockusa.com/products/women/clogs/basel/rust-henna-wool-oiled-leather/11284?size=41

I know, theya re ladies but they have some nice new designs. Took about 2 days to get them comfy. I am 34 weeks pregnant and all I wear after 32 weeks is Birks - with each baby. So comfy. Not soft mind you. But my feet don't get all uncomfy! What I like is I cna wear the design with most everything I own. They will be nice for after hiking as well.

But yeah, I wouldn't wear them in snow. I have though worn them in rain.

I bought mine from Amazon directly (Prime Shipping) and got mine for $90.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Birkenstocks on 01/10/2012 09:24:34 MST Print View

Most of the Brikenstock have cork foot beds if the cork foot bed is not thrashed get them resoled. I used to do it at the shoe store I worked at all the time. Birkenstocks used to sell us precut soles to resole them.

Or if you take the Birkenstocks to shoe repairman he can put thiner rubber out sole on your sandal it will not be as cushy and also you have to monitor the sole wear on each shoe get it resoled before it hit the cork footbed.Or you will wreck the Birkenstock.
Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 01/10/2012 09:25:51 MST.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Birkenstocks on 01/10/2012 11:45:18 MST Print View

Hadn't thought of resoling. That could work I suppose if there was a place in town that could do it.

Maybe these have a lot more life than I think. The rubber is still plenty thick (tread lines still visible except at the balls) except at the outer rear heels where cork has started to show. Even though I don't scuffle or drag my feet at all (don't really heel strike in these), I think them being loose sandals they naturally hit the ground there and have gotten sanded off almost.

I still hate the feel of the cork when it gets wets. Feels like I'm walking on algae.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Looking for thinner Birkenstocks on 01/11/2012 10:31:22 MST Print View

Any cobbler /shoe repair can cut soles out of any resoling material the have. Or this link will help you getting them resoled.
http://www.groundedsoles.com/repair_info.html

But Chaco sandals are the closest to rubber Birkenstocks in the footbed design for using in water . The only difference is the rubber rebounds back to shape. The cork footbed take a weeks to months to mold to your foot.
Terry