Forum Index » GEAR » The MSRatauk SuperGnat (Gaz *and* Threaded!)

Display Avatars Sort By:
pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
SuperGnat on 01/09/2012 08:55:04 MST Print View

Hard to tell if this thread is joking or serious, but for anyone curious about the Gnat - which I use as my primary stove - unscrewing requires nothing different than screwing the stove on the canister. I know some stoves are tough to take apart, some require tiny screws, some use threadlock. The Gnat is not like that at all. A very simple twist unscrews it. Not unlike taking it off the canister itself, actually. The idea that this could damage the stove is ridiculous.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Gnat efficiency on 01/09/2012 09:06:09 MST Print View

So did you ever do any Gnat efficiency compared to other canister stoves?

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: SuperGnat! on 01/09/2012 09:09:26 MST Print View

"There's a moral here somewhere..."

Yes there is. Don't take apart other peoples things without asking. Which is what the stink is about. Not maintenance issues.

As for the stove I am sure many heads and bodies can be swapped around.

I see no reason to mix and match.

Don't see much of those Gaz cartridges around much anymore. I suspect they will fall to the roadside too.

Edited by kthompson on 01/09/2012 18:37:40 MST.

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Re: The MSRatauk SuperGnat (Gaz *and* Threaded!) on 01/09/2012 09:35:53 MST Print View

In general, using a burner with a jet from another stove does not usually work, so that this does is lucky on two counts!
Expensive tho'. A less expensive option is to use a Markill/Edelrid adaptor

markill adaptor

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: SuperGnat! on 01/09/2012 09:40:45 MST Print View

>"Don't see much of those Gaz cartridges around much anymore."

I can buy fuel a fair bit cheaper in Gaz canisters locally than in MSR canisters, mostly because Gaz is stocked in 230 and 450 grams while MSR is stocked in 113 and 227 grams.

>"I suspect they will fall to the roadside too."

I'm by the roadside, but just barely - I'm at the western extreme of the North American road system. 5,000 people in town, but a lot of people come from all over the world to play with their food (hunting and fishing).

With how strong Gaz is in France and how the French patronize anything French, I suspect it will remain dominant in France, moderate in Europe, and a minor player in North America. Anyone know if that propagates out into Francophone areas around the world? Quebec, former African colonies, etc? British East African countries still are tied to British de-facto standards even while being upset at their former rulers.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: SuperGnat on 01/09/2012 09:51:23 MST Print View

I have loaned out over two thousand dollars worth of gear over the winter season to hikers around the world. If I was worried about them getting trashed I would not have sent them out. That which is most precious to me is still in my house.

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Re: Re: Re: SuperGnat! on 01/09/2012 10:19:18 MST Print View

"With how strong Gaz is in France and how the French patronize anything French, I suspect it will remain dominant in France, moderate in Europe, and a minor player in North America."

Guess what - CampingGaz is owned by Coleman.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Great info. Thanks, Jim. on 01/09/2012 10:36:35 MST Print View

Jim, That's a nice way to more fully utilize the stove. Bopping around Africa or Asia, you can find the most unexpected things available or unavailable, IME. Having twice the canister options would be sweet.
Twice? At least. I'll post more about that later.

And, when you want the basic, less flexible Gnat with its lighter weight (when you know you can get threaded canisters), it is a really quick swap back.
30 seconds once you've done it a couple of times. No tools. Hand tighten. Test before trail use.

If I loan you my Prius, would you put a battery-only button in it like the Japanese models have? There have been numerous times I've wanted that option.
Prius? Is that standard threaded or Camping Gaz? ;)

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Edited by hikin_jim on 01/09/2012 11:34:43 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: SuperGnat on 01/09/2012 11:13:51 MST Print View

"That which is most precious to me is still in my house."

+1

Just curious, why was the stove loaned out in the first place if not to be 'tested?'

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: SuperGnat! on 01/09/2012 11:23:04 MST Print View

Ken Thompson wrote: > Jim is not the owner. That is the point.
Unfortunatly, you are correct. Clearly my bad. :(

I have yet to have to take apart a canister stove in over 30 years of camping. My current stove is 10 years old.
I think I'm going to disagree with you a bit there. It's not that your experience is invalid. On the contrary, experience is very important.

But may I suggest my experience may be more than that of the average stove user's. I believe my bio on Seattle Backpackers Magazine states that I own over a hundred backpacking type stoves. Actually, there should be an "S" after the word "hundred." I own hundreds of such stoves ranging in age from over 100 years (old, classic brass kero stoves) to stoves such high tech modern stoves as the Capillary Force Vaporizer stove developed by MSR for the US military. I literally have lost track of how many stoves I have.

I also have volunteered with a local outdoors wilderness training program. Among other things, I put on stove repair clinics. I've seen and repaired more gas and liquid fueled stoves than most people will ever see in a life time. The worst clog in a jet I've ever seen? An old MSR RapidFire (a remote canister gas stove). I don't know how this student managed to do this, but I worked for what seemed like hours on his stove to clear the jet. The RapidFire has a jet shaped like a golf tee. The "stem" is hollow inside and of a larger diameter than the jet aperture. Carbon had built up inside the stem. Every time I would clear the jet orifice and get the stove running, carbon would flake off from inside the stem and re-block the jet. I had to finally hand craft a dowel to scrape the the stem and scour it clean. Worked like a champ. I can list other jet related problems on gas stoves.

Perhaps a month ago, I was out testing alcohol stoves in the field. A local scout troop was there. One of the scouts had an Optimus Crux Lite that wouldn't work. Naturally I volunteered to help. A Crux Lite for those don't know is very very similar to a Monatauk Gnat. I did the same maneuver as I did on the Gnat featured in the original post of this thread. I cleared the jet, reassembled, the stove, handed it back to the scout. The stove worked fine.

So, yes, gas stoves require far less maintenance than liquid fueled stoves, but less does not equal zero.

I submit to you and to others that I am qualified, quite qualified, to do something as trivial as the type of "disassembly" required to clean a jet on a stove.

My error? I should have asked first. Bad judgement on my part. I just lost a job of 21+ years a few days prior. Were my mental faculties up to par? Perhaps not. No excuse though. It was at the very least inconsiderate on my part.

Was the procedure I performed (disassembly like that of cleaning a jet) in some way irresponsible in and of itself? Certainly not. It's about as complicated as opening the lid of a Nalgene bottle. Has the stove been damaged in any way. No. Is there anything that would indicate the necessity of replacing the stove? No. This Gnat is as good as day I received it.

Would I replace an XGK stove because someone removed the spreader plate to clear the jet? Of course not. Neither would I replace a Gnat simply because someone unscrewed the burner column to clear the jet.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
Keep it private on 01/09/2012 11:37:45 MST Print View

First, I would ask Bob why exactly he thought he was loaning out a stove to a guy who already owns 100's of stoves. Seems like testing and review would have been part of the deal which to me would have implied permission to disassemble parts in a manner approved of in an owners manual for maintenance.

Second, I would ask Bob why he called out Jim publicly instead of through email or pm?

Yeah, I just did that publicly.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Keep it private on 01/09/2012 12:09:53 MST Print View

Diego: +1 on each point.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
MSR Capillary Force Vaporizer stove. on 01/09/2012 12:31:11 MST Print View

" I own hundreds of such stoves ranging in age from over 100 years (old, classic brass kero stoves) to stoves such high tech modern stoves as the Capillary Force Vaporizer stove developed by MSR for the US military."

Any chance of a review of that Capillary stove, Jim? Or did i miss it somewhere?

M

Edited by bigfoot2 on 01/09/2012 12:32:26 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
The MSRatauk SuperGnat (Gaz *and* Threaded!) on 01/09/2012 12:52:58 MST Print View

"Hard to tell if this thread is joking or serious"
Thank you Curt.
If you look at my reply,11th in the first page, it should be clear that I thought Bob was winding Jim up and I went along with that.
Of course I forgot that I am in Australia and he is not...
Yesterday when I realised that Bob was indeed serious I thought better of not putting any public comment because I knew that they would not be all that polite...
(I did send Jim a PM)

For the record, I know nothing about stoves but I have taken a couple apart in the same way. A 6 year old child can do that and put them back together.
Franco

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
supergnat v1 on 01/09/2012 13:08:13 MST Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=35809

btw

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: MSR Capillary Force Vaporizer stove. on 01/09/2012 14:16:40 MST Print View

Any chance of a review of that Capillary stove, Jim? Or did i miss it somewhere?
Oh, Goodness, Matthew,

Be careful what you ask for. Do you know how many oddball and esoteric stoves I have? lol.

Ever hear of a Rando 360? Let's just say that a Jetboil wasn't the first to pack itself and its fuel into its own cookpot.

How about a Vulcan Safety Chef? A "rocket stove" but not for wood.

A Campak Cookette? 7/16ths threaded canister but with a male connector and definitely not UNEF threads. There were a number valved canisters before the current standard threaded was adopted.

How about the first radiant heat burner? The MSR Reactor was most certainly not the first. Gerry was there long before MSR.

Or how about a 100% butane stove that works just fine in cold weather? It had a wick inside the canister and fed in liquid butane. Better performance in cold weather than a Reactor or any modern upright stove for that matter. (Actually, I have posted that one; it's the Hank Roberts. Developed in the 1960's; it compare quite well with modern gas stoves).

Notice I haven't even mentioned any of my old kero stoves. Do you know how beautiful the brass shines on a real Primus liquid fuel stove?. Real as in before the brand was sold to Optimus in 1961. Made in Sweden, not just stamped "Sweden". Back when the cases were hand painted?

Be careful what you ask for. I actually, believe it or not, do own a lot of stoves.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: supergnat v1 on 01/09/2012 14:30:11 MST Print View

Fred eric wrote: >http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=35809
Thank you Fred (eric?). I was not aware of that thread, but as it says on my blog Mark F, a BPL member, is the one who tipped me off that such a thing was possible.

I included a warning in my blog post. I post warnings because there could indeed be a problem and if there were a problem it could be quite serious indeed. I don't want some 10 year old cub scout with a web browser to see what I write and blow himself up. I think any adult who has a bit of common sense and some experience with gas stoves could pull it off quite easily. One just has to exercise due care. It takes all of 30 seconds and works as though it came from the factory that way.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Keep it private on 01/09/2012 15:26:13 MST Print View

"First, I would ask Bob why exactly he thought he was loaning out a stove to a guy who already owns 100's of stoves. Seems like testing and review would have been part of the deal which to me would have implied permission to disassemble parts in a manner approved of in an owners manual for maintenance."

Diego, I agreed to loan my favorite stove to HJ, and in his words it was for "testing." If he had asked to do "testing and disassembly," then I would have gone the other way. If he had intended to disassemble the thing, then he should have asked in advance. No way do I loan out my favorite stove so that somebody can tinker around with it and see how it looks on the inside. If HJ really wants to do that, then I suggest that he ponies up his own cash for a stove.

Diego, there is no disassembly procedure. Well, there is no owners manual for that matter. There is no recommended maintenance.

Diego, why don't you ship your favorite stove to HJ and let him put a wrench to it?

--B.G.--

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
MSR Capillary Force Vaporizer stove. on 01/09/2012 15:41:40 MST Print View

" Any chance of a review of that Capillary stove, Jim? Or did i miss it somewhere?

Oh, Goodness, Matthew,

Be careful what you ask for. Do you know how many oddball and esoteric stoves I have? lol."

Jim...you didn't answer my question :)

M

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Test this! on 01/09/2012 15:51:51 MST Print View

Hey, if you'll disassemble and test my old XGK, I'll send it for immediate review, Jim. I can't get the durn cable thingy in the tube part to come the heck out, but I understand there's a hidden note on foil from the MSR designer in there...