Cat food can stove: side can opener or not
Display Avatars Sort By:
Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
Cat food can stove: side can opener or not on 01/08/2012 13:01:05 MST Print View

When making a cat can stove will using a side can opener versus a rotating wheel opener impact the strength of the top lip of the stove? Is that top lip especially important to the overall strength of the can?

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Cat food can stove: side can opener or not on 01/08/2012 13:07:03 MST Print View

Why are you using a can opener?

Every cat can stove I've made (ala the instructions on Andrew Skurka's website) was done so by just removing the top with the pull tab.

Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
Cat food stove on 01/08/2012 13:49:43 MST Print View

Craig,

I'm experimenting. thanks

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: Cat food can stove: side can opener or not on 01/13/2012 12:45:55 MST Print View

Gabe,

Yes, that lip is going to make the stove a little stronger. Significantly so? I'm not sure. You could try it. But I don't think you would gain much. Maybe a gram or so of weight loss.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: Cat food can stove: side can opener or not on 01/13/2012 14:16:40 MST Print View

Using a side opener will make the rim weaker. Use a rotating wheel opener. It leaves a nice ring of material on the inside of the can to strengthen it.