Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » Help with planning a southern Utah trip in early June

Display Avatars Sort By:
Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
Help with planning a southern Utah trip in early June? on 01/07/2012 06:56:37 MST Print View

I have never been to southern Utah; are there areas that can be done early summer? If I go Spring Break or Thanksgiving I face having to fly due to time constraints, which I'd really like to avoid if possible. Christmas could be an option if early summer is not advisable,but weather could pose a driving problem coming from TX. I'd like to see several areas while I'm there since it's a long way from home. Can anyone recommend a good general guidebook or website they've found useful? I've read about Kelsey and his guidebooks :), and I did order "Canyon Country Hiking and Natural History" Barnes, F. L.
As always,
Thanks!

edited to shorten content.

Edited by leighb on 01/07/2012 07:42:21 MST.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Help with planning a southern Utah trip in early June? on 01/07/2012 11:22:22 MST Print View

Zion in early June was hot on the mesas but cool in the canyons. A day trip up the narrows shouldn't require a wetsuit but you will need a stout hiking pole, good shoes with mesh as they will be submerged 85% of the time. Neat trip though. Bryce maybe nice depending on snowpak this year.

The Canyonlands Chesler park area is dry but a parking lot is central to this area, so a trip around it, using your car for emergency water is possible.

Looking like a dry winter for the entire Western USA right now however.

(ed: caps)

Edited by hknewman on 01/07/2012 11:23:40 MST.