Forum Index » Chaff » Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/06/2012 20:00:40 MST Print View

I just came in from a good trail run up a local peak, a place and headspace in which most of my best thinking occurs. As I'm burning my way up the hill, I started to think about a good friend I met through BPL years ago, Michael Skwarczek, who's currently travelling in South America.

And then I thought about Adan Lopez, another person I've met through BPL who's come to be a great friend (as well as his family).

And then there's Nick Gatel, another friend I met through this site, have done some trips with and has always shown great generosity.

And Rob Vandiver, also of BPL, who I had the pleasure of sharing a trip up the Sespe and night in a palm grove with.

And Josh Billings and his son Ocean, with whom I shared a great night up in the Tableland Meadows...

And many more I've met in passing here and there, all good people.

And then there's all of those that I have corresponded with regularly or individually at some point and yet have never met in person- I look forward to doing so someday: Eugene Smith, Tom Kirchner, the Most Generous Douglas Ide, Brian Maynard, David C., Ken Thomson, the whole 2012 R2R2R running crew...

And then there are all of those that I feel like I've sort of gotten to know, though we don't really speak outside of the forums here...too many names to name- please don't be offended- but suffice to say, it's all you regular regulars.

So when I think about all the flak that Ryan Jordan and the rest of BPL have taken over the years (and especially recent months) over what this site "should" be offering...

It doesn't matter.

There are still so many good people here that I've yet to meet, yet know that I eventually will, that I do not believe BPL has to "do" anything or "go" anywhere. Just keep doing what you do.

So to Ryan Jordan and the entire BPL staff, thank you for creating what you've created; I wouldn't know any of these people were it not for this site.

Edit...Dammit, this is reading like an Oscar speech and I know I'll regret leaving out some names tomorrow...forgive me!

Edited by xnomanx on 01/06/2012 20:08:10 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/06/2012 20:03:13 MST Print View

I think I need to start running more.

Excellent post.

Dan M
(r4gl7q) - MLife

Locale: Arizona
Re: Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/06/2012 20:07:28 MST Print View

Wow, this is what I've been thinking for the last couple months ... but which Craig put so well.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/06/2012 20:07:54 MST Print View

I couldn't agree more, Craig!

Thanks to everyone who has made this place so enjoyable :)

Todd

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/06/2012 20:09:29 MST Print View

Good on you, Craig! That is exactly why I am still here at BPL after all this time, even after some pretty hairy meltdowns. And whatever I may criticize in what Ryan has to say, I'm grateful for his having created this place and time. It is something I treasure everyday, and many of the people here have become real friends, both in good times and bad. If I didn't live so far away in Japan I'm sure I'd have made a lot more effort to meet many of you, go hiking with you, in person.

Thanks for that, Craig. (and you'd definitely be one of those I'd love to meet and talk with and share a joke with...)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/06/2012 20:11:16 MST Print View

"There are still so many good people here that I've yet to meet, yet know that I eventually will, that I do not believe BPL has to "do" anything or "go" anywhere. Just keep doing what you do."

A truly great insight! Good on ya, Craig.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: on 01/06/2012 20:25:53 MST Print View

Given the trend in some recent threads, this has been on my mind lately. Thanks for putting it so eloquently.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/06/2012 20:41:04 MST Print View

What Craig said.......+1.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/06/2012 20:51:23 MST Print View

Bravo!

So true for me as well. A whole list of people that have enriched my life.

You should come up for the GGG Craig. Come with Adan.

Edited by kthompson on 01/06/2012 20:54:10 MST.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/06/2012 20:54:05 MST Print View

Thank you for this, a welcome change of pace.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I am calling you out! on 01/06/2012 20:56:58 MST Print View

I have not been on a solo trip in quite some time because of the website!
+1 +1 +1 +1

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/06/2012 20:59:50 MST Print View

Given that I come off as such an opinionated jerk on these forums, Im surprise anyone would want to meet me!
I have come to know so many people from here and never got to meet a single person.
The New England get togethers may change that but I will have to wait for spring!

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/06/2012 21:05:29 MST Print View

And the Oscar goes to . . . Ryan and Staff, of course!!!

Thanks for putting words to the thoughts shared by so many, Craig.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/07/2012 04:07:58 MST Print View

Well said, Craig!

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/07/2012 07:41:21 MST Print View

Very, very well said.

Tom

Joe Newton
(grayjoe)
Re: Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/07/2012 08:13:56 MST Print View

Preach it brother. Well said.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out!" on 01/07/2012 10:00:09 MST Print View

I hope that sometimes when Ryan is driving or hanging out or whatever that it pops in to his mind - "That's a pretty cool thing I did".

Because it is.

Edited by davidlutz on 01/07/2012 10:05:15 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/07/2012 15:07:39 MST Print View

Nice post.

+1

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
bpl on 01/07/2012 16:42:31 MST Print View

while there are issues with BPL ... it is by far and away the best site for information ... the technical articles are superb

thanks for all the staff for their hardwork

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: Ryan Jordan and BPL Staff, I'm calling you out! on 01/07/2012 20:09:47 MST Print View

word.