Forum Index » GEAR » Skyscape in colder conditions?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Cravens
(packpack) - M

Locale: Cumberland Plateau
Skyscape in colder conditions? on 01/06/2012 11:17:07 MST Print View

I have a Skyscape Scout that I will be doing some backpacking with in colder temps. Has anyone had any experience with the Scout in below freezing weather? Probably nothing below 25 degrees F. I really liked the tent this summer and fall, but it is fairly open. Any experiences or tips for colder weather?

Jason

Edited by packpack on 01/06/2012 11:17:42 MST.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
TT Moment experience in snow on 01/06/2012 12:51:09 MST Print View

My TT Moment in constant high winds (35 -45 mph.) was BREEZY even with a 1 ft. high snow wall around the front and clothes laid on the floor level netting.

Had there been blowing snow the spindrift would have come right inside the tent.

The Skyscape, being a hybrid (partial) double wall, may be a bit warmer and W/O the Moment's ground level netting may be better suited to keep out more (but not all) spindrift. But you DON'T want to use the Skyscape's optional porch on cold nights.

I think the Skyscape could be improved with TarpTent-like closeable peak vents.

Edited by Danepacker on 01/06/2012 12:53:07 MST.

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: TT Moment experience in snow on 01/06/2012 15:46:35 MST Print View

This brings up an issue brought up on a different thread: Can you set up a Skyscape in such a way to pin one side (or the other) to the ground. I know there are condensation issues with this, but if it's cold and windy, maybe it is worth it.

Jason Cravens
(packpack) - M

no snow yet on 01/06/2012 16:20:01 MST Print View

As of right now, no snow is predicted for the trip. I am going in two weeks. I will try to keep one side closer to the ground and block most of the wind. I guess I will find out soon.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Skyscape in colder conditions? on 01/06/2012 16:25:13 MST Print View

Do you have a bivy?

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Too Much Ventilation on 01/06/2012 16:30:35 MST Print View

Are you concerned about too much ventilation?

I suspect the Skyscape does a pretty good job of blocking most wind. Just don't consider it as a way to hold in a lot of heat. That is the job of your sleeping bag/quilt/clothing.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: TT Moment experience in snow on 01/06/2012 17:11:00 MST Print View

"Can you set up a Skyscape in such a way to pin one side (or the other) to the ground."

Maybe try shortening the windward pole a couple of inches and retensioning guy lines on both ends? Assuming trekking pole use here. I haven't tried this yet, but I will, based on this thread.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F - M

Locale: British Columbia
Skyscape in colder conditions? on 01/06/2012 17:40:14 MST Print View

Tom -

My concern with dropping the pole height is that doing so often collapses the bathtub floor in single wall tents. I know nothing about the hybrids so please let us know how it goes if you try staking it out low to the ground.

Jason Cravens
(packpack) - M

down on 01/06/2012 17:40:37 MST Print View

I have the appropriate bag,pad, and clothing. Just curious if anyone had any cold weather stories.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Skyscape in colder conditions? @ Mike on 01/06/2012 17:47:29 MST Print View

"My concern with dropping the pole height is that doing so often collapses the bathtub floor in single wall tents."

I'll post after I get around to setting up my Skyscape. One of the things I want to check out is how the bathtub floor is tensioned. I'm also concerned about altering the geometry of the pitch in a way the compromises stability in windy conditions. It's too cruddy outside to do it now, in case I decide I want to return it. The sun will eventually shine around here long enough to dry things out, and pitching the Skyscape will be my number one priority then.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: Re: Skyscape in colder conditions? @ Mike on 01/06/2012 23:32:42 MST Print View

The Skyscape is very similar to the Lightheart Solo I used on the PCT last year. I got to see it at a few trail festivals and the difference between the two in this situation is negligible. You can shorten a windward pole so the fly is at ground level on one side without compromising the bathtub floor. The mesh droops, but that's what its designed to do. Keep ventilation on the other side. No worries.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Skyscape in colder conditions? @ Mike on 01/07/2012 17:15:48 MST Print View

"You can shorten a windward pole so the fly is at ground level on one side without compromising the bathtub floor."

Thanks for the feedback, David. That is good to know.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F - M

Locale: British Columbia
Skyscape in colder conditions? on 01/07/2012 17:32:47 MST Print View

Thanks David and Tom, much appreciated.

Maybe at a later date (when the weather improves?), one of you would be kind enough to post a picture or two of the Skyscape buttoned down close to the ground :)

Jason Cravens
(packpack) - M

thanks on 01/07/2012 19:20:17 MST Print View

Thanks for all the replies. I will be leaving the 21st for this trip, update and pics to follow.