The Thankful Thread
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
The Thankful Thread on 01/06/2012 03:20:51 MST Print View

We begin a new year. It's a time that's traditionally seen as a "reset" point. A chance to begin anew with resolutions and changes we want to make in our lives.

The last several months have seen a lot of crazy threads on BPL, and I need not go into that further. So what I'd like to do is say what I'm thankful for, instead of what I wish I had, or how I wish differently the way things were.

I don't make a ton of money and I live very modestly. I have some nice things, but I work and save hard for them. I need a new car but can't easily afford a new one right now. I would like a higher paying job. I rent an apartment, because I can't afford a mortgage right now. And the list could go on...

But you know what? That's a lot more than some folks, and so, I am thankful.

I'm thankful that I can afford the things I'm able to. I'm thankful that I have a car that gets me to where I need to go. I'm thankful that I have a job that pays. I'm thankful that I can afford an apartment that keeps me warm and safe.

And the list goes on...

I'm thankful for a wonderful and loving family as well as my fantastic friends that I can lean on when I need to. For a beautiful, loving, supporting wife. For my good health. That I live in the country that affords the freedoms I have (regardless of its faults). That I get to enjoy the wilderness. I'm even thankful I get to share exchanges with all you goofy people. :) And the list goes on...

Regardless of where you are in life, you've probably got something to be pretty dang thankful for. What is it?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: The Thankful Thread on 01/06/2012 07:36:12 MST Print View

I am thankful they recalled enough senators in Wisconsin to eliminate the tyranny of those extremists - not quit a majority but close enough

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: The Thankful Thread on 01/06/2012 09:06:26 MST Print View

I am thankful to be pregnant again. I am also thankful that I have maybe 4 to 6 weeks left of carrying around Triple B #3 (Bowling Ball Buns). I'll be extra thankful when I can push him, not haul him :-P

I am thankful my husband has a good job, with good health insurance.

I am thankful I live in a country that allows me most of the freedoms I want.

I am thankful for a mild winter so far.

I am thankful I live in a pretty state and not somewhere like Kansas (I kid!!)

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re Re Thankful Thread on 01/06/2012 09:28:46 MST Print View

Good idea Travis

I'm thankful that...

I went through experiences that were tough at the time but they made me a stronger person in the end.

I live in a country that for all its faults stills offers me more freedom and more oppurtunity than most people throughout history have enjoyed.

When I broke my arm it was my arm not my neck (almost was).

When my car spun out in the snow it went to the left into the ditch not to the right off the cliff.

When we were stupid and went kayaking on an unknown and flooded creek I didn't drown

I have great parents and awesome siblings that I actually get along with.

I haven't made much money in years but somehow I've never quit run out.

My mother did the hard work to make sure I did well in school so later I would have oppurtunies others did not have.

I got to do some amazing hikes this year.

Man I'm a luck man!

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: The Thankful Thread on 01/06/2012 09:35:11 MST Print View

I'm thankful that I'm healthy, wealthy* and happy.

*compared to my needs

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: The Thankful Thread on 01/06/2012 11:51:01 MST Print View

I'm thankful for living in a gorgeous place.

Having the flexibility to spend lots of time with my kids and in the outdoors.

That at 50, I have the health and mobility to hike 50 miles.

It's a beautiful, 5F, sunny, snowy day today.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
The Thankful Thread on 01/06/2012 12:03:42 MST Print View

I'm thankful for my sweet puppy.

I'm thankful that I don't have any children, so I can be as selfish with my time and money as I want to be (and I am, very.....;-).

I'm thankful that I get to chat and have a bit o' fun with all of you (welllllllllllll, okay, most of you.......).

I'm thankful that at 53, I still don't look a day over 52.

I'm thankful for the people who have made a difference in my life - there are many, many more than they know/realize.

I'm thankful for organic dark chocolate.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
The Thankful Thread on 01/06/2012 13:52:34 MST Print View

My family.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"The Thankful Thread" on 01/06/2012 14:06:42 MST Print View

I consider everyday a blessing. I'm thankful for the grace that I walk under, the health I've been given, and the family that genuinely cares about me as an individual.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
gratitude on 01/06/2012 17:43:54 MST Print View

I, too, consider everything a blessing... both the good and the bad. Just after Canadian Thanksgiving I made a blog post called gratitude. Here is a copy of it...

This weekend past, our family celebrated Thanksgiving. I had purposely cooked the turkey dinner on Sunday so that we could spend yesterday afternoon together, rather than being a slave to the stove. It was a wonderfully relaxing day and I appreciated the precious time spent with Bryan and the kids. This brings me to my topic—gratitude.

Every night I lie in bed and think about what wonderful things the day brought. Reflecting helps me to stay positive and to focus my energies where they belong. Even on the worst of days I can find a place for gratitude. Here are some of those things…

:: Bryan
:: my darling children (Tobias and Kaia)
:: love
:: friendship – both the budding and the blossomed
:: our dog Thomson
:: the cool crisp air of a fall day
:: the sound of leaves crunching beneath my hiking boots
:: quiet mornings
:: coffee
:: naps
:: story time with my baby girl
:: seeing my son curl up with a book
:: family movie time on a quiet afternoon
:: hugs
:: the way the rays of the early morning sun filter through the old windows
:: music
:: watching my children dance
:: life

So, what are you grateful for today?

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
re:"The Thankful Thread" on 01/06/2012 19:42:36 MST Print View

I often think about how incredibly blessed I am. I don't have any family, but I'm thankful to have many friends. Oh, and a great dog and cat :)

I don't own a big house, but I'm blessed with an adorable small(986 sf)home that more than meets my needs. But, if the market wasn't so bad I'd sell it and build something even smaller.

I own a small car, but I'm thankful that it's easy on gas and gets me to the trail head and back (well except when I foolishly left a dome light on and ran the battery down on a three day trip, and then I was blessed to come upon a father and daughter,going the opposite direction, who didn't know me from Adam, but handed over their only car key, told me where their battery cables were,and where to leave the key; they were the ones that informed me about my car, as they'd arrived at the trail head the night before...talk about trail angels!)

I'm very thankful as a teacher in Texas to still have a job....so far :). And, if I can hold on to it for 3 more years I can retire and hike all year around!

I'm thankful that at nearly 57 I'm in good health (my mother died at 56 and both of my younger siblings are gone as well.)

I'm thankful that I live in the country and don't have to deal with traffic,crowds,etc,and can sleep at night with my windows open when the weather's nice. I'm thankful my commute to work takes me through rolling countryside with beautiful things to see along the way, albeit, the occasional loose farm animal to dodge ;)last week it was someone's yearling longhorns which had decided the grass was greener on the other side of the fence :)

And yes, I'm thankful to live in a country,(despite it's warts)where I have the freedom to enjoy the things I love.

And lastly, I'm thankful that I discovered BPL and HF before I wasted lots of money on heavy inappropriate gear!

Edited by leighb on 01/07/2012 06:11:13 MST.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: The Thankful Thread on 01/07/2012 23:31:07 MST Print View

I am thankful for this thread.

and lots of other things too.

such as:
- my sweety wife
- my sweety weee ones
- the apostle Paul
- our neighbors cat that comes to visit
- house
- climbing
- copper pots for cooking
- local gluten free bakeries
- crimson clover sprouting in December & January
- huckleberries still on the shrubbery

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: The Thankful Thread on 01/08/2012 08:13:16 MST Print View

Good topic. There are so many things to be thankful for in my life, especially since I don't deserve any of them. Here is just a short list for me...

-Our 3yr old daughter that is nothing but energy, smiles, and laughs. The closeness and joy that she has brought into my heart far outweighs any pitiful way I could describe them here. But, if you're a parent then I really don't have to.

-Our beautiful son that was born this May. I should really call him our "sun" because his smiles light up our home and brings warmth to our hearts. What an awesome addition to our family.

-My wife who continues to show her amazing qualities every day. Excellent mother, friend, wife
and person. Guys- Do everything you can to marry up like I did.

-wonderful friends
-a job that pays well enough to support my family and give us a little left over to see some of life's wonders
-chocolate covered cashews
-the Fantasy Football thrashing that I handed to my coworkers
-St. Croix fly rods and all the gullible trout that they have landed
-the Appalachian Mtn's and her streams, valleys, trees, and peaks.

-A loving God that with the trillions of other things going on in this universe still takes the time to think of me and give me the above, even though I give very little back in return sometimes.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 01/08/2012 08:16:12 MST.

Gerry Volpe
(gvolpe)

Locale: Vermont
Thankful on 01/08/2012 09:36:44 MST Print View

-Family and friends especially our baby Maya
-Growing up in a place and time, with a family that allowed me to focus on life experience instead of survival
-a career I enjoy
-living in a beautiful place
-that though we live simply we are more fortunate than most on the planet
-the non-hiking threads have become decidedly more positive

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Thankful on 01/08/2012 12:42:42 MST Print View

I am thankful for Aristotle, John Locke, and Thomas Jefferson.

I am thankful for the great artists, composers, poets, and writers.

I am thankful for the great scientists, inventors, and innovators.

I am thankful for the above average entrepreneurs who created the products and jobs so I have plenty of liesure time to enjoy my hobbies and everything above.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Thankful on 01/10/2012 05:20:45 MST Print View

Thank heaven for air conditioning and modern plumbing!

Leslie Thurston
(lesler) - F

Locale: right here, right now
giving thanks! on 01/10/2012 05:34:19 MST Print View

constantly! thanking higher powers for my health
and for the gift of knowing/having discerned
WHAT is real,
how to LIVE it real,
and how KEEP it real.
lt

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F