Forum Index » GEAR » lightest windshirt that can withstand backpack abrasion

Display Avatars Sort By:
Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
Re: Air permeability on 01/09/2012 14:36:33 MST Print View

richard - while we are going down the laundry-list of windshirts, do you have numbers for the wild things windshirt in epic?

thanks -

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: Air permeability on 01/09/2012 15:54:40 MST Print View

Richard,

All of the Wild Things Epic polyester products I tested had very low air permeability. The tests included three different windshirts, as part of product variability analysis. Their Frazier CFM values were .62, .74, and 1.30. Their Epic pants are made from a lighter weight polyester fabric than their jackets; it tested 3.32.

This morning I took a short break from a very big project and now I have to go back to it for the foreseeable future. So, I won't have time for additional posts on this topic.

Edited by richard295 on 01/09/2012 21:00:52 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: lightest windshirt that can withstand backpack abrasion on 01/09/2012 20:11:49 MST Print View

my Houdini is going on five years and used every trip (including lots of day hikes and trail runs)- no windshirt is going to be bombproof, but the Houdini is pretty darn impressive for as light as it is

personally I wouldn't even consider a windshirt w/o a hood, I've used mine too many times to consider going w/o one

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
Re: Re: Re: Air permeability on 01/10/2012 08:19:53 MST Print View

richard - thanks for the information.

Edited by RICKO on 01/10/2012 08:20:45 MST.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
lightest windshirt that can withstand backpack abrasion on 01/12/2012 11:14:26 MST Print View

When I found a Houdini at Realgoods for $43, I decided to just go with public opinion, and send the Golite Dakota back. Plus I get a hood, and full zipper. The downside is it's a horrible orange called "clementine", a word I have hated, for fairly obvious reasons, since 2nd grade. Oh well, a deal is a deal. Hopefully this will work on my bike too.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: lightest windshirt that can withstand backpack abrasion on 01/12/2012 15:14:43 MST Print View

So lets look at the bright side... you will be more visible on your bike; that is a good thing. And if you are embarrassed hiking with it, then you just might start hiking solo to avoid the fashion-conscious people on the trail; that is a good thing too. When Marmot phased out the Essence rain jacket, I could only get some sort of caution orange in my size... but it doesn't matter because very few people are going to see it :)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: lightest windshirt that can withstand backpack abrasion on 01/12/2012 18:37:41 MST Print View

I love my "clementine" houdini I do have a black one though for more dressy occasions! :)

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
lightest windshirt that can withstand backpack abrasion on 01/12/2012 19:01:48 MST Print View

That clementine color is actually less loud than what I usually wear on the bike, but it should get the job done.

Evan McCarthy
(evanrussia) - MLife

Locale: Northern Europe
Another vote for the Houdini on 01/12/2012 19:31:31 MST Print View

The Houdini is incredible. Apart from the other benefits described above, it can form the perfect high-breathability shell for on-the-go colder weather. A perfect piece to add to the clothing line of any backpacker.

Richard Colfack
(richfax) - MLife

Locale: ARIZONA
Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer Anorak on 05/02/2012 08:45:09 MDT Print View

I just saw this 2012 jacket on MH's website. It weighs a claimed 1.9 ounces. I haven't used one so not sure if it can withstand backpack abrasion. It's stripped of everything to save weight; there's no hood, no pockets, and it's a half zip. Material is listed as "Whisperer 7D x 10D Ripstop". A couple reviewers noted that it doesn't breathe.