As I mentioned in an earlier post, I really liked this concept, so I followed your lead and tried to apply this to my own gear before breaking the piggy for another purchase.
I turns out that the Evernew 600ml short & wide pot that I purchased with my sidewinder Ti-Tri kit sits almost perfectly at the same height (under normal Esbit set up) as it does if it were placed on the Starlyte stove with pot stand. If I recall from my own measurements, I think the height from stove differed by approximately 1 to 2 mm, or 0.08 inches….close enough for me. With the sidewinder cone rolled up inside my Evernew 600, I can still get the stove and a Bic lighter, along with the cone inside the pot without modifying a single thing. Plus, I have the benefit of nesting the stove all the way down into the cone as per the original intention, maximising efficiency.
So, in line with your goals, I now have a stove that requires no priming, fits inside the pot, which also fits the cone…awesome.
So I tried to take this a step further, and see if I could fit some fuel in the pot also. After looking at every plastic bottle in every isle in my supermarket, I managed to find and purchase a small Listerine bottle (80 or 100ml I think…I’ve forgotten…however it is the same shape as the large bottles with a safety cap) up inside the cone. This worked….perfect…just enough fuel for either a quick overnighter/two day adventure. The measuring cup can also sit upside down on the cap of the fuel bottle too, inside the peak of the cone.
So...the approx. weight at this stage for pot with original lid, cone, Starlyte stove with lid = 135 grams.
Excellent…good enough for me! Although…my lid weighs approx. 30g, so if I could find someone to make a carbon fibre lid in place of the original, I reckon I too could knock off a little more.
The last challenge was to find a cup that could fit in the pot also. Well, I stumbled across one of my daughters sippy cups (she is 1…and I don’t think she was that attached to it anyways ☺), which fit well after having to cut it down a little (besides, I love being reminded of my kids when out camping...and can't wait for them to join me one day soon). I can still obtain a 1 cup measure (Australian cup = 250ml) after the cut down, which equals a normal cuppa tea or coffee for me. However, I did this with ONE slight modification…I had to take an approx. 1-2 mm shaving off the top of the cone. I had to do this to compensate for the greater circumference of the cone with fuel inside and base of the cup to fit inside the pot. This slight modification brought the height of the pot above the Starlyte stove to the same height as the Starlyte pot stand anyway…so it worked in my favour!
I also made up a cozy base and lid to fit the pot
So, now, I have an original sidewinder caldera Ti-Tri from TD made for the Evernew 600 (current base weight of 135 grams), which retains its original efficiency by sitting completely inside the cone. Plus, it is a wider pot with good surface area for heat exchange. I am obtaining similar burn/boil times as you, however I think, like yourself, have to add a few holes around the base to improve combustion.
Plus, having the Ti-Tri, I still have the option of esbit (which worked awesome in the Aussie Alps with a 40 knot wind the other day, or wood burning if I wish.
Anyways, just thought I’d share. Thanks for being ‘open source’ with your idea Dan.
Jase in Australia