Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Surfers Paradise Lost as China’s $259 Boards Threaten Aussie Manufacturers
Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Surfers Paradise Lost as China’s $259 Boards Threaten Aussie Manufacturers on 01/05/2012 03:38:54 MST Print View

full text at link ...

On Australia’s Gold Coast, a 22-mile- long (35-kilometer) stretch of beaches named Surfers Paradise and Rainbow Bay, Neil Rech opened a surf shop in December and unwittingly disturbed the peace.
His store, Sedition Surfboards, sells Chinese imports for A$250 ($258), one-third the cost of some Australian-made boards that competitors are offering. Rival retailers averse to discounts and upset about local job losses questioned his patriotism, and even threatened violence, he said.
“It’s quite heavy,” Rech, 34, said of the backlash. After teaching for two years in China before opening a store in Coolangatta, Queensland, “I realized how cheap you can actually get these boards so I thought it’d be a great opportunity to bring them here and sell them to the public cheaper.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-04/paradise-lost-for-aussie-surfboard-makers-amid-chinese-imports.html

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Surfers Paradise Lost as China’s $259 Boards Threaten Aussie Manufacturers on 01/05/2012 06:51:09 MST Print View

I think it's funny that his store has the word "sedition" in the title and people are questioning his patriotism.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Surfers Paradise Lost as China’s $259 Boards Threaten Aussie Manufacturers on 01/05/2012 09:03:13 MST Print View

He needs to move to America where he'd be successful. Oh well.

It is one thing to boycott or even protest, but to threaten violence? Talk about not having your priorities straight!

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
must post... on 01/05/2012 09:49:23 MST Print View

... can't stop.