Forum Index » GEAR » Anyone hiking in Soft Star RunAmocs?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Anyone hiking in Soft Star Dash RunAmocs? on 01/04/2012 13:37:15 MST Print View

Been looking at all the different minimal shoes for over a year...and I keep coming back to the Dash. My concern however is their long term durability, particularly since they don't have a bumper or other reinforcement around the frontal area like a standard shoe.

Any thoughts?

Edited to clarify model.

Edited by rustyb on 01/04/2012 13:55:10 MST.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Anyone hiking in Soft Star RunAmocs? on 01/04/2012 13:41:38 MST Print View

Those are interesting. Thank you for sharing a shoe I hadn't known about. My biggest concern would be a lack of grip in the mud or snow.

Edit: Looking at their page makes me think that they'd make their shoes with just about any insole, so grip shouldn't be a problem. Now I just have to wonder how it fits.

Edited by leaftye on 01/04/2012 13:43:28 MST.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Re: Anyone hiking in Soft Star RunAmocs? on 01/04/2012 14:00:45 MST Print View

Eugene,

I edited my post to clarify the model. It is the Dash that I'm interested in. At any rate, they are offered with your choice of Vibram soles: 2mm Street or 5mm Trail. The Trail sole looks to have some traction...maybe enough for my needs. Not sure about mud or snow though. They can also be ordered in many different colors or color combos for a small fee.

I like a lot about that company. Just not sure they make a shoe that'd work for me. You'd be out the shipping charges but I believe they could be sent back if the fit wasn't right.

r

clay stewart
(Reluctantwaterhauler) - F
Hi Rusty. on 01/04/2012 15:30:41 MST Print View

I'm on my fourth pair of Runomocs. I had two pair of the originals, with the 5mm sole and now on my second Dash with the 2mm sole. I have yet to go backpacking with them, as I tried that with the Merrill Barefoot, on a rocky trail and my feet didn't feel too well, afterward.

I do like the fit and true flat walking surface of the Softstars better than the slight toe rise of the Merrills though. It seems to me that the 2mm sole lasts longer than the 5mm one, at least on pavement and the leather part is still going strong, after many miles, so I don't think that is so much of a concern.

I've been trying to toughen my feet up for a backpacking trip, in them, for the past year or so, wearing them most everyday, but I don't know if it's yet enough to counter the years of wearing padded and heeled shoes. I think people that go barefoot outdoors a lot, stand a better chance of using these shoes for backpacking. If it's just hiking without weight, then I think they are great, but keep in mind that they are not designed for walking with a heel strike, rather a mid foot strike. It's easy to bruise your heel, with no padding there, so it takes some time to learn how to walk again, as if you were barefoot. :)

Timm DeSalis
(timmy_toes) - F

Locale: philly
just ordered on 01/04/2012 18:27:14 MST Print View

I just ordered my pair of MOC3 and I'm very excited I plan on trail running with them, with a light pack should be fine! I use to use VVF classics for backpacking but grass always got stuck between the toes and was annoying. Also they got very cold in winter. Got these so I can wear heavier socks. Will post a review once I get them!

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Hi Rusty. on 01/05/2012 09:48:06 MST Print View

Hey Clay,

Thanks for the info. The Merrells looked super to me but after trying a pair on, was dissapointed. Too snug and not flat enough for my tastes.

Fortunately, from other activities over the yrs, my feet have gotten fairly strong. For fun, on a 3-day trip last Sept, I decided to hike the last 4 miles sans shoes. Faired suprisingly well...even though half that distance was nothing more than broken granite. Had I known that about the trail, I wouldn't have taken my shoes off...but I didn't want to give up. Point being, I'm guessing something like the Dash's will work for me while backpacking. Maybe I'm fool'n myself too. I at least would like to give them a shot if I thought they were going to hold up to trail abuse. What you say sounds promising.

Timm,

I look forward to hearing your thoughts as well.

Thanks,
rusty

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Bump on 02/25/2012 13:43:46 MST Print View

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump, in case other Soft Star owners didn't see it the first time.

Still pondering but now I'm open to any of the Soft Star shoes, not just the Dash. Would love to hear from additional people who have used any Soft Star on the trail.

Thanks.