US only medical conditions
Display Avatars Sort By:
drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 13:28:09 MST Print View

I'm going to stop at your third sentence. I said NOT Aspergers. How many times to I have to repeat that?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 13:29:44 MST Print View

And as I said Mr. Eugene, they are all interrelated. You choose to not see that. Many kids with ADD are Autistic.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 13:31:17 MST Print View

And if they get properly diagnosed as being Autistic or having Aspergers, then they're not the children I'm talking about. Understand?

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 13:32:50 MST Print View

Let me rephrase that, if they have autism or Aspergers, then they're not the children I'm talking about. The distinction is that they don't have to be diagnosed to have it.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 13:53:06 MST Print View

>Texans.

LOL!!!!!!!

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 14:03:10 MST Print View

The pharmaceutical industry creates many new disorders. Oh, and they just happen to have a drug to fix it...

I agree with Eugene. Many,many kids are put on serious drugs simply because they are bored at school or have simple discipline issues. I knew many kids growing up who were forced to use riddlin (sp?) and in no way did they have an actual disorder like autism, not even close. Their parents were neglectful alcoholics and teachers are too lazy to deal with them. Drugging kids up is just the way teachers deal with things these days. Hell, teachers drug themselves up with meds to deal with their own lives like many American adults.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
RE Sarah on 01/04/2012 14:05:01 MST Print View

Sarah you hang in there! I know thats a tough situtation and I applaud you for your lonely and underappreciated work.
For the record I've worked with kids with Asbergers. Sarah is absulutely right, its not just bad parents, period, end of discussion.

Other Comments

Whatever we call it when did America become the only country in the world to have adulters hyperactive kids or whatever? These are just the labels we put on them. I don't see any basis to say they are more common in the US than in other countries. I was under the impression "thrashing" a kid was frowned on in the UK? I certainly got my share of swats and learned to behave like a halfway decent human being. Funny how some people looked down their nose at my mom for being "old fashioned" but than other people would comment on how well me and my five siblings behaved.

Ron D
(dillonr) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: RE Sarah on 01/04/2012 14:12:56 MST Print View

Sarah - It's a difficult road you have and I wish you and your son the best.
Ron

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Wow on 01/04/2012 14:17:05 MST Print View

Wow lets clarify a few things.

"The pharmaceutical industry creates many new disorders. Oh, and they just happen to have a drug to fix it..."

Tell that the French mom I worked with who fed her kids practically all organic food but whose son still has Asbergers (no drug for that either just difficult tutoring). Whatever the sins of the drug industry they don't explain everything we see.

"I agree with Eugene. Many,many kids are put on serious drugs simply because they are bored at school or have simple discipline issues."

I'll agree with you on that one as relates to ADD/ADHD only. Sarah if you're out there your situation is different. I have seen kids with ADHD succesfully come off of behavior drugs and learn to control their behavior. That is not going to happen for a properly diagnosed Autistic kid.

"I knew many kids growing up who were forced to use riddlin (sp?) and in no way did they have an actual disorder like autism, not even close."

ADHD and Austism are very different although they may occur together. I never heard a case of taking ritilan for autism. Its only for ADHD as far as I know, lets keep that clear. We might over diagnose ADHD but Autism and Asbergers probably much less. A kid with Autism is very different from a kid who just needs a spanking.

Edited by Cameron on 01/04/2012 14:24:55 MST.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
This thread sucks. on 01/04/2012 14:21:58 MST Print View

This thread is kind of sucky. It's basically asking to list things that will personally insult people.

As an example, I see myself as being addicted to TV (see my Quitting TV thread) but I definatly don't see myself as a slob. I work very hard, am pretty darn successful and I have never been out worked by anyone at any job my whole life. If I am home from work by 8, I will often be lazy in front of the TV but usually that is after a 10+ hour day of working and 2 hours of playing with, reading to, and interacting with my son.

I knew someone was going to be highly offended by the ADD comment.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
+1 on 01/04/2012 14:23:31 MST Print View

On waaayyy too many kids on ADD drugs. Some need it, many don't. It is a very sad thing indeed.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Wow on 01/04/2012 14:30:18 MST Print View

"Tell that the French mom I worked with who fed her kids practically all organic food but whose son still has Asbergers (no drug for that either just difficult tutoring). Whatever the sins of the drug industry they don't explain everything we see."

and where did I say that Asbergers specifically was one of those I was reffering to? Nor did the OP even bring it up?

I think a few people on here are are a bit over sensitive and
mis - interpreting what people are saying

"I never heard a case of taking ritilan for autism. Its only for ADHD as far as I know...
Neither have I and thats another clue to clearify that I am not even talking about autism or Asbergers.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Nm on 01/04/2012 14:33:27 MST Print View

Nm

Edited by Kat_P on 01/04/2012 14:51:53 MST.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 14:50:17 MST Print View

Texans? Now that was uncalled for. Why not Liberals? I'd get offended, but honestly, that would imply some sort of respect for the other 49 that I just can't muster. Secede!

Please feel free to return to the ADD free-for-all.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 14:52:38 MST Print View

And thanks a bunch, my New Year's resolution was to not buy any new gear, or read (much less post) in Chaff. I was tricked!

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re Wow on 01/04/2012 14:56:37 MST Print View

Well things weren't clear earlier so lets define the terms.

Autistic Spectrum Disorders - This is a real LEGAL disablity. I wish there was a drug for it but I'm unaware of one. Kids with Autism get an IEP at school and accomodations as needed. If I came off combative its because it seemed people were equating Austism with bad parenting. If you didn't mean to say that no hard feelings, lets move on.

ADHD/ADD - This is not listed as specific disablity requiring an IEP in schools (although in some cases kids with ADHD get service under a vauge "other disablities" clause). While I know people who really do have hyperactivity/attention issues (and theres no reason to blame parenting etc.) Its also true that it would be easy to misdiagnose a kid. I worked with a class of kids from an alternative school and the teacher dared me to ID which students had ADHD (about half) and which didn't. I could not. If you think we overdiagnose I agree to a point so I won't argue with you over that.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re Re Wow on 01/04/2012 15:06:38 MST Print View

I definitely did not equate autism with bad parenting. For some reason Sarah assumed that I was referring to other conditions when I only mentioned ADD. Perhaps others are doing that too. I don't like assumptions and I don't like words being put in my mouth.

That said, I empathize with Sarah. I've worked with autistic kids and have spent time with adults that have Aspergers. It's tough. I couldn't imagine doing it full time.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 15:09:20 MST Print View

oops...delete

Edited by leaftye on 01/04/2012 15:09:59 MST.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Chillax... on 01/04/2012 15:15:14 MST Print View

I think Sarah's stressin' and saw things Eugene didn't write. Kids with ADHD deserve treatment and accommodation. Some kids (mis)diagnosed with ADHD just need better parenting. Res Ipsa Loquitur.

I got some for you:

USA: Sex Addict EU: Prime Minister

USA: vertically challenged World: short person that needed more discipli...nvm

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Chillax... on 01/04/2012 15:30:46 MST Print View

USA (or more specifically, South Carolina): Hiking the Appalachian Trail
Rest of the World (except France): Having an affair
France: What? Everybody does eeeet.....