Forum Index » Chaff » US only medical conditions

Display Avatars Sort By:
Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 08:50:11 MST Print View

Why are so many new medical and mental conditions 'discovered' in the US?
A couple of examples.
US - Sex addict. Rest of the world - Sleaze ball or adulterer.
US - Big. Rest of the world. - Fat.
US - TV addict. Rest of the world. - Slob.

Feel free to add. :)

Just thought of another.
US - Hyperactive kids. - Rest of the world. - Spoilt brats that need a good thrashing.

Edited by MikefaeDundee on 01/04/2012 08:58:27 MST.

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 08:58:36 MST Print View

US - Anti-Social Personality Disorder. Rest of the world - internet d-bag.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
US only medical positions on 01/04/2012 09:01:14 MST Print View

Because when the wife finds a husband has been out with a hootchie mama, it's best to claim a medical condition (sex addiction) before she doles one out (frying pan over the head or inserted in various places, certain anatomical features cut off, etc...) ... if you can't afford a 50k diamond like Kobe. Basically dodging responsibilities for ones own actions (did you really need that third donut?).

Not to mention our corporate health care structure has every incentive to make a profit on any possible human problem when you think about, with nice offices, nice brochures, etc... Maybe true non-profit health care could help?

Edited by hknewman on 01/04/2012 09:06:12 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: US only medical positions on 01/04/2012 09:04:49 MST Print View

I blame it all on Oprah.

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Re: Re: US only medical positions on 01/04/2012 09:10:49 MST Print View

I think we should blame everything on Oprah. ;)

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

"US only medical conditions" on 01/04/2012 09:16:43 MST Print View

So it's all the fault of fat Italian singers?

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Re: "US only medical conditions" on 01/04/2012 11:00:30 MST Print View

Not opera, Oprah.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Opera on 01/04/2012 11:16:59 MST Print View

So a big, fat, Italian opera singer called Oprah is responsible for all these US ailments?
I'm surprised you haven't deported her. ;)

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Opera on 01/04/2012 11:18:59 MST Print View

Thanks for the laugh. Half my ancestors came from Scotland. Your humor works for me.

Edited by lyrad1 on 01/04/2012 11:21:53 MST.

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Re: Opera on 01/04/2012 11:21:42 MST Print View

Well we would have deported her but she owns 53% of the world so . . .

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 11:38:15 MST Print View

US - ADD - Rest of the world - Dumb

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Re: Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 12:09:54 MST Print View

Watch it Leafty that was out of line, even for chaff.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 12:57:09 MST Print View

OK...but tread lightly. ADD is a real thing. It isn't being "lazy" or whatever you want to call it.

It doesn't mean it has to be treated with meds but it does require therapists and doctors for a quality life. My oldest son doesn't have ADD but is medically diagnosed with being an highly functioning Aspie on the Autistic scale. I have had many people over his 14 years of life rudely assert that it is "x" or whatever. It isn't. It isn't a US issue either thankyouverymuch. It is a real issue, with ways to deal with it.

The only difference is do actual research to find better ways for our children to live and put time/money/man power into it. Because of that my son has had a nearly normal life growing up.

Maybe spend a week in MY shoes parenting and you all wouldn't think that way. That my son does well in life is due to us riding him constantly to be as good as he can. It never stops. It is lonely, frustrating and expensive.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: And on "espensive" therapy/treatments on 01/04/2012 13:03:44 MST Print View

I might add that for anyone who claims children issues are invented, all therapy can be found for free at Children Hospitals and similar. One only needs to ask for those under 18. As well, much of my son's therapy has come through his school district, where due to his IEP it is legally required to provide him with the tools he needs to succeed.

My son has minimal hearing from birth to 2 years which combined with being an Apsie he didn't talk more than 10 words till he was in Kindergarten. Even in Jr. High my son attends therapy for social interaction and receives accommodations for state/Fed required testing (he takes tests in a room by himself so as to not be distracted).

Now days in the US babies are tested at birth for hearing loss. If they had done that simple test a lot would have been caught. Same if the Pediatrician I had seen had been willing to say to me "Your son isn't at where he should be" earlier on.

Must. Walk. Away. Before. I. Start. Screaming. At. Uneducated. People.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 13:08:43 MST Print View

Texans.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 13:09:36 MST Print View

Might there be real ADD cases? Sure. I STRONGLY believe that most ADD cases are wrongly diagnosed. It's become an excuse for bad parenting. My little cousin, that I tutor in math and some english, may possibly get diagnosed with ADD. He's been pointed out a few times as having it. My recommendation is against getting him officially diagnosed because while he may experience the troubles of ADD, I've also seen that how I treat him and what I expect of him strongly influences his attention. For example, he takes FOREVER to do his homework. He gets distracted, and distracted, and distracted. So I pulled out a stopwatch. Whenever his eyes wander or he starts up a non-related conversation, the timer rolls. That is having great results so far.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: And on "espensive" therapy/treatments on 01/04/2012 13:11:02 MST Print View

I sympathize with you Sarah.

My nephew is low functioning on autistic scale, barely grunts a few words, 30 years old, in Seattle. I've done a number of backpacking trips with him which I enjoyed.

Government aid has been reduced recently because of lower tax receipts, makes it more difficult.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 13:12:48 MST Print View

OMG. DO YOU ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT?

Hello, that is PART of therapy for ADD, Autistic and Aspie cases. It is not an endall. Beating head into my keyboard.

Please for the love everything, if you are not a doctor, don't try to diminish diagnosing children!!

DO you even understand why the diagnoses is so important? It protects the child in the school system!!

AGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: This is to Eugene.

Edited by sarbar on 01/04/2012 13:14:16 MST.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 13:16:15 MST Print View

"Hello, that is PART of therapy for ADD, Autistic and Aspie cases. It is not an endall. Beating head into my keyboard."

No, that is part of basic parenting. Parenting is NOT therapy. Autism and Aspergers is different. I'm absolutely not talking about those cases.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: US only medical conditions on 01/04/2012 13:27:16 MST Print View

You simply do not get it. They are all inter related. Many kids have multiple diagnosis.

By your reasoning that my oldest is an Aspie is due to "poor parenting". You don't live with it every day. Every day. For 14 1/2 years I have tried to make my son the best man he can be.

You wanna know what I think? You can take your superior thinking with yourself. You don't understand how it is. Do you even know how hard it is for kids with ADD? That many also suffer from anxiety, depression and severe low self esteem? It isn't because they are bored.

I am PO right now for good reason. This year my son got jumped in the locker room by 4 other boys and because my son fought back and got one kid in the mouth - and drew a ton of blood - my son got suspended. The school dean called and when my husband asked about why the procedures had not been followed the dean hung up quickly, Turned out he didn't know my son was under an IEP and has documented bullying going back to the FOURTH GRADE by these boys. I sat there for an hour, 7 months pregnant and made sure my son's punishment followed the rules for children under the state IEP. The dean of the school hates me and I don't care. I have told Ford many times - if he is attacked to fight back and fight dirty if he must and I'll clean up the mess after. Lots of admins in schools don't care but a medical diagnose means they have to care.