Shipping framed backpacks
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Shipping framed backpacks on 01/03/2012 13:43:46 MST Print View

I've got a couple of packs for sale on Gear Swap. What is the best/cheapest way to ship them? Big and narrow box?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
LaserDisc player boxes on 01/03/2012 14:17:05 MST Print View

Hack them apart and include an instructional with a complimentary spool of thread for sewing it all back together. Then it should fit into a Priority box. ;-)

As thin and flat as possible, either way the postman is going to whip out the tape measure.

If you have any old LaserDisc player boxes lying around use those, they should fit a framed pack.

In all seriousness....if you have some cardboard a bit of time, make your own boxes, just form the cardboard around the pack in a relatively square fashion and use good tape. Its worked in the past for odd shaped/sized items.

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Make a giant carboard envelope. on 01/03/2012 18:28:58 MST Print View

UPS and Fedex don't care if it's a six-sided box. In the past, I have made giant cardboard envelopes. I keep old boxes from appliances (fridge, large TV, etc.) for kids projects, so I usually have something to work with. Some times I have to disassemble part of the frame to get a "mostly" 2-D shape.

Shipping usually runs $15 to $20.

Best of luck,
Ken

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Make a giant carboard envelope. on 01/06/2012 02:54:06 MST Print View

Thanks guys.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
Just did it... on 01/06/2012 07:48:17 MST Print View

I just did this.

The first try I went to a UPS store, they said it was going to be like $90 to ship. I said BS, argued with them...they stood firm.

The second try I went to a Kinkos store, they said it was going to be like $110 to ship. I said BS, argued with them...they stood firm.

The third try I boxed it up myself in a mirror box (the kind where you make 2 open sides boxes then slide them together over a large, flat item). Then I weighted it, bought my label online and let the UPS guy pick it up at my work...cost like $15 to $20 bucks.

At the UPS Store and Kinkos they were trying to put it in a big huge box that ended up putting it into a bulk or large item category even though it was only like 7-9 lbs actual weight. When they do it that way it factors in size and bumps you up to some ridiculous pricing scale where its the equivalent of like a 60-80 lb package.

Just buy online by weight and drop it off or have it picked up.

Christopher Zimmer
(czimmer) - F

Locale: Ohio
USPS boxes on 01/06/2012 08:06:17 MST Print View

I use USPS Priority boxes to ship my framed packs. Just put together one end of a box and put the pack in, measure the amount of stickup and cut a second USPS priority box (same size box) in half a couple of inches longer the the stick up you need I then insert the cut end over the box with the pack in it and tape them together. You can make the boxes just about any length you like this way. Shipping for 2-3day is usually around $10-$15 depending on weight and destination.