Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Down quilts
Display Avatars Sort By:

(Anonymous)
Volant Hood on 05/31/2005 02:41:51 MDT Print View

He shouldn't quit his day job!

(Anonymous)
Volant Hood on 05/31/2005 02:42:37 MDT Print View

Is this what he's going to do after his second term in office?

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania
Volant Hood on 05/31/2005 11:00:38 MDT Print View

Hope I don't rub anyone the wrong way, but maybe this is Feathered Friends way of suggesting this may shut him up (with his mouth hidden inside the closure of the hood).

Edited by naturephoto1 on 05/31/2005 11:01:50 MDT.

Brian Griffith
(03bart)
FF Vireo/Hyperion on 06/03/2005 10:02:54 MDT Print View

Richard,

Thanks again for your help.

In looking at the Hyperion, I saw that the Large size is recommended for my 42-44 chest and 35 arm measurement. But at 6'2" and 200# does that sound right to you from your experience? Or would an XL be better?

I'm glad to hear you like this system since it seems to provide a lot of flexibility and light weight for the money!

Thanks again,
B

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

FF Vireo/Hyperion on 06/03/2005 19:25:09 MDT Print View

Hi Brian,

I suspect that you might need an XL. At 5'6" and 164 lb with a 42"+ chest, I need the L. As mentioned, it fits like a fleece jacket and I can get 2-3 light to medium layers under the jacket. Again, I suggest that you discuss this with FF customer service.

I hope that they have the Quantum in stock for you. Also, not only is the system light, flexible, and relatively inexpensive, it is extremely well made and designed, and as I indicated to extremely high workmanship levels. I think you will be happy with your purchase.

I wish more people on this site were a bit more open to a modified more traditional sleeping bag system (with down that can be moved inside the baffles) than using the very expensive and well made Arc sleeping bag system.

Rich

Edited by naturephoto1 on 06/04/2005 21:38:21 MDT.

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

FF Vireo/Hyperion on 06/14/2005 19:48:29 MDT Print View

Hi Brian,

I just wanted to check to see how you made out with your FF order for the Vireo and Hyperion and the Quantum Fabric.

Brian Griffith
(03bart)
Vireo on 06/15/2005 08:26:52 MDT Print View

Richard,

I ordered a long Vireo in Quantum. I considered the overfill and decided against it. I also decided against the Hyperion. I was very close to ordering it and only made my decision while I was on the phone with FF... so I'll probably regret it in the future. But, I had just purchased a Wild Things Primaloft Sweater last Dec and had a hard time justifying spending the money on another high-loft garment, even for a 10 oz weight savings. Plus, I was considering the Cocoon for my high-loft jacket weight reduction to have both synthetic (jacket) and down (bag) insulation.

As I type this, I am waffling again about the Hyperion and may call up FF and see if I order the Hyperion right now while the bag is still in the works if I qualify for the discount!? Ah, such tribulations. ;-)

The Vireo should be here in a week or two so I will post back and let you know how it looks.

B

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Vireo on 06/15/2005 08:45:39 MDT Print View

Hi Brian,

I purchased one of the Wild Things Primaloft hooded jackets at the clearance at the end of last year as well. Also picked up the 3 versions of the Patagonia Micro Puff Vest, Jacket and Pullover (all 3 very good prices on eBay). Haven't had a chance to use the synthetics. Though purchased for more ify weather conditions and still do not know how warm they are.

But without question, none of these synthetics have nearly as much loft as the Hyperion. My Hyperion jacket has about 1 1/2" of loft for both front and back yielding 3" (possibly more) total loft.

I would suspect the Hyperion to be substantially warmer but, more prone to moisture than the synthetics.

One thing you may wish to do though is to call FF and at least have them put the Hood snaps on the Vireo so that when and if you are ready to order a Volant Hood you can attach it to the Vireo. Marginal amount of weight for the snaps, negligable cost, but can dramatically increase your flexibility.

Rich

Brian Griffith
(03bart)
Vireo/Hyperion on 06/15/2005 11:54:43 MDT Print View

So,

I went ahead and added the Hyperion and Volant hood, both in Quantum, to my order. It'll slip the delivery a week, but that's okay.

Thanks for your help, Richard. I'll report back when it arrives.

Brian

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Vireo/Hyperion on 06/15/2005 12:26:15 MDT Print View

Hi Brian,

Glad I could be of help. I know it is kind of a large expense but in the grand scheme of things it really won't be that much. Expecially when you consider the expense of the 3 pieces is on the order of cost of just the BMW or Nunatak Arc System Bags.

You should find it to be a very flexible system, using those components only when needed and leaving those home that you don't. Enjoy the system and good luck with it.

Look forward to hearing your response upon receipt and that you are happy with the purchase.

Rich

Edited by naturephoto1 on 06/15/2005 12:27:48 MDT.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
error on 06/15/2005 13:06:21 MDT Print View

error

Edited by mikes on 06/15/2005 13:31:06 MDT.

David Spellman
(dspellman) - F
Re: Down quilts on 06/16/2005 18:17:17 MDT Print View

http://www.jacksrbetter.com has down quilts in the 24 ounce range for $274 (2.5" average loft, 750fp down).

The lighter 1.5" loft, 20 oz down quilt is $219 includes a re-sealable head hole so that the quilt can be worn as a poncho/serape. And, of course, you can form a foot sack with it. It includes a silnylon compression sack that allows it to be stuffed to 7" x 7" x 7". Another version of this quilt was designed with a center bottom slit specifically to be used as an under quilt for a Hennessy Hammock.

david