Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
2012 PIF
Display Avatars Sort By:
Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Maybe that was a little harsh on 01/01/2012 17:46:25 MST Print View

Ken and John, you might enjoy this thread

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27427

Edited by annapurna on 01/01/2012 17:48:19 MST.

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Re: Re: Maybe that was a little harsh on 01/01/2012 18:10:30 MST Print View

Yes, Anna, I enjoyed reading that. I had no doubts that Thom is a good and generous person. As I explained, my rant directed toward him probably stemmed from somewhere deeper. It belonged in a more general chaff thread. I have already offered my personal apologies to Thom via e-mail. I hope that returns this thread to it's original intent - to pass along great gear to great people.

Happy New Year!
Ken

Andy Anderson
(ianders) - F

Locale: Southeast
offer sent on 01/01/2012 18:25:23 MST Print View

Offer sent

nanook ofthenorth
(nanookofthenorth) - MLife
... on 01/01/2012 19:43:29 MST Print View

I'll PIF on the Vest

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Re: Re: Maybe that was a little harsh on 01/01/2012 21:18:22 MST Print View

Ken

Keep in mind that pif threads have taken advantage of before by people just posting on bpl only on threads to take free gear. Also members only make sense bc how else can u PIF? If u aren't a member u can't start a new thread...,

It is a giving game that is a good tradition IMO and most of the rules have developed for a reason. You know all this already probably.

Oh well

Happy new year!

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Was it a little harsh, or just heartfelt? on 01/01/2012 21:27:36 MST Print View

Ken: My springing to Thom's defense was maybe as knee-jerk as your reaction. But as I thought about it later, experiences of mine came to mind:

I do a LOT of road trips. Iv'e been in all 50 states 6+ times and 92% of the counties in the US, including all within 1300 miles of the Atlantic or Pacific. And I stop a lot to help people stuck along the road.

Sometimes, I've stopped when 10,000 people and 5 highway patrol have driven by. And I'm pretty mechanically, handy, and can usually get someone on their way. I've noted that:

Rich people don't offer to pay. A motor-home driver thanks me, but never offers me money or anything else

Really rich people - Jeez! I changed a tire on a Rolls Royce once on I-87(?) just south of Springfield, MA before the CT border. And he never even said "Thank you". Just said "Bye" and drove away.

Poor people ALWAYS offer me something for my trouble. They want to pay me if they have any money. I've had a guy who really want to give me his fishing pole in return for the 2 gallons of gas I put in his car. He didn't run out of gas because he was stupid, but because he had no money. I don't want his stuff, just to help out. But, in retrospect, my old line of, "No, I don't want you to pay me, just help someone else someday." didn't work as well for me.

I'm come to think that different people want/need to respond differently to my generosity. I can retime their ignition, jump their battery, add two quarts of oil, drive them to a gas station, etc. They may not have the skills, resources, or ability to help someone else out like that. And maybe it's just outside their comfort zone. I think they want to feel complete about their "transaction" with me. I'm gifting. I want them to gift. But they're in my debt and they'd rather not be. So, increasingly, I let them "settle the books" in whatever way they'd like to. I encourage them to help others, but I realize that my donating thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours every year, is, in a lot of ways, a luxury item that most people can't afford.

Jason Cravens
(packpack)

Locale: Cumberland Plateau
#7 on 01/03/2012 12:11:21 MST Print View

Emailed about #7

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: #7 on 01/03/2012 12:14:35 MST Print View

Jason,you must be a BPL member

Ron D
(dillonr) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: #7 on 01/03/2012 12:54:55 MST Print View

PM'ed

Jason Cravens
(packpack)

Locale: Cumberland Plateau
Re: Re: #7 on 01/03/2012 13:45:23 MST Print View

Anna,

I waited a couple days and no one had pm'd about the pack. I assumed he would rather PIF to someone, if no member had asked, rather than no one. I apologize.

mark cole
(marklivia)
#8 on 01/03/2012 14:21:10 MST Print View

PM'd you about Vest, #8 on the list.

Ben Wiles
(benjita) - MLife

Locale: Annandale, VA
Re: 2012 PIF on 01/04/2012 14:13:46 MST Print View

PM on #7

Ben Wiles
(benjita) - MLife

Locale: Annandale, VA
Re: 2012 PIF on 01/07/2012 17:54:05 MST Print View

Hey Thom,
Did you get my email about the pack?

Noah Taylor
(lowendtheory) - F
Re: Re: Excuse my noobness on 01/23/2012 20:11:50 MST Print View

One more reason I'm loving this site more and more. Such an awesome idea! I'm always giving out old gear (small stuff, granted, but still gear) to friends to get em started and it feels good!