2012 New Year's Day Earthquake
Display Avatars Sort By:
Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
2012 New Year's Day Earthquake on 12/31/2011 23:33:56 MST Print View

Happy New Year everyone!

Just had ANOTHER big earthquake today. 7.0 down by Torishima, south of Japan in the Pacific. Quite a shaker even here in Tokyo! But luckily no damage, no tsunami, and no one hurt.

I do NOT feel any more affinity for earthquakes even after having gotten to know them better.

What a way to start the year...

Edited by butuki on 12/31/2011 23:48:28 MST.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: 2012 New Year's Day Earthquake on 12/31/2011 23:35:48 MST Print View

What a way to bring in the new year! I'm glad everyone is okay.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
2012 on 01/01/2012 06:42:38 MST Print View

Good that it didn't do any damage... hope it didn't rattle your nerves too much.

Happy 2012!

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Re: Re: 2012 New Year's Day Earthquake on 01/01/2012 17:35:03 MST Print View

I agree, you never get used to earthquakes! Admittedly, I haven't felt any of the ones we've had here in the Pacific NW the past few years. Either I was out exercise walking or our east wind out of the Columbia River Gorge was shaking the house anyway!

I sure did feel the one in March 1993 (known as the "Spring Break Quake"), though! It certainly put the lie to the concept of "solid ground"!

I hope there was no damage or injuries from yours. Japan has had enough problems! It doesn't make me feel more secure to know that exactly the same scenario could happen here in the Pacific NW, where we have a similar subduction zone that last let loose 312 years ago this month. Incidentally, that one can be dated exactly thanks to Japanese tsunami records!

Yohei Aoyagi
(zzz_bear) - MLife

Locale: Tokyo
Re: 2012 New Year's Day Earthquake on 01/04/2012 23:33:18 MST Print View

Miguel san, Ake mashi te Omedeto!
I got up from siesta by quake :-)