Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Podcast: Sub-3 on the PCT with Glen Van Peski
Display Avatars Sort By:
Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
Podcast: Sub-3 on the PCT with Glen Van Peski on 01/16/2007 21:47:52 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Podcast: Sub-3 on the PCT with Glen Van Peski

Phil Barton
(flyfast) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma
Re: Podcast: Sub-3 on the PCT with Glen Van Peski on 01/17/2007 06:48:04 MST Print View

Great job, Carol. Listened to the podcast this morning. I hope that this becomes a regular feature here at BPL.

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
Re: Re: Podcast: Sub-3 on the PCT with Glen Van Peski on 01/17/2007 07:04:06 MST Print View

Thanks! Yes, podcasts will be a regular feature. Next week Andy Skurka from his northern Minnesota trek. Then lots of podcasts from OR.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Podcast: Sub-3 on the PCT with Glen Van Peski on 01/17/2007 09:14:18 MST Print View

Nice work on the podcast, Carol. This will be cool hearing things "straight from the horses mouth" as these podcasts come out. The addition of photos, gearlists, etc to go along with the audio should make for a nice multimedia experience.

Darren Christie
(whitespider1066) - F
Congrats on 01/17/2007 10:54:01 MST Print View

Just talked to Podcast Bob over at The Outdoors Station and Backpackinglight.co.uk podcast fame, and he's been listening to these shows and has really enjoyed them. And also had these words to say "Congratulations and well done to the team. Hope to hear more from the 'Golden Throat' competition winner soon ;-)"

I've also enjoyed them very much and hope that you guys cover some of the UK scene as well. Maybe the TGO Challenge in May each year?

Mary Simpson
(maryphyl) - F
Re: Podcast: Sub-3 on the PCT with Glen Van Peski on 01/17/2007 11:28:29 MST Print View

Hey Carol--I really enjoyed listening to you and Glen talking about his gear. Really pleasant. I got curious to see what my pack weight would be using gear I already own and following Glen's example. I came out at 5.3 lbs!! My total weight ended up lighter than Glen's because I eat less :) and I am 5' 3" not 6' 4" Mary

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

It does pay to be a "lower" height on 01/17/2007 12:02:47 MST Print View

Yes, Glen is definitely at a height disadvantage when it comes to SUL bragging rights!

Peter Sustr
(czechxpress) - F - M

Locale: Boulder
Podcast and so little weight on 01/17/2007 13:20:22 MST Print View

Thats crazy how little weight he is carrying. I tried weighting my equipment and it was over 9lbs and would have to work hard to get it lower. I was just at the GoLite office in Boulder and was thinking about Andy being out there and how he was doing. Everyone in the office was excited for him and I hope all is well. Can't wait to hear his podcast.

Don Wilson
(don) - MLife

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska
Podcast: snake species on 01/17/2007 13:59:51 MST Print View

Glen -

FYI, that's a harmless Gopher Snake in the photo. They can be excitable at times, but can't do much damage.

Don

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Re: Podcast: snake species on 01/17/2007 14:03:14 MST Print View

Eeeuuuuwww.
My adrenaline sure would be pumping if I ran across that harmless little snake.

Glen Van Peski
(gvanpeski) - F - M

Locale: San Diego
Re: Podcast: snake species on 01/17/2007 16:54:18 MST Print View

Don -

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll have to take you along next time for on-the-spot identification!

--Glen

BPL Subscriber
(BobOne) - F
Podcast on 01/17/2007 17:01:07 MST Print View

As much as I like listening to Glen talk, I'm taken aback by the sudden prevalence of podcasts. To me, they just seem lazy, a way to avoid reducing raw material to effective text and photos, and I just don't click on them. I hope they won't become common at BPL, since I'll never start using them due to the amount of time they take relative to the benefits they yield, and when one appears in an otherwise useful information source, I leave with the feeling that I've likely missed out on some critical information due to a lack of editorial effort.

Sorry to podcast and video fans, but they're not very useful for most things, and are used way too much. It's pretty rare that they have something to convey that isn't managed more efficiently and effectively with text and photos. But this is from someone who only bothers to watch television for major wars and part of the Summer Olympics.

Let me try to make that sound more like a constructive suggestion. I find video and audio material to be more useful as illustrations, much as a photo or table would be used. Audio is appropriately used to illustrate such things as a musical example. Video might be used effectively to illustrate a complex manipulation of some object (e.g., "this is how I quickly turn my poncho into a shelter when it's time to bed down in the rain"), but it's probably nearly always a good idea to describe the operation in text as well (e.g., "first grab the edge of the poncho..."). The video or audio material can then be used after the reader makes the decision, based on the text, whether the described contents warrant the "multimedia" support and whether they wish to invest the time for that specific purpose at the decision moment.

Edited by BobOne on 01/17/2007 17:24:53 MST.

Carey Parks
(cjp129@earthlink.net) - F
Re: Podcast on 01/17/2007 19:02:21 MST Print View

You are not wrong Bob, text is (for the moment) more searchable than audio. And many people learn/absorb information best when they can read it at their own pace - be that faster or slower than the spoken word.

But there are others who take up information best thru their ears. And others who don't have the 10 minutes to spend in front of their computer but who do have 45 minutes to spend driving or hopefully walking to work when they can listen.

Your point being a good one that ONLY a podcast or ONLY written text are less than ideal, and in a perfect world we'd have transcripts of the pod casts (maybe I should work on that software) like we have programs to read us our e-mail.

But, until we get to that perfect world, I'm glad most of BPL is text and that some of it is audio - much more emotion and inflection comes thru hearing the speakers words.

Thanks for the PodCast folks. When will it be out in braile ?

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Re: Podcast on 01/17/2007 19:56:38 MST Print View

I LOVED the new podcast! It was very well put together- great job Carol- and Glen too! I know it was a lot to put it together.

A very cool addition to the site to supplement our bazillion words and images. I can't wait for when our reviews and articles are supplemented by video as well!

Doug

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Podcast: Sub-3 on the PCT with Glen Van Peski on 01/17/2007 20:33:47 MST Print View

I think the Podcast was great and with the photo's and gear list along with it how much more do you need?

Greyson Howard
(Greyhound)

Locale: Sierra Nevada
Speeder belt on 01/17/2007 22:51:54 MST Print View

The idea of the speeder belt is interesting, I have been thinking a lot lately about distributing weight more across the torso, rather than in the pack.
Would hip belt pockets, and water storage, waterbottle bungees on the sholder straps, and a pouch on the sternum strap allow for a lighter overall pack design?
Something like an U.L. version of a military harness system might be kind of cool.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
re:Podcast: Sub-3 on the PCT with Glen Van Peski on 01/17/2007 23:25:07 MST Print View

Greyson, about the speeder pouch.. A solution I used in the military when my main pack was full was to carry a smaller pack, worn backwards and put on after the main pack. I liked the feeling of balancing out the weight with some in front, but the sensation of having something there was annoying.
Has anyone else actually carried items up front with success?

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: re:Podcast: Sub-3 on the PCT with Glen Van Peski on 01/17/2007 23:52:14 MST Print View

>Has anyone else actually carried items up front with success?

I have the LuxuryLite front pack that I use with my LuxuryLite pack. I load it with a liter or two of water, snacks for myself and kids, and other small gear, as well as having the map readily visible. It noticeably balances out the backpack.

Also check out the Aarn bodypack.

(Oh yeah: great podcast!)

Edited by Otter on 01/18/2007 15:03:47 MST.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Chest and Abdominal packing on 01/18/2007 03:39:43 MST Print View

Sure. Two 24oz "sippy" (can drink on the move) water bottles mounted AR-style - one on each pack strap. Also, relatively small (supposedly) 450 in^3 fanny pack worn 180 degrees around from the lumbar region; therefore, in front of the waist/lower abdomen - 350 in^3 main coompartment and two 50 in^3 compartments (one on each side of the main compartment). I've tried a larger one, ~600 in^3, but it was annoying. The smaller one i have (bought from Eddie Bauer over 25yrs ago) is RARELY in the way. Can see past it. Can lift legs as high as they will go - only then do my upper thighs contact it.

I can fit a 1L Platy in it and a few other little things - 8oz "Honey Bee" or a couple of Clif bars; plus bug dope, Rain-X Anti-Fog, AqM, etc. in the side pockets. I don't do it, but it has two leather patches on the top for lashing a Spin/Sil-poncho or some other relatively small/light piece of gear.

Works for me. YMMV. HYOH.

paul francis
(cornlander)

Locale: Southern Australia
Re: Podcast: Sub-3 on the PCT with Glen Van Peski on 01/18/2007 06:37:50 MST Print View

really enjoyed the GVP interview Carol. Listening to the backpacking podcasts on offer on the web, via my iPod, while I'm out for my daily walks beats reading stories in front of a computer any day of the week!
Podcasts will be a great addition to the features on offer at BPL and this was a great start, keep them coming!