OT: MYO Business
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Canfield
(jcanfield) - F

Locale: Cascadia
OT: MYO Business on 12/30/2011 17:01:17 MST Print View

I have been using BPL for a spell now, ever since a friend in Bozeman turned me on to it. My primary obsession on the forum is to share and learn about building carry products.

In recent months, my dreams of beginning a small cottage carry manufacturing business became a reality, and slowly things are leaving the ground. Over the past few months, I realized that the work that will be required to successfully both manage a business and actually build the products take more time that I have in a given week.

That being said, I am looking for help launching my company. If you are in the Seattle area and would like to explore the adventure of bringing simple, significant carry products to market, please give drop me a line.

Specifically, I am looking one or two people with a vision for the future who can make either short or long-term commitments in helping birth a small business.

Thanks a ton, and if this post is out of line- please let me know and I'll delete it.

JC Canfield
http://wwww.fromhighabove.com

Thanks!

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: OT: MYO Business on 12/30/2011 17:40:24 MST Print View

JC,

Best of luck on your new venture! I hope your dream is fulfilled.

I won't be bothered if you don't, but you should become a member here. The little investment in BPL goes a long way towards showing others that you care about BPL and its members. Again, not a prerequisite, to be sure. Either way, your participation in the forums helps us get to know you, so I look forward to hearing from you.

I look forward to seeing your products too!

Todd

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: OT: MYO Business on 12/30/2011 17:44:24 MST Print View

What is a "carry product"?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: OT: MYO Business on 12/30/2011 21:46:02 MST Print View

Hi John

It's OK this time - no worries. Future postings would be better done in the Gear Deals channel, as that is our 'commercial' channel.

Cheers and good Luck
Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor
Backpacking Light

John Canfield
(jcanfield) - F

Re: OT: MYO Business on 01/02/2012 10:57:39 MST Print View

Thank you for the well wishes. I was a member, but it lapsed! I'll look into joining in again. I have used this forum to consult for design (ie. shoulder pad angulation) and enjoy the tone of this community.

Jerry, a carry product is an industry term for a product you carry. Backpacks,breifcases, purses, messenger bags, totes, duffel bags, etc.

Thanks again!

JC

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor)

Locale: Northwest US
Enterprise on 01/05/2012 13:37:04 MST Print View

John, what scope of "carry" products do you hope to offer? Just backpacks?

Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
Re: OT: MYO Business on 01/05/2012 14:05:53 MST Print View

John,

I sent you an email. I am pretty sure that I can help you out and I am local to the Seattle area.

John Canfield
(jcanfield) - F

re: ENTERPRISE on 01/05/2012 23:35:34 MST Print View

Colin,
Thanks for the question. I am currently offering two backpacks and a messenger bag. The design focus is to make a product that is functional, simple and durable. I eliminated the use of zippers where possible.
My experience using backpacks is in the context as an urban bike commuter, and a NOLS instructor.

If you have specific questions regarding my professional experience, feel free to contact me!

JC