Quitting TV
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
Quitting TV on 12/30/2011 09:10:18 MST Print View

I am pretty seriously considering quitting TV watching as a New Year's resolution. Any thoughts? Anyone done it? Seems like such a waste of time. So many things I could be doing instead. I feel addicted to it.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Quitting TV on 12/30/2011 09:17:13 MST Print View

I haven't had a TV since 1996 and don't miss it at all.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Quitting TV on 12/30/2011 09:21:56 MST Print View

well there's quiting TV and then there's quiting TV.
I know a few people who brag about quiting TV, and getting rid of the infernal device, only to spend hours surfing the web.

so is web surfing really just another form of watching TV ??

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Quitting TV on 12/30/2011 09:23:12 MST Print View

Yeah, considering my cable bill goes for reruns and ads. It's just too easy to collapse in front of the tube at night with a bag of Cheetos. My buddies have satellite television but that's just more channels to surf thru to (further) irritate their wives. What's the old Springsteen song? 57 channels and nothing on? More like 570 channels and still nothing on.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Quitting TV on 12/30/2011 09:24:59 MST Print View

Not going to happen. I am still trying to catch up on Boardwalk Empire.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Quitting TV on 12/30/2011 09:29:12 MST Print View

"so is web surfing really just another form of watching TV ??"

web surfing is interactive TV. I mean you can shout at the TV, but it doesn't shout back. BPL forums, however.......

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Quitting TV on 12/30/2011 09:33:17 MST Print View

We haven't paid for cable since we bought our house last year. However, we do have a tv for movies. It's hard to pay for cable when most shows are put online shortly after airing and you can watch them for free. I can even wirelessly project a show from my laptop to our tv.

I actually didn't want a tv at all, but eventually caved to my wife. After my 3 weeks out West in 2010 and spending a lot of time staying with Sam H., who had no tv, I got rid of mine when I got home. Having one again is a little weird.

Edited by simplespirit on 12/30/2011 09:34:58 MST.

Scott S
(sschloss1) - F

Locale: New England
Re: Quitting TV on 12/30/2011 09:39:31 MST Print View

I gave away my TV 8 years ago and haven't looked back. I still watch a few shows online. But, unlike with TV, I never find myself watching a random (and bad) show online just because it's there.

Most of the time that I used to waste watching TV is now used for reading, and that's been a good trade.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Quitting TV on 12/30/2011 09:39:58 MST Print View

Damn, I thought the subject line was Quilting TV.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Quitting TV" on 12/30/2011 09:40:40 MST Print View

No TV going on 7 years, don't miss it one bit. We'll catch a show online here and there.

Blog perusing, Vimeo surfing, and BPL'ing isn't any better than TV really, I guess my bit of wasted time has undergone some digital sublimation process....

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Quitting TV on 12/30/2011 09:48:02 MST Print View

I don't have a tv, can't recall the last movie I saw either.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
working on it on 12/30/2011 09:48:47 MST Print View

Just decreased my Dish package from 250 channels to 125+ package.

I'll be down to zero in another decade.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: working on it on 12/30/2011 09:50:47 MST Print View

Can't quit TV

Then I wouldn't be able to watch "Breaking Bad"

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

New Year Resolution on 12/30/2011 09:52:59 MST Print View

I think if you replace it by watching TV/video on a computer then yeah it's the same thing (minus the cable bill) but if you are reading, writing, posting, whatever online then it's a lot better, more mind stimulating.

One big reason I want to get rid of it too is I have a 17 month old son. Currently he watches zero TV, no movies, no nothing. Other kids around his age seem to be quickly addicted to Spongebob, Cars, all these Disney movies. I watch our friends plop them down in front of the TV like it's a babysitter. Our son is so smart and interactive. He is already saying 2 word phrases, knows body parts, baby sign language, he jokes with people, he is adventurous, social, builds mega blocks, knows some shapes, etc. I feel like if he starts on TV it will rot his brain.

Growing up we were friends with a hippy/dual college professor family with 4 kids that had no TV's. Those kids read big thick books constantly. Our friend, Ryan, he always had a 4" thick paperback dragon or imagination novel in his back pocket. Those kids all got straight A's, 2 of the 4 went to Ivy League schools and graduated with honors and all 4 are doing great things in life. Obviously genetics is a big part but no TV and lot's of reading and playing can't hurt. They used to play board games in the evening as a family. They weren't the coolest kids in school but they weren't picked on either.

Thoughts?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: New Year Resolution on 12/30/2011 10:05:28 MST Print View

"Damn, I thought the subject line was Quilting TV."

No, that is another thread in the MYOG forum.

Funny how there is this push to drop TV from the view of our children. Makes it sound like we all turned out rotten.

As a side note, I have three children who all get straight A's, are prolific readers, compete in competitive sports, train up to 5 times a week at 2-3 hour stretches, and watch TV. Sometimes even Sponge Bob. How your kids interact, how they achieve, and how they grow intellectually has much to do with how you parent. A little TV in moderation is just fine. Same with video games.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Re: Re: New Year Resolution on 12/30/2011 10:18:06 MST Print View

David - good points and a strong endoresment, your kids sound like they are doing great!

Out of curiosity do you watch much TV? I assume you put limitations on TV, keep them busy with other things, etc. Tell me more about your parenting style.

I think moderation, like you said is key. I find it hard to moderate myself, it is just so easy to say to yourself ' well, nothing to do might as well go watch TV' instead of thinking of other things you could do instead.

I think another contributnig factor is I have a big TV with a awesome stereo. My entire living room is pointed and arranged towards it and my living room is the center point of my home. Therefore I feel like my home is kind of pointed at the TV or that my living room is a movie theater. I want to move the TV out of there, put it in the closet for a while and re-arrange the furniture towards the windows, install some better lighting for reading and make it more of a reading/talking space than what amounts to a dim movie theatre.

Edited by TylerD on 12/30/2011 10:21:44 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Quitting tv on 12/30/2011 10:22:10 MST Print View

I quit tv 19 years ago. We rent dvd's and we obviously have Internet. It was the right decision for me and while I know I am missing some very good programming, I don't miss all that comes with it. I much prefer listening to the radio while knitting or sewing.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

More info on 12/30/2011 10:29:40 MST Print View

For those that have quit TV, please give more information as to why you decided to give it up and have you noticed any push back, any negative consequences? Any major positives? Are your kids all rocket scientists and brain surgeons?

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Quitting TV on 12/30/2011 10:48:27 MST Print View

TyTY,
You can't quit the cult of TV if you do their will be dire consequences. Signal Men are on their way right now to put you in a TV re-education or worse kill you for breaking the laws of society . You used to be able to read books, newspaper , magazines then the Fire men came set them all on fire . So you better hook that coaxial cable back up to your TV.
Terry

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Quitting TV on 12/30/2011 10:56:20 MST Print View

"You used to be able to read books, newspaper , magazines..."

And some people futilely held on to riding their horse carriages.

They've all died off now.

Well... most of them.