Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
south lake tahoe hiking
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Magdoff
(highsierraguy) - F

Locale: Northern California
south lake tahoe hiking on 12/28/2011 11:46:59 MST Print View

Hey all
I am heading up to tahoe with some friends for a few days and they want to do a good day hike while we are up there. Since there really isnt any snow, I am thinking alot of trail should still be open. Do any of you have any recommendations for a hike near south lake tahoe? We are willing to drive a little bit..

Thanks
Dan

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
south lake tahoe hiking on 12/28/2011 13:43:57 MST Print View

I hiked the Bayview trail head to Dicks Lake last week. Very scenic. The Eagle Falls trail to the same destination if a bit icier. Also you could climb up Mount Rose. The TRT trail out of Tahoe City on Fairview drive is clear of snow for many miles. South of Tahoe City you can jump on the TRT off Burton Creek Drive. The last starts on a boring road but then turns to snowy trail and beautiful scenery. If you're ambitious you can go quite high. Bring Kahtoolah micro spikes if you've got 'em! snow shoes are out but the trails are icy for sure.

Edited by book on 12/28/2011 13:44:28 MST.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Fallen Leaf Lake/Alpine Glen TH on 12/28/2011 19:05:45 MST Print View

Bayview is very scenic, tough climb out of Granite Lake. If the road isn't too icy, go around Fallen Leaf Lake and take the Glen Alpine trail up to Suzie or Heather, a good climb. A popular hike is up to Mt Tallac, a few different ways to go. Check in at the FS for more info behind the Dennys.
Duane

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: south lake tahoe hiking on 12/28/2011 21:53:08 MST Print View

Echo Lakes Trailhead to Tamarack is fairly easy with moderate elevation gain. If you were more ambitious you could probably make it to Lake of the Woods or even Aloha and back. I would definitely check in with the Rangers to determine trail conditions.