Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Could this be the ultimate UL backpacking saw?
Display Avatars Sort By:
steven franchuk
(Surf)
A pull saw could be even lighter. on 01/19/2012 21:06:48 MST Print View

Most western saws are designed to cut on the push stroke. Long western saws tend to buckle easily. To counteract that they use thicker metal or a frame to keep it straight.

In Asia they commonly use saws designed to cut on the pull stroke. In my opinion they are easier to use and are great when you want a very thine cut. They can be maid long and yet use very thin metal. I have a small 5" pull saw and the blade without the handle weighs only 1/4 ounce (the lowest reading I can get on my scale). making it 3 times longer and it would probably weigh under an ounce. Add a light weight handle (the ones at the hardware store have heavy handles). and it would still be under 2 ounces.

If the one in the picture was a pull saw the entire frame would not be needed. The handle would only need to be about 3 inches long (T shaped to get a good strong pull) and could be made of light weight plastic.

Edited by Surf on 01/19/2012 21:11:13 MST.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net
Pull saw comparison, random thoughts on 01/20/2012 12:30:08 MST Print View

Pull saws, if high quality, are excellent saws for woodworking and (if made with fewer teeth per inch than woodworking saws) can be excellent for pruning as well. An example of a 15" pruning pull saw is the Sharp Corporation 15" Fine Cut Pruning Saw. You can find pictures of it online. It has a removable pistol-grip plastic handle.

However, the weight of this saw is probably at least a half pound, if not closer to a pound. I've seen the shipping weight listed as a pound, but out of curiosity I have an email pending with the Sharp Corp for a more exact weight on the saw as well as its replacement blade, which I'll post when they respond.

Meanwhile, the Little Buck 15" blade, as thin as it is, weighs about an ounce all by itself. In theory, you could carry just the blade and a piece of windlass cord with you and whittle and saw wooden bow saw pieces out of wood to create a saw. So much trouble, but that would be very light (except the knife you would need to make the saw components).

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: A pull saw could be even lighter. on 01/20/2012 13:02:23 MST Print View

Steven:

I am impressed with the low weight and versatility of the Little Buck. I have brought traditional bow and frame saws on BP trips and it would be far superior in weight and packed size. My wife is always after me for gift suggestions and the Little Buck is on the list.

But I also like your thought about a Japanese pull saw. I'll leave it at that here so as not to hijack Robert's thread. See you on another thread.

-David

Editted to say: I started a thread under MYOG to pursue this idea.

Edited by DavidinKenai on 01/20/2012 13:37:33 MST.

Eric Dysart
(ewdysar) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: A pull saw could be even lighter. on 01/20/2012 16:08:11 MST Print View

Hi Steve,

This sounds like an interesting exercise in conceptual conjecture. I would be more impressed with a report that includes the weight and cutting performance of a prototype. Unlike Robert's saw, which is available for purchase, the SUL pull saw is just vaporware at this point. Make one that works and we'll all be more interested.

I've been in software development for 30 years, and I've learned that the devil is in the details and that few things are as cool in reality as they were in our imagination.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: A pull saw could be even lighter. on 01/20/2012 16:42:52 MST Print View

>"the SUL pull saw is just vaporware at this point"

Er, on the thread under MYOG (where assisting or flaming someone's design ideas belong), I've noted that I've got an 18g version that easily handles 2" and manages 3" stuff okay.

Since I posted that, I've had another idea (which IS total vaporware at this point), and I'll post that, too. But under MYOG.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Checkout the new Little Buck video - Log cuttin' action !! on 01/21/2012 11:26:23 MST Print View

I know I'm a couple weeks late with this, but you know how it is working with the film industry . . . bunch of prima donas, let me tell you.

Anyway, now you can see the Little Buck 2G subdue a good size log in jig time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dr8gOly4cQ

David - I'll be following your MYOG endeavors with interest.

For those interested in the little details, the Little Buck 15" naked blade weighs 1.10 ounces; 1.25 ounces with the steel rings that hold it in place on the vertical alloy tubes. That means the rest of the necessary saw components weigh a whopping 2.60 ounces.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

More developments - a new tyvek carry pouch - only 13 grams! on 01/22/2012 07:43:37 MST Print View

New tyvek pouch option demonstrated - www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qm-qoEjxwk

New tyvek pouch option illustrated below: includes a fiberglass tape
reinforcement of blade pocket, velcro closure, and weighs only 13 grams!

tyvekpouch1
tyvekpouch2

These are available now for $3 additional when buying a saw; $4 for anyone who has a saw and wants to use this carry method instead of the famous "bandana rollup". PayPal or questions to robkelly54 at gmail dot com.

Truth be told, this is lighter by more than a half ounce compared
to my bandana, so I'm goin' tyvek! Can you cut it? You betcha!

Edited by QiWiz on 01/22/2012 07:51:28 MST.

david delabaere
(davidvcd) - M

Locale: Northern VA
bandana on 01/22/2012 19:53:53 MST Print View

But a bandana is very multi-use.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

You say bandana . . . on 01/22/2012 21:14:51 MST Print View

I've used a bandana to roll up my Little Buck for months and it works just fine. I agree it's got a multi-use capability advantage compared to the tyvek pouch. However, in my case I found that I wanted to keep the saw rolled up when I was not actually using it, whereas I might still want a bandana - hence I was often taking two bandanas (one for the saw and one for everything else), so the tyvek pouch will be an UL enhancement for me. More than a half ounce saved! ; )

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

New website . . . on 02/16/2012 13:44:10 MST Print View

I've made it even easier to get information about my saws and trowels.
You can even order them and see any special offers (there's a great one right now!)

Check it out . . . QiWiz.net

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Woods wisdom . . . on 02/29/2012 15:05:42 MST Print View

When you’re on the trail in the rain
It’s hard not to whine and complain
But hard as you try to keep yourself dry
You’ll find all your efforts in vain

Even if wrapped in Goretex and eVent, says I

stormy sky

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Special offer on Little Buck 2G saw with trowel combo on 03/15/2012 10:04:04 MDT Print View

Take $5 off the price of an Original or Big Dig titanium trowel when purchased at the same time as a Little Buck 2G saw; I'll also include a free saw carry/storage pouch. Just got a new shipment in of Swedish steel 15" blades, so I can usually get your saw out to you the day after you place your order.

This offer will be available until April 1. Can you dig it?

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Special Combo Deal Available Again on 05/04/2012 05:49:56 MDT Print View

All details on Specials page of website. Save 10% on combo of the lightest buck saw, pouch, and trowel on the planet. Offer good till 5/19. You CAN cut it!

Edited by QiWiz on 05/04/2012 09:21:16 MDT.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

MEGA Buck 24" UL Saw is finally available on 06/03/2012 14:48:30 MDT Print View

This is a pretty big saw and obviously not for everyone. BUT if you are hiking a trail to maintain and clear it, wouldn't you rather carry a big saw that weighs about a half a pound instead of a much heavier alternative? I know I would. Check out the new MEGA Buck page at QiWiz.net to see the new big brother to the Little Buck.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Looking forward to some backcountry time! on 08/17/2012 10:11:07 MDT Print View

I'll be on trail from 8/30/12 through 9/15/12.

Gear ordered in next week (through 8/24) will be mailed out before I go. ; )

After that, you may have to wait until the week of 9/17 to get your gear : (

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Combo Saw & Trowel Offer is Back through 10/20 on 10/05/2012 09:11:38 MDT Print View

It's getting colder out there and some of you may want to pack a saw for those late fall and winter fires, but the idea makes you frown as you think about that heavy saw adding to your pack weight.

Never fear, because the lightest 15" saw AND the lightest cathole trowel on the planet have a special price as a combo deal (~10% off) through midnight October 20. Just go to www.QiWiz.net/specials.html

Can you dig it?

brian H
(B14) - M

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns
Re: Could this be the ultimate UL backpacking saw? on 10/05/2012 19:47:29 MDT Print View

kudos.
well-designed / executed.
for u folks hikin in them piney woods, what a gr8 item.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Special Deal on 02/23/2013 17:24:37 MST Print View

Get a FireFly wood burning stove and get 10% off any other items you get at the same time: a trowel, a saw, a complete cook kit, a titanium windscreen, etc. No maximum. Make sure you go to the Specials page at http://QiWiz.net/specials.html when you place your order to activate the discount. I will rebate it back to your PayPal account. Offer expires March 1.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

June "Add A Penny" Sale For Trowel plus ???? on 06/15/2013 08:52:31 MDT Print View

During the rest of June 2013, order any trowel and add ANY other items to your order that you want, including a Little Buck or MEGA Buck UL buck saw, additional trowels, a FireFly stove, ti windscreen, bottlestove, complete kit with pot, etc. (Gary's grills excluded)

Activate the offer by going to my Specials page and picking the "add a penny" choice you will find there.

I will then rebate 10% of the cost of all the other items (except the first trowel) to your PayPal account.

This offer is not quite as good as March Madness, but close. Can you dig it?

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Little Buck design Improvements on 08/27/2013 14:09:38 MDT Print View

At QiWiz UL Gear, I am always looking for ways to make things better, lighter, more durable, more useful. Recently a Little Buck saw user emailed me about a mod he did to his saw that involved a different way to connect the cross bar to the vertical tubes. I liked his idea and was also able to incorporate a new attachment system for the Spectra cord that has the advantage of keeping the windlass tension forces centered between the tubes. Not a huge deal, but a nice improvement nonetheless. The saw is still the lightest 15" buck or bow saw on the planet; still weighs less than 4 ounces (add another half-ounce for the cushy grip) with these design improvements.

This saw can CUT it !!

LBnew1

LBnew2

LBnew3

LBnew4