Locale: Montana
O Canada! on 12/20/2011 15:40:15 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

O Canada!

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: O Canada on 12/20/2011 17:06:25 MST Print View

Fantastic conclusion to a great series. Well done.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: O Canada! on 12/20/2011 17:36:01 MST Print View

Great story, again...

I crossed the PCT just South of Lolo Pass just before that fire. I must have been within several days of seeing you : )

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
O Canada on 12/20/2011 19:26:20 MST Print View

Congratulations! An amazing and inspiring achievement for you both! Wish I could do the same with my sons.

Edited by BER on 12/20/2011 19:26:50 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: re: O Canada on 12/20/2011 19:33:36 MST Print View

Sweet, I've enjoyed reading this. Very inspiring as to what is possible with kids.

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Inspirational! on 12/20/2011 19:40:47 MST Print View

Well done Balls and Sunshine!

I'm really looking forward to reading about your future thru-hikes :-)

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
O Canada! on 12/20/2011 19:47:26 MST Print View

Well done, Balls and Sunshine! What an extraordinary achievement for an 11-year-old!

Highly readable and fascinating article. I'm looking forward to reading all about the AT.

I have this suspicion that by the time the CDT comes up, you might just have Butterfly hiking with you, too! Eric, do you think you can handle two daughters at once? Then you'll have to go back and do the other two trails so Butterfly can get her Triple Crown, too!

Edited by hikinggranny on 12/20/2011 19:48:45 MST.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Amazing on 12/20/2011 23:04:34 MST Print View

Great article Balls! Glad you have a new job and are ready for new adventures. You were fortunate that infection didn't get worse than it was. One of the boys I worked with got an infection on his ankle that required surgery, not fun.

Good for you Sunshine! This summer when adults I work with don't give kids the credit they deserve I'd say something like "A 13 year old boy just summitted Everest and a 11 yeer old girl is hiking the PCT so yes the kids can do this!" You definately prove kids can do hard things if they want.

Hope your AT plans work out!

Elisabeth Chaplin
(elisabitch.) - MLife
Love! on 12/20/2011 23:09:41 MST Print View

Don't worry, for the CDT he'll also have a nanny and a teacher in his posse ;) We'll never have to come home!

C Nugget
(nuggetwn)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
home sweet home on 12/21/2011 03:38:34 MST Print View

Great articles and congratulations!! May you get a well deserved recovery and rest. I've enjoyed reading the down to earth, honest, and inspiring reports about the trials on the trail. If gear can last a thru-hike and still keep you smiling, I can't imagine a better "road test". Much luck on the AT. I have re-learned from Sunshine's lesson that feet are so important to care of. Look forward to the journal entry's.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: O Canada! on 12/21/2011 04:40:31 MST Print View

Great write up!

I'm glad Sunshine did well with the infection. I had a similar experience and took a week to recover and another healing on the trail. Your powers of recovery are simply amazing! Your expierience in simply putting one foot in front of the other will stand by you forever.

Balls really highlighted many of the features of trail life. I hated it, I loved it. I worried and fretted, right along with you. Protecting the family is second nature on the trail. Protecting them in a modern society, ... that IS a challenge.

Edited by jamesdmarco on 12/21/2011 04:41:08 MST.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: O Canada! on 12/21/2011 08:02:28 MST Print View

I love it! Triple Crown by age 13? That's my kind of crazy. You'd better watch out, Balls... you two are going to have some serious groupies eventually :)

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
O Canada on 12/21/2011 09:51:38 MST Print View

Wonderful story..... What a great dad you are, Sunshine is very lucky. I'm sure your other Daughter will be wanting to make the hike too.

I remember hiking for a few days with Wired in southern Oregon and seeing a note on the side of the trail addressed to "Baal and Sunshine". That's when I knew you were just a day or two behind me. Wired really missed Sunshine.

Dan Parisian
(Ezmate) - MLife
Wow! on 12/21/2011 10:29:44 MST Print View

What a fantastic story! Thank you so much for putting considerable effort into sharing your adventure with us!

Dennis Phelan
(dennisphelan) - MLife

O Canada on 12/21/2011 10:37:01 MST Print View

Eric/Reed

Thanks for posting your final chapter on a great hike and accomplishment. I am glad that I was able to assist you and meeting you both at PCT Days at Cascade Locks. I have followed both you guys and Erin's journey and hope to run into you guys again. I am really pleased about your last paragraph about your new job and article authorship. Eric you have set a new standard for all Dad's.

Dennis Phelan

Kathy Hoffman
(basecampbound)

Locale: Foothills of San Gabriel Mtns.
Great Wrap-Up on 12/21/2011 11:14:57 MST Print View

Thoroughly enjoyed this series and appreciate the gear list at the end.

I very much look forward to reading your other adventures, and good luck in school Sunshine!

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: O Canada on 12/21/2011 13:01:05 MST Print View

Very motivating article all-around and especially good to see a kid who has plans for bigger and better trips at that age.

James Litsinger
(JimLitsinger) - MLife

Congratulations! on 12/21/2011 17:06:58 MST Print View

Congratulations! Thank you so much for sharing your incredible adventure. Best wishes for your continued success on the Appalachian and Continental Divide Trails.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
O Canada! on 12/21/2011 18:26:18 MST Print View

Great article. As a father of 8- and 11-year-old daughters who I enjoy the outdoors with, the whole series was tremendous to read.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: O Canada! on 12/21/2011 18:48:43 MST Print View

What an adventure! Thank you for sharing it in such a personal way.