Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Aquamira Pro and the Colorado River
Display Avatars Sort By:
Timothy Reynolds
(magrenell)

Locale: New England
Aquamira Pro and the Colorado River on 12/15/2011 13:46:59 MST Print View

Dear Friends,

Following on the heels of a thread regarding the Escalante Route below, I've a specific question about using the Aquamira Pro in the Grand Canyon.

I will be dependent on the Colorado River for water half the time on a 4 day hike in the Grand Canyon. I normally use the Aquamira Pro as a gravity filter, but all of my hiking has been, to date, in the North East, and I've never had to prefilter my water.

What method would you recommend for pre-filtration of water? I've been doing my best to reduce my hydration system to a comfortably UL system. So, if a bandana will truly suffice, I'd love to know.

Thanks so much, again!

Tim.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: Aquamira Pro and the Colorado River on 12/15/2011 15:40:17 MST Print View

It really depends. I've had trips where the river was running clear enough just to pump straight. I use a Sweetwater. Other times, a few hours of settling was sufficient. Last month, it was as as turbid as I've ever seen it and nothing worked. I always take a paper coffee filter (better than a bandana) just in case but it was still a silty light brown. Clogged my filter after 2 liters and even my usual field cleaning couldn't get it to pump again for the rest of the hike.

If I have to depend on Colorado River water, I always take a bucket I can use to settle water in. You have to watch out for the mice if you leave it to settle overnight; I've found drowned mice a couple of times. I also take paper coffee filters (the cone melita kind, not the basket ones.) And chemicals as a backup.

There is also the alum method that many GC hikers use at the river. After my recent experience, I'll probably take this as a backup if I'm dependent on the river for more than a day.