Forum Index » Mountaineering & Alpinism » Lightweight Mountaineering Pack

Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan)

Locale: NTX
CCW on 04/26/2012 17:23:12 MDT Print View

Randy@CCW will make you a pack out of the Dyneema blend if you want. He would prolly make one out of any reasonable fabric began get a hold of or you can provide.

Ryan S
(rnsdc)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Cold Thistle on 05/03/2012 10:19:08 MDT Print View

Dane at Cold Thistle just did a multi-part post on climbing packs that may be informative as you make your decision:

Part 1: http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2012/04/fitting-and-detailing-on-climbing-packs.html
Part 2: http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2012/04/climbing-packs-part-2.html
Part 3: http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2012/04/climbing-packs-part-3.html

Avery S
(Aveman)
Cold Thistle on 05/03/2012 12:10:23 MDT Print View

I flippin' love Cold Thistle.

I'm also contemplating an attempt this weekend at sewing my own pack... We'll see.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Eddie Bauer First Ascent Alchemist on 12/12/2012 20:56:22 MST Print View

The EB First Ascent Alchemist goes from 44 liters to 55 liters in a very clever way.

It has a lot of features including a integrated bivy pad, extremely durable material and construction and great stability.

4 lbs with the bivy pad, 3.4 lbs without.

If I had not already spent a bundle modifying a pack for backcountry skiing THIS is the pack I would get.

Like other First Ascent geat this pack's design is tested and tweaked by professional guides. I have not seen any First Ascent gear that is not top notch in comparison the the best in the industry.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Eddie Bauer First Ascent Alchemist on 01/09/2013 17:04:36 MST Print View

I have an Alchemist. I've been using it mostly as a commuter pack, because the same clever setup that enables it to expand to a 55L pack also happens to work really nicely for carrying a tripod while still keeping the top closed. I can pack everything I need to shoot a short film with sync sound, including a 3-point light kit and a 15" shotgun mike in this thing and carry it around town on my bike.

My only concern is that in spite of using it in mild situations, i.e. no mountaineering or even backpacking (I used my McHale for the Mount Rainier summit trip and the week in the Glacier Peak Wilderness), the haul loop came off on one side and there's a small gap in a seam where the stitching is coming loose.

I'm hoping that this isn't an endemic problem, because other than the two spots where the stitching is coming apart, I think it's a great pack, especially for the price. The fabrics themselves are quite burly, so I'm going to pay Eddie Bauer a visit soon and see about an exchange.

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
PODsacs Crag Sac? on 01/14/2013 16:26:09 MST Print View

I've been curious about the PODsacs Crag Sac for a while, but since I've been unable to find a US retailer and I'm not willing to deal with an international shipping return, I'm hesitant to purchase one.

Can anyone offer a review for the Crag Sac? How well does it carry? Does it climb easy? How about some pictures of it on so I can see how it rides? Thanks in advance.

PODsacs Crag Sac

Crag Sac

Tough all round climbing pack offers ultimate durability and reliable comfort for everyday cragging through to Alpine climbing and Scottish winter mountaineering. The simple design makes this a favourite of outdoor centres and group use.

•Articulated back harness with top tension straps
• Back system comprised of removable internal frame-sheet with single alloy stave (also removable) for support
• Sternum strap for stability and comfort
• Side compression straps stabilise loads
• Top grab handle
• 2 ice axe/ walking/ ski pole loops
• External wand pockets constructed from ultra-tough Leno mesh
• Front bungee cord arrangement
• Drawcord closure with removable hood, featuring external and internal zipped pockets
• Load bearing cushioned waist belt with tension straps for stability
• Seams triple stitched and bound
• Bar tacked stress points
• Medium harness length

Volume:
Size 1: 40L (+10L)
Size 2: 43L (+10L)
Size 3: 47L (+10L)

Weight:
1.48kg, Stripped 1kg (size 2)

Fabric:
1000D Cordura®

Will Elliott
(elliott.will) - F

Locale: Juneau, AK
Bd, cow on 01/25/2013 22:00:27 MST Print View

Just get the Cold Cold World. Make up your dream pack and Randy will sew it. I have that Gregory pack. Randy could sew a Chaos pack with the same strap and daisy configuration as your Makalu, giving you exactly what you want. If you need a frame, the Cilo frames will fit inside a CCW pack.

My fiancé has a BD mission 50. The fabric is plenty tough, and from handling the Speed in store, that looks tough enough too. Don't sell your Gregory. That's a nice pack to keep around. It sounds like you are carrying a pretty huge load— maybe if you said more about your objectives we could give better information. If you're carrying skis, for instance, that's going to make a difference.

Edited by elliott.will on 01/25/2013 22:11:18 MST.

Will Elliott
(elliott.will) - F

Locale: Juneau, AK
Gear on 01/25/2013 22:17:13 MST Print View

You mentioned getting your gear down to 40 lbs. What are you carrying presently? A 8mm rope, BD couloir harness, Grivel Matrix Light tools, etc, will drop the pounds and allow you to bring a pack you don't hate climbing in.