Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Reflectix vs bonnet insulation
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Hung
(moma-moma) - F - M

Locale: store.picharpak.com
Reflectix vs bonnet insulation on 12/14/2011 01:47:18 MST Print View

any one try using the bonnet insulation for the cozy?

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Whaaaa? on 12/14/2011 08:56:53 MST Print View

I've been using Reflectix, happily, but I don't know what "bonnet insulation" is. Describe it and link us up!

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Whaaaa? on 12/14/2011 14:18:03 MST Print View

Bonnet could mean 'hood'. The insulation I've seen attached to hoods have been too stiff to work with. The insulation around hvac piping might work.

Perhaps 'windshield' shade was meant, and yes, that has been attempted with successful results.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Whaaaa? on 12/14/2011 14:55:36 MST Print View

I do a lot of work with British car manufacturers. A bonnet is the hood of a car, and a boot is the trunk. Here is the US, women wear bonnets and some people hike in boots. The UK and US have a lot in common, and we are only separated by our language :)

Jason Hung
(moma-moma) - F - M

language on 12/15/2011 02:23:19 MST Print View

yes I mean the hood (US) , after you open the hood, on the hood you will see some silver insulation.

I learn my English in Hong Kong and Aus, so i really dont know thats also call Hoods or trunk :P

Just like thongs or call g-string hahaha

coz the Reflectix is hard to get from outside USA so i m finding alt material to make a cozy.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: language on 12/15/2011 12:31:40 MST Print View

Jason, try a sun shade. They're cheap and easy to find. One like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Expressions-11526AX-Max-Reflector-Sunshade/dp/B000CAINEI/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1323977405&sr=1-6

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Reflectix vs bonnet insulation on 12/15/2011 12:33:14 MST Print View

If you can't find what you exactly need, would thin bubble wrap covered on each side with aluminum foil work?

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
homemade reflectix on 12/15/2011 13:00:37 MST Print View

I think that would work, Nick, but it would be a lot heavier than the microthin-aluminized layers in the mass-produced stuff. I think the window-shades and similar products are available in The East, because I noted that's where some of them in my auto-parts store say they were made.

The reflective insulation under the hood of my cars is too think and heavy to be useful in the outback, since it incorporates a thick felt to deaden sound.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Reflectix on 12/15/2011 13:05:19 MST Print View

Try searching for 'Thermawrap'. That's what the UK product is known as.

Jason Hung
(moma-moma) - F - M

Reflectix on 12/15/2011 20:35:39 MST Print View

Thanks you guys for all the brain storming!!

Eugene,
Yes the sun shade is very easy to find in here, as it is a very comment stuff! Some of them i dont know is it a foil laminated or just spray on, i think laminated will be more efficiency. But i will check them out!

Nick,
I have also got the similar idea if i cant find the Reflectix, my idea was use those thin soft foam and stick with those foil sticker, the foil sticker is quit comment in here to warp around for the air con piping! But i dont know how the out come of the weight! Let see

Erik,
Why i asking the hood insulation coz i find something that is quite thin in here, around 0.7cm so that's why i questioned on this topic. Or may be the material is different then the state!

Thx Mike, i will look for the Thermawarp in here too!

Haha hope can make something out for this winter!!

Cheers
Jason

Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
large padded envelopes on 12/19/2011 19:22:03 MST Print View

Large envelopes made with a plastic outside and a bubble wrap inside can be used. Either cut it short for a bag style cozy, or cut it open then use the flat material to wrap the pot.