Where to sell my UL stuff?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joseph Johnson
(jjohn06)
Where to sell my UL stuff? on 12/13/2011 11:39:05 MST Print View

So, I don't know where else to put this and do not want to start a long thread, but...

I have followed BPL for a long time and really appreciated the community-based magazine, articles, and forums. I am no longer happy with the way BPL operates and am looking for a place to sell some of my UL surpluses. HammockForums requires a 15 post minimum, which honestly seems obnoxious, so I'd prefer if i didn't have to spam them.

Joe

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Where to sell my UL stuff? on 12/13/2011 13:01:51 MST Print View

"so I'd prefer if i didn't have to spam them."

nice attitude. Go to E- oh you don't want to pay.

Craigslist. Don't get murdered.

James Arriola
(Ravs4fun) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
Selling gear on 12/13/2011 13:32:40 MST Print View

Joseph,

You could try geartrade or trailspace forums to sell gear. Craigslist is also a possibility. You could keep an eye out on gear swap WTB postings also. Ebay is also worth considering but you have to pay for each posting and a final value fee.

Good luck with selling your gear.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Selling gear on 12/13/2011 13:53:09 MST Print View

Or just join BPL and be a supporter.....

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Where to sell my UL stuff? on 12/13/2011 14:10:35 MST Print View

Join and sell to a targeted audience. You might even get a few more dollars. (Almost anything that is UL will sell here provided it still has miles left on it.)
Go somewhere free, post and see how you do. You are free to make this choice. There is also a list on yahoo, I believe. Hmmm yes... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearSwap/

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
15 posts is nothing on 12/13/2011 14:10:36 MST Print View

That's one day of active posting.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Where to sell my UL stuff? on 12/13/2011 14:18:47 MST Print View

+1 on supporting BPL. It allows reaching the exact users you want and is far faster and easier than eBay.

If you live in a big city with a lot of hikers, Craigslist is a viable option, but nowhere near the concentration of users as BPL and tends to be more seasonal. Craigslist can be good for more traditional gear.

eBay does work, but not as well for the more esoteric gear. If you have mainstream branded gear, eBay is fine, but it is on a case-by-case basis. You may find some items flooded with listings (dropping the price) and you may need to take more time to educate your buyers with more information and detail in the listings, better photos, etc.

You may find local hiking web site with a gear trade forum. NWHikers.net is a good example for the Pacific NW. There are other national sites, but most require some level of membership like BPL and Hammock Forums. No free lunches!

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
mec on 12/13/2011 14:26:21 MST Print View

if yr in canada ... mec gear swap ... free

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
Re: Where to sell my UL stuff? on 12/13/2011 16:19:49 MST Print View

As others have said there are a few options other than BPL to sell gear.

I'd think long and hard about joining BPL if all you're going to do is sell gear though. Unless you're going to be selling a few hundred dollars worth of gear it isn't worth it.

Also I don't buy that you'll get more money for the gear if you become a member and sell it though BPL. Take a look at the Gear Swap form; unless the gear is priced around 60% retail members always seem to try and talk you down in your price.

Now if you would like to learn more about UL backpacking, think you'll read the articles, and want to help support BPL then become a member. Unless you're an absolute novice don't become a member because some yahoo here on the form says that 'you owe it to the site' for using the forms.

Joseph Johnson
(jjohn06)
re: on 12/13/2011 16:52:28 MST Print View

I really don't want to get into here, but I have been a member of BPL and have refer many, many, people wishing to get into long-distance, lightweight, and minimalist backpacking. I liked BPL because of the community, and I no longer see that. So appreciate the suggestions, still really niche UL products are a hard sell in most places, even if I just basically want to give them away. Thanks.

Joe