Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » FieldCandy tents

Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
FieldCandy tents on 12/12/2011 23:34:57 MST Print View

putting here as methinks these may generate some philosophical "discussion" ...

http://www.fieldcandy.com/

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2011/12/fresh-goods-the-wildest-tents-youve-ever-seen/

FieldCandy tents are absurd. Their prices are through the roof (most start at $618), their pup-tent structure likely wouldn’t survive a moderate windstorm, and they seem to think that shock-cord poles are the cutting edge of technology. But let’s not kid ourselves: These aren’t tents for the Himalaya (or even the Catskills). Nor are they for hardcore users. What is they are is for people with a sense of humor (and too much money). They’re fun, silly, creative, goofy, and absurd — none of which are qualities you’ll find in the mainstream outdoor industry and all of which are a breath of fresh air. And whether you find yourself laughing with them or at them, laughing is good.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: FieldCandy tents on 12/13/2011 00:09:30 MST Print View

They don't exist outside of a program like Photoshop.

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: Re: FieldCandy tents on 12/13/2011 06:59:15 MST Print View

Eugene, it looks like you actually can buy them...

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Field Candy are amazing on 12/13/2011 16:36:07 MST Print View

"The 100% natural cotton inner tent is produced in China using regionally grown cotton."
--Excellent spin.

I think the question that needs to be asked is, whether the printer those folks have found will do that stuff on cuben fiber...

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Hey Ron! on 12/13/2011 16:57:41 MST Print View

I want a Watermelon Duomid!!!!

Joslyn Bloodworth
(JoslynB) - F

Locale: Southwest
Re: FieldCandy tents on 12/14/2011 06:57:51 MST Print View

"their pup-tent structure likely wouldn’t survive a moderate windstorm"

I find this statement hard to believe since they aren't that different from many of the tents we know though experience do indeed hold up. At least if they fail it won't be due to their shape.

I can see these as being fun for the backyard and kids if it weren't for that price. Although I think a stealth backpacker would have a heart attack seeing these on the local trail!! :)

Edited by JoslynB on 12/14/2011 06:58:43 MST.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Printed ideas on 12/14/2011 09:27:09 MST Print View

On the translucent cuben fiber, I was thinking the image of a large fire that would have effect when backlit, or a charging bear with slobber and fire in the eyes, might be good. Uh, not around folks with guns or bows...heh heh!

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Re: FieldCandy tents on 12/14/2011 12:16:51 MST Print View

I think you might get eaten by thru-hikers if you get the sandwich one.

Duane Hall
(PKH) - M

Locale: Nova Scotia
Re: FieldCandy tents on 12/15/2011 09:03:04 MST Print View

They are beautiful though.