Forum Index » Winter Hiking » 2-man winter tent

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
2-man winter tent on 12/12/2011 19:59:43 MST Print View

I'm about to pull the trigger on a TT Scarp 2 W/ripstop interior and crossing poles. Primary use will be winter camping. The total weight will be about 4.75 lbs. Weight off my wallet will be $375.

QUESTION:
What 2 person, free standing, double wall tent LESS costly than a Hilleberg and less weight than (or equal to) the Scarp 2 should I consider?

Two vestibules would be nice but not required. Must have mostly ripstop inner tent.

Paul Hope
(PaulHope) - F
Re: 2-man winter tent on 12/12/2011 21:56:41 MST Print View

Where do you plan on using this tent and under what conditions do you usually find yourself in during the winter?

i.e. heavy snow, strong winds, above treeline etc? Any future plans or expectations for the shelter, Denali, Aconcagua etc?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: 2-man winter tent on 12/12/2011 22:23:59 MST Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/14821/index.html?skip_to_post=110185#110185

Happy hunting. My Unna gets here Thursday.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: 2-man winter tent on 12/13/2011 05:56:19 MST Print View

Hi Eric,

I have a Scarp 1 and it is a fine tent but for 4 season use I am going to purchase a Hilleberg.

Cheers,

Stephen

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
My Winter Conditions on 12/13/2011 09:15:16 MST Print View

I'll use it in the western mountains like the Spring Mt'ns. just outside of 'Vegas, the Sierra Nevada, northern Nevada's Ruby Mt'ns. and possibly the Rockies' Indian Peaks range.

If I get the Scarp 2 I will shorten the crossing poles and run them Inside the fly, corner-to-corner, with the ends in wedge-shaped Cordurs pockets sewn at the apexes of the corner CF rods. I've done this with my TT Moment and an inside configuration gives better canopy support.

IF a Hilleberg 2 man tent is lighter by enough I suppose I could cough up the extra money. I'll check HJilleberg's website. Whatever it is it must be freestanding (except the vestibule).

But is there an American brand 2 man, 4 season tent at 4.75 lbs. or less? I haven't found one so far in a double wall of ripstop fabric.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: My Winter Conditions on 12/13/2011 09:35:06 MST Print View

Hi Eric,

What you plan sounds like it will make the Scarp very strong, just be careful of the poles causing friction damage.

I really fo like the Scarp but the material is very lightweight.

Cheers

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: My Winter Conditions on 12/13/2011 13:30:38 MST Print View

> is there an American brand 2 man, 4 season tent at 4.75 lbs. or less? I haven't found one
> so far in a double wall of ripstop fabric.

Basically, no. The American vendors (and their Chinese manufacturers) go for the mass market, and that does not include severe winter conditions. For what you are looking for you need either a Northern European or New Zealand tunnel tent: those countries have that sort of weather as a norm.

Cheers