Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
New Golite Line NOW for sale
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Locale: South
New Golite Line NOW for sale on 01/12/2007 21:23:14 MST Print View

All Golite's new packs have been released on www.backcountrygear.com. Just put my order in for the Jam 2!

Phil Stetz
(pstetz) - F
Re: New Golite Line NOW for sale on 01/12/2007 21:41:02 MST Print View

i checked product availability (for the jam2) and it says they're all on backorder. you know the ship date?

Edited by pstetz on 01/12/2007 21:48:21 MST.

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

New Golite packs on 01/12/2007 21:54:43 MST Print View

Not sure when it will ship. I didn't realize it was backordered; I was just so excited they finally came out. I purchased, but nowhere does it tell me when it will actually be shipped. Golite hasn't updated their site yet, so it may be once Golite starts selling them on their website.

Edited by dstenberg1 on 01/12/2007 21:55:13 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: New Golite packs on 01/12/2007 22:52:09 MST Print View

NM

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/31/2013 14:40:12 MDT.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Re: New Golite packs on 01/13/2007 02:33:19 MST Print View

David, this is another trick of many OnLine Retailers. At least, BCG doesn't charge one's CC b/f they ship. Or, at least, that has always been their policy in my past experience with them. Others are not so reputable. I only learned this by being caught in their "leg hold" [trap] myself in the past. They advertised, sometimes a month or more ahead of time, take your order and charge your card (once approx. SIX months ahead of time as product was continually delayed - NOT talkin' Big Sky here). Sure, you can cancel and ask for a refund. Some are good at stringing you along w/periodically updated DATES that the product is now scheduled to arrive. It changes by just two or three weeks, that i would figure, "Well, Johnson, it's only another 2-3 weeks, so, since you've waited this long, why not another couple of weeks." Clever folk that they are. Guess that's why they are successful businessmen, and i'm a flop at business and consulting ventures.

When i read this morning the listing of new Posts, i immediately went to the GoLite website to see them. Not there. The picture immediately became clearer. I think some retailers do this and don't even identify it as a pre-order in order to gauge the INTEREST of the audience in the product???

BCG is a good company - just like you said. They don't charge until they ship, and they probably (???) will ship Orders chronologically (first placed = first shipped). That's my guess anyways.

EDIT:
Should be able to get some really good deals on Gust, Jam, etc. once the new products arrive. I've purchased even year old GoLite packs for as low as $30 (a hideous "Incredible Hulk" green monstrosity - but it functions perfectly which is mostly what matters) and $50 (for nicer colors). I would expect similar low prices when the NEW LINE (and not just annual updates to existing packs) are introduced. The current packs that i am familiar with are really quite excellent, IMHO. The new ones are better (if i understood Mr. Skurka's writings correctly), but someone won't go wrong saving money on the earlier/current product line either. Just a thought that might benefit someone on a tight budget.

Edited by pj on 01/13/2007 02:38:36 MST.

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

re: Golite packs on 01/13/2007 05:59:54 MST Print View

I was fine with the backorder, but on the home page of the website at BCG it says:

"For 2007, GoLite has completely redesigned their backpacks. Golite's new packs drive home the "lighter and faster" philosophy, while keeping packing comfortable and affordable. All 2007 Golite packs are now in stock and shipping."

I checked availability on the new packs and they seem to all be "backordered". I really like BCG and have used them a lot. I have never had any problems before. I hope this isn't one of these "string the buyer along tricks", but I have no reason to think this since they have had such good service in the past. That being said, it specifically states on the website the packs are in stock and shipping....hopefully they just messed up on the availability and not on their advertising of the Golite line.

John Rowling II
(jrowling) - F

Locale: Great Lakes Area
Re: re: Golite packs on 01/13/2007 11:58:10 MST Print View

It sounds like companies are gearing up for Spring! Any word on the Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus? That's what I'm waiting for. GG says it will be sometime in 2007.

b d
(bdavis) - F

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.
Re: re: Golite packs on 01/13/2007 12:09:54 MST Print View

David S wrote: I hope this isn't one of these "string the buyer along tricks.

I have the perception, as on old business lawyer, that you all -- the UL/SUL and L community, and BPL as a sort of condensation point -- are influencing the industry and they are trying to catch up with the market. I also think pj is right, if the businesses are surprised by a radical increase in interest in light weight gear they may use pre-ordering or sample gear to test whether to invest in the purchase of inventory.

I get that feeling dealing with REI, for example, in discussing the UL series packs they make. The bigger companies, and even some of the smaller cottage industry businesses, seem to be redesigning as fast as they can to meet the demands for light, or UL, gear that is durable. And, they are trying to figure out comfort in the equation.

I talked with a Mountain Hardwear person a few weeks ago and they told me that their tent people are designing and redesigning and redesigning now for the market two years down the road to try to keep up.

Thus, I think there is a kind of push to capture market share and pre-orders or orders in advance of availability. That said, I don't think most businesses (or those that are in it for the long haul) try to fool the customers, they get caught with demand exceeding the stock on hand and the manufacturing process takes time so they end up not really being honest about what they have on hand and what is supposed to be coming in "soon."

All I am really trying to get at here is the businesses are now trying to keep up with the users demands for product and they may be getting hit with a wave, tidal wave, of demand because the UL people are winning not only recognition but influencing the larger market consumer base to deman lighter weight gear. Just a thought.

bd

Edited by bdavis on 01/13/2007 12:12:34 MST.

Jason Shaffer
(PA_Jay) - F

Locale: on the move....
Re: Re: re: Golite packs on 01/13/2007 12:33:14 MST Print View

For those still up in the air: I ordered a Jam2 from BCG yesterday morning, and it shipped yesterday as well. I talked to a rep who said they had only just received them the day before.

Robert McGaughey
(havoc) - F

Locale: North Texas
Re: Re: re: Golite packs on 01/13/2007 14:47:19 MST Print View

Thats great new Jason. What color did you order? I have not been able to locate the new colors for the Jam2, except for the blue one on bcg. I was in Boulder last September and went to the Golite warehouse/store/headquarters there and I was able to check out the new Jam2. I then put it on my buy list. It was very comfortable, with better shoudler padding, and I really liked the way you could cinch down the volume of the pack for summitting. Good luck with your new pack and please keep us informed of how you like it.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Re: Re: re: Golite packs on 01/13/2007 18:31:25 MST Print View

I better call them and run up to Boulder. I'm going to put an ION and the new ULA Amp through their paces and see if either one will work for me this summer.

David Passey
(davidpassey) - F - M

Locale: New York City
Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Golite packs on 01/13/2007 18:40:48 MST Print View

I've been watching the ULA website for more info on the Amp. Do you know more about the pack than what has been posted on the website?

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Golite packs on 01/13/2007 19:10:05 MST Print View

I emailed Brian. He said:
"As for comparative purposes, the AMP has 3 exteral pockets, and a very good compression system..."

I just wanted to post details about the Amp, not anything he said about comparing it to the Ion as it was not a public conversation.

He also said he's working on getting some Amp's sewn and in stock before he posts the rest of the info but that should be happening soon. Hopefully this weekend he'll get some done if we're lucky.

Brian Frankle
(bdf37) - F
ULA Amp and new SUL pack availability on 01/13/2007 21:36:34 MST Print View

Folks...

As Chris mentioned the AMP is coming along. In the past I've been in the habit of allowing orders to be placed before I had stock built up. I am trying to behave myself this year...so no order ability until I have a few around, which I am planning to do by 2/1/07. As for some details...3 external pockets, dyneema gripstop, 1.9 oz nylon, and a VERY active compression system. Since I added a front pocket the weight has increased to 10 oz and the volume has increased by ~400 cu in.

Also, should all the stars of production align, I have another SUL Pack in the works which is full suspension (read: actual load transfer) and ~4,000 cu in. 5 external pockets, dyneema gridstop, 1.9 oz nylon, and VERY active compression. I hope to have this pack ready to go by 3/1/07.

Anyway, just thought I'd provide some more clarity.

Brian

Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!
Re: ULA Amp and new SUL pack availability on 01/13/2007 21:51:23 MST Print View

Any weight projections on the ~4,000 cu in. 5 external pockets model?
Thanks,
MIkeB

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Locale: North East
Re: New Golite Line NOW for sale on 01/14/2007 05:51:13 MST Print View

GoLite Jam2 :: Backpacking
Nintendo Wii :: Gaming
Apple iPhone :: Gadgets

So much hype and excitement on the new Jam2. I have to to keep telling myself that my Infinity is a GREAT pack and I don't need a new pack.

Edited by fperkins on 01/14/2007 05:52:10 MST.

Michael Freyman
(mfreyman) - MLife
Colors? on 01/14/2007 13:10:48 MST Print View

Does anyone know what color "Grease" is on the new GoLite packs???

Is it a true grey color or some off color purple or something???

thanks for any info ...

Brian Frankle
(bdf37) - F
Re: Re: ULA Amp and new SUL pack availability on 01/15/2007 08:54:55 MST Print View

Mike-

Yeah...16 oz. My apologies for not including that info in the original post.

Brian

Stephen Nelson
(stephenn6289) - F

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Colors? on 01/15/2007 10:36:58 MST Print View

Michael, If you go to backcountrygear.com, they show each of the colors, but you have to look at different packs to see them. I believe that grease was shown on the Ion pack. It is a true gey color. Also, I called the company and they have not updated their availability page, however, the packs are definitely in stock and shipping.

Gene .
(Tracker)

Locale: New England
Re: Re: Re: ULA Amp and new SUL pack availability on 01/15/2007 11:06:04 MST Print View

Brian, Any chance you'll make a Catalyst pack without the foam back, allowing a GG Nightlight Pad insertion in it's place?

I've been interested in this pack for sometime;yet want to carry the Pad as the back foam. Also maybe have a gussetted rear pocket that could hold more loosely packed wet stuff to dry.

Michael Freyman
(mfreyman) - MLife
Re: Re: Colors? on 01/15/2007 14:59:03 MST Print View

thanks for the info stephen

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: Re: Colors? on 01/15/2007 16:55:35 MST Print View

Just talked to GoLite. The online retailers have all the stock at the moment. I was going to pick one up at the warehouse here in Boulder but they don't even have any themselves. Ordered up a Large grease Ion from backcountry plus a couple GPS mounts for my bikes.

BTW the Ion is the only unisex pack in the new lineup, the rest are men/women specific. Can't wait until it gets here!

Robert McGaughey
(havoc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Colors? on 01/15/2007 17:03:54 MST Print View

Thanks for the update Christopher. Please let us know what you think of the Ion after it arrives.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Colors? on 01/15/2007 18:24:51 MST Print View

So you guys getting the ion don't care about outside pockets? I guess Plesko is used to it having used the REI flash UL. It would force use of platypus type water holders and not bottles huh?

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: ULA Amp and new SUL pack availability on 01/15/2007 19:22:47 MST Print View

I can't wait to see the new Amp! It sounds like just what I'm looking for. I'd love to get an MLD pack, but I don't know if a silnylon pack would hold up for me. I try to be gentle on my gear, but sometimes I can't avoid it. The dyneema might be a better option for me. And the Amp's volume should be just right for me. We'll have to see what MLD comes out with when they relaunch. Hopefully its soon, I'm getting anxious!

Adam

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Colors? on 01/15/2007 19:56:57 MST Print View

Outside pockets don't do me much good while riding but I'm coming from a mountain biker background, not a hiker. I've got pockets in my jersery already for things like a windshirt or a camera and use both a bladder inside the pack (water only) and often a water bottle (with sports drink) on the bike. If I found the right type of waist belt with pockets perhaps I could ditch the cycling specific jersey but I've grown accustomed to it and on the trips I've left it behind I always miss it.

I'm looking for a small, durable pack that's got a waist belt and sternum strap, has a real sized torso (Flash is shorter than I'd like) and is just a little bigger than the REI flash with a more distinct closure. We'll see how the Ion does when it gets here. The GoLite Dawn I have is a step in the right direction from the REI Flash UL but it's too big, too heavy (relatively speaking), made out of too much silnylon and has too much extra crap hanging off it.

Michael Freyman
(mfreyman) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Colors? on 01/15/2007 20:03:29 MST Print View

Christopher ... what is the recommended torso size for the large? Ion??

And, does the volume change with the various pack sizes? or just torso length?

Thanks!

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Colors? on 01/15/2007 20:07:40 MST Print View

Quoting an earlier email from GoLite:
"The large torso will be available for 19.5 - 21.5 inch spine. The size large will have about a 1700 cubic inch volume."

Based on that I'd say that they're about 100cubic inches extra for the medium and 200cubic inches extra for the large. I have a large Dawn and it is much better than the REI in terms of ideal fit.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Christopher, this pack? on 01/15/2007 20:56:06 MST Print View

Christopher, you said
"I'm looking for a small, durable pack that's got a waist belt and sternum strap, has a real sized torso (Flash is shorter than I'd like) and is just a little bigger than the REI flash with a more distinct closure"

This OR pack is longer and bigger than the flash (which I have), but has the distinct closure and larger size. You can add a sternum strap for a few dollars. 346g for 30L. Too big or heavy?
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/style/36600outdoor research drycomp summit sack

Michael Freyman
(mfreyman) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Colors? on 01/15/2007 21:27:13 MST Print View

Thanks Christopher ... that is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Christopher, this pack? on 01/15/2007 21:46:41 MST Print View

I've looked at that pack before. It is interesting but I haven't got to play with one in person to figure out if it would work. I don't like the side pockets and I'm guessing the material is closer to silnylon than Dyneema? Plus it's 3 ounces heavier than the Ion and has lots of little dohickies that are not pleasing :)

John S.
(jshann) - F
My guess on colors... on 01/16/2007 08:23:18 MST Print View

Grease- grey
Tempest- blue
Avocado- bright green
Iris- purple
Burnt orange- burnt orange
Lip- red
Palm- light green
Crimson- crimson red

aaron mount
(amount) - F

Locale: Sierra Foothills
Golite Breeze went for $188 on EBAY on 01/16/2007 10:54:37 MST Print View

Check this out!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/GoLite-Breeze-Pack-Size-Large-Color-Green-Backpack-Hike_W0QQitemZ180072473450QQihZ008QQcategoryZ36111QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180072473450

Is this because it is part of the RAY WAY?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Golite Breeze went for $188 on EBAY on 01/16/2007 11:48:03 MST Print View

Lucky dog -- always nice to have an auction where a newbie is determined to win no matter the cost!

Happened to me once -- I was able to sell my used sleeping bag for a buck more than what I paid for when new! :)

Edited by ben2world on 01/16/2007 11:48:42 MST.

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Jam 2 shipped out today on 01/16/2007 11:51:30 MST Print View

That is unbelievable that the Golite Breeze would go for that! there is a medium one on ebay right now also, but nohwere near that price. I guess those who wanted it had to have the size large.

I just got an email from backcountrygear and my Jam 2 shipped out today! I have always had wonderful service with Backcountrygear. They have been quick take returns and usually have what I want in stock. Again, they have come through for me. I can't wait to get the Jam 2 and go out and use it!

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Ultralight collectors items on 01/16/2007 12:52:12 MST Print View

I've noticed Breeze packs going for higher and higher prices. I think they are becoming collectors items- or at least some people REALLY want to keep using them!

I'm hanging onto mine- that's for sure!

What else will end up in the UL hall of fame? An original floorless Tarptent perhaps? Anything with an original GVP tag? With Beyond Backpacking out of print, watch those prices too!

Thomas Knighton
(Tomcat1066) - F

Locale: Southwest GA
GoLite Breeze on 01/16/2007 13:35:18 MST Print View

And here I was hoping I could have snagged it for $30 or so. Little did I know...

I guess I'll quit looking for them, since I need a large size in just about every type of pack out there :(

Tom

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Golite Breeze went for $188 on EBAY on 01/16/2007 15:22:37 MST Print View

I have a couple of thoughts on this one:

1) was it was RayJardine's personal Breeze? [it was listed as USED]

2) i have two Breezes; one with over 1000miles on it (i added a 2oz padded wing hipbelt off of a LLBean daypack), AND the other....[maestro, drum roll please]...

is completely, totally, 100% NEW and UNUSED.

Wonder what it would bring on eBay?

Thomas Knighton
(Tomcat1066) - F

Unused Breeze on 01/16/2007 17:09:48 MST Print View

You could probably retire ;)

Tom

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Re: Re: Golite Breeze went for $188 on EBAY on 01/16/2007 18:13:02 MST Print View

You're going to be a rich man!

That pack was just a normal Golite Breeze. They were unchanged through their run. But yes- it's the "Ray Way" design by Ray Jardine and one of the Golite originals.

Man, I remember that first Golite catalog so well. It had the Breeze, Gust, and the Day (a small Breeze). It had the Cave and the bug netting part. It had the Coal jacket and a couple of rainwear pieces. Also one of the primiere wind/bug jacket/pant combos of its time. I bought 2 Breezes, a Gust, a coal, and 2 sets of wind clothing. God that was cool. I was transformed!

In fact, I'll give you $450 for your new Breeze. Ha! Cancel that- I still have mine!!!

Ultralight memory lane ain't very long folks!

Doug

Brett Tucker
(blister-free) - F

Locale: Puertecito ruins
Re: Re: Re: Golite Breeze went for $188 on EBAY on 01/16/2007 21:01:50 MST Print View

Got a GoLite Breeze *prototype* over here - from before the company was born - AND it was worn by Scott "Yo-Yo" Williamson on the PCT for a spell. $1000 obo. :)

Actually, I'm holding on to it, even though the shoulder strap foam is basically made of cheese cloth on these pre-tweaked design. Call me a sentimental sap!

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Golite Breeze went for $188 on EBAY on 01/16/2007 21:28:57 MST Print View

Cool Brett! Could you post a picture of that? I'd love to have a look!

Jason Shaffer
(PA_Jay) - F

Locale: on the move....
Golite pack sizing, etc. on 01/16/2007 21:46:50 MST Print View

Sorry for the delayed reply, just got in from a trip! I ordered the Jam2 in grease (grey). Yep, John Shannon's guesses on the colors sound right to me.

One thing to be aware of, according to Ryan's Frameless Backpacks Analysis (2003): "GoLite (Jam and Dawn) underestimates user torso lengths for their packs by a half to full size (1.5 to 2.0 inches)". So sizing up may be in order, especially at relatively heavier capacity when torso collapse becomes more of an issue. I'll try to post my initial impressions this weekend when mine arrives.

Here's the link to that article: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00194.html

Edited by PA_Jay on 01/16/2007 21:55:54 MST.

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
Re: Re: Re: ULA Amp and new SUL pack availability on 01/17/2007 07:13:35 MST Print View

Brian,
What is the volume of the main packbag? I've been looking for a very light, large volume pack with an internal frame for winter. I use the Mariposa, but would like a little bit more main pack bag volume - than 2900 ci.

Are you going to be at OR? I'd love to do an audio interview with you.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

GoLite Ion on 01/17/2007 10:52:42 MST Print View

The Ion is slated for delivery tomorrow. I've got a long ride scheduled for the weekend in Moab if the weather doesn't change it's mind so I'll report back after I give it a good test. Of course I'll probably also post initial impressions up here too :)

Brett Tucker
(blister-free) - F

Locale: Puertecito ruins
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Golite Breeze went for $188 on EBAY on 01/17/2007 18:58:25 MST Print View

OK, GL Breeze prototype below. A latter-version I guess; not a whole lot different from the final pack. Mainly the shoulder straps are thinner, with less robust foam (note my jury-rigged pieces of z-rest) and no blaze-orange bar-tacking. (That's standard webbing on the straps, never mind the pixel aberrations in the photo). Other differences include, most notably, elastic cord and toggle on the rear stash pocket and side bottle pockets, which was both more secure and more convenient than the final-production stretch webbing, and was per Jardine's original specs. Also, the upper ends of the shoulder straps were box-stitched into the back panel instead of the outside. And the prototype's mesh was less robust than what ultimately emerged for public consumption.GoLite Breeze prototypeGoLite Breeze prototype

And just for fun, here's a prototype 2-person 3D quilt. Actually, it was barely roomy enough for one person, but according to legend this was Ray and Jenny's personal quilt, which fell upon some misfortune at the laundromat, was sent over to GL for whatever reason, and ultimately went out for field-testing. Photo taken at the Saufley's along the PCT in Agua Dulce.prototype 3D quilt

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Golite Breeze went for $188 on EBAY on 01/17/2007 19:59:36 MST Print View

Very cool- thanks Brett! Really cool to see those prototypes!

Hey all- another new Breeze going for a lot on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230077028956&rd=1&rd=1

Thomas Knighton
(Tomcat1066) - F

GoLite Breeze on 01/18/2007 03:27:07 MST Print View

That's not the first time that pack's been listed either. Deal must have fallen through or something.

Tom

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Breeze went for $112.50 on 01/18/2007 07:33:01 MST Print View

I think we're seeing a trend here...

Crazy!

Thomas Knighton
(Tomcat1066) - F

Re: Breeze went for $112.50 on 01/18/2007 09:51:22 MST Print View

Yeah, that Tom won't be able to snag one....EVER!! :D

Tom

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Jam 2 has arrived on 01/18/2007 10:04:26 MST Print View

I got the pack in the mail today. I really like it. In the past I have used size medium Golite packs, and I ordered the Jam 2 in the size medium. It may be too short for me though. I might have to return and get the large. I will see how it works with more weight, but who knows. The exterior pockest and shoulder straps are defintely an improvement. There seems to be a thicker back pad than the previous Jam, but I am not sure. The Compactor feature is interesting, but I am not sure if I would use it that much. It is not adjustable, but one size compacting. I cannot list pictures because I have never learned how. If I figure it out I will post them. Overall from first glance, this pack is going to be great for me!

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

GoLite Ion has arrived on 01/18/2007 16:56:42 MST Print View

Well I may have found my pack. It's definitly minimal but it's bigger than my REI flash, more durable, wider and more padded straps, without ditching the waist belt and sternum strap I want for controlling pack movement. If it weighs what they claim I'll be very happy. There is no framesheet or pocket, just a covered opening for the hydration tube to come out and a zippered top. Here's a few pictures comparing the REI Flash UL and the GoLite Ion.

ion vs flash
ion vs flash back
haul loop
zipper

Can it be modded lighter? Without chopping it up in a major way you can ditch the small haul loop, ditch the key leash, cut the straps down as they're way too long for me even with a fully loaded pack, lighten a buckle or two, ditch the two reflective GoLite straps on the shoulders, replace the zipper pulls with spectra and get ride of the elastic part of the sternum strap (I might just transfer the strap from my Flash over instead).

Can't wait to try it!

Edited by Pivvay on 01/18/2007 16:58:04 MST.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: GoLite Ion has arrived on 01/18/2007 17:13:56 MST Print View

Looks Cool! However, it also seems tall, you purchased a large, what is the overall height? I also wonder how water proof/resistant the zipper is?

Edited by rogerb on 01/18/2007 17:14:31 MST.

Michael Freyman
(mfreyman) - MLife
Re: GoLite Ion has arrived on 01/18/2007 17:41:45 MST Print View

Niiiicccceeee ... hopefully mine is here by Monday ...

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: GoLite Ion has arrived on 01/18/2007 17:55:04 MST Print View

Overall height is about 23" from the base to the back of the pack at the haul loop fully loaded. It doesn't hit my helmet which makes it shorter than a Dawn with the extention collar up. If it hit my helmet I'd be screwed since it's too annoying when the pack does that.

The zipper looks like most standard WP zippers. I don't care if the pack is completely WP since my Flash is far from waterproof and it worked for me last summer although I wouldn't have complained if they also added a small storm flap.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

GoLite Ion weight on 01/18/2007 19:22:20 MST Print View

Well I couldn't resist. I had to run some errands at the grocery store so I grabbed the headlamp and snowbike, stuffed the Ion with some clothes and did my errands by bike. The pack is really comfortable so far. I also had to run into the office to check on a machine and weighed the unmodded Ion.

9.72 ounces for a large. Once I trim the extra 2 feet of straps (I'm not joking) and do a couple other minor mods it should be under 9oz even which was my goal. If I'm really lucky I can hit 8oz with also swapping out the sternum strap for a lighter verson. Woohoo! 8oz SUL Dyneema pack!

Stephen Nelson
(stephenn6289) - F

Locale: Sunshine State
the jam2 on 01/18/2007 21:02:36 MST Print View

mine should be here on monday and I'll pictures up as soon as I can for any of you who are waiting out there.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Ion and Jam2 not on Golite.com? on 01/18/2007 21:58:54 MST Print View

Christopher, that Ion looks excellent, congratulations! And in Dyneema as well.. Hey, I tried to research these new packs (Ion, Jam2, etc..) but I cant find them on golite.com; are they too new, or did I miss them? I know they are on backcountrygear, etc.. but why not at the manufacturers site? Thought maybe you would know. Thanks.

Edited by Brett1234 on 01/18/2007 22:00:24 MST.

Thomas Knighton
(Tomcat1066) - F

Re: Ion and Jam2 not on Golite.com? on 01/19/2007 03:17:44 MST Print View

Brett,

Honestly, they seem to just be to new. All the research I've done on these new packs was mostly from GoLite press releases and such. Their website seriously needs an update!

Tom

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: Ion and Jam2 not on Golite.com? on 01/19/2007 06:25:51 MST Print View

They are really brand new. GoLite should have everything updated by end of Feb from what I can tell but honestly they don't have any packs themselves yet. The online retailers have the first and only batch available for a little while. I learned about them on BPL from the outdoor retailer show article.

There was even a mistake on the Ion's tag about an male/female specific Ion but I talked to GoLite two days ago and the Ion is the only Unisex pack in the new line up.

Robert McGaughey
(havoc) - F

Re: Re: Ion and Jam2 not on Golite.com? on 01/19/2007 07:01:06 MST Print View

I talked with someone at Golite yesterday and they told me the website should be updated next week.

Will Rietveld
(WilliWabbit) - MLife

Locale: Southwest Colorado
New Golite packs on 01/19/2007 08:34:13 MST Print View

Hi All,
I just wanted to mention that I have finished testing the new GoLite Quest and Jam2 and the reviews will be published soon at BPL. Just a small preview - both packs are are really nice and very refined.

Will

Kim Coupounas
(teamgolite) - F
GoLite Packs on 01/19/2007 17:23:49 MST Print View

Hi! Kim from GoLite here. We had an early round of packs that arrived a few weeks ago and everything went immediately. Our full production run of packs arrived TODAY, and all are in our warehouse being quality checked before they are ready to ship out to many more dealers and onto GoLite.com.

We are also launching a completely revised GoLite.com website as well as a brand new GoLite-Footwear.com website, and that's when you'll be able to see all of our new Spring 07 products, including packs adn trail running shoes.

Coup and I are super excited about our new products this season. We hope you like them! So, check back to GoLite.com on Thursday to see it all.

Many thanks,
Kim Coupounas
GoLite Co-Founder

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Golite Breeze- $177.50!!! on 01/28/2007 19:01:17 MST Print View

Another auciton on eBay for an unused Breeze just ended- and it went for $177.50!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230081543503&rd=1&rd=1

I think I'm selling my Microsoft stocks and moving them into Golite Breeze packs. WOW!

Welcome to Ultralight Antiques!

D T
(dealtoyo) - F

Locale: Mt Hood
Re: Golite Breeze- $177.50!!! on 01/29/2007 01:33:24 MST Print View

This is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!

It makes me very happy that I purchased mine for $50 on clearance a couple of years ago. Size large baby, that's right!!!!!

Now I'm sorry I didn't buy more when I had a chance. Oh well, I gots mine.

Thomas Knighton
(Tomcat1066) - F

Insane prices on GoLite Breezes on 01/29/2007 03:34:16 MST Print View

Doug,

That's why I've quit looking. I'd love to have a Breeze, but I'm just not interested in paying out that kind of money for a discontinued pack that I may not even like! Heck, I only paid $63 for my Jam, and it wasn't discontinued at the time!

Tom