Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » Christmas Break Suggestions in Northern California

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Thomas
(caramelmarx) - F

Locale: Southern California
Christmas Break Suggestions in Northern California on 12/11/2011 17:08:25 MST Print View

Hello there,

I just moved to Northern CA and have no snow gear, as all my previous backpacking has been in Southern CA. From my basic knowledge of the area this kind of limits my choices a bit. Belden is a town on the PCT very close to me and I was thinking about doing a hike out of there. Also Lassen and Shasta are within my range but I think they are covered in snow and so I couldn't manage well there.

Anyone have any suggestions about how to spend a 3 day backpacking window in Northern CA with minimal snow to expect? Thanks for any advice you may offer.

Pura vida!

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Loast Coast, Point Reyes to Golden Gate or Henry Coe on 12/11/2011 18:30:40 MST Print View

Hi Matthew,

Welcome to Northern CA!

Here are some pointers for hikes that might be interesting to you and have minimal snow

1) Lost Coast: See this trip report
2) Point Reyes to Mt Tam to Golden Gate Bridge: The loop in this trip would be too long, but starting at Point Reyes and going over Mt Tam and through Muir Woods to Golden Gate Bridge would be nice
3) Henry Coe:

#1 and #2 would be logistically harder because they are one way trips. #3 will be the site of the 4th annual BPL GGG. You could do a loop hike there which will be easier logistically. Then you can come back in February for the big meeting.

Enjoy,

Manfred

Edited by Orienteering on 12/11/2011 18:31:58 MST.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Christmas Break Suggestions in Northern California" on 12/11/2011 18:51:47 MST Print View

I bet you could still get into the Trinity Alps, at least right now. Keep a close eye on the weather though.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: "Christmas Break Suggestions in Northern California" on 12/11/2011 19:01:43 MST Print View

Castle Crags and the Russian Wilderness are at lower elevations. There is some snow in the Trinity Alps now.

Matthew Thomas
(caramelmarx) - F

Locale: Southern California
Thanks for the advice on 12/11/2011 21:22:48 MST Print View

These suggestions are great, thanks. I really love Castle Crags and especially Castle Lake. It also seems pretty warm there so it should be clear of snow.