Forum Index » GEAR » What to do with old wool socks?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
What to do with old wool socks? on 12/11/2011 14:37:42 MST Print View

What do you do with old wool socks that the heels or toes have worn through? Is there a recycling service out there?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: What to do with old wool socks? on 12/11/2011 16:13:33 MST Print View

I don't know, but I hate the fact that I have all these perfectly good socks, except the soles and heels are worn out.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
What to do with old wool socks? on 12/11/2011 16:15:06 MST Print View

Learn to knit?

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
fingerless mittens on 12/11/2011 16:22:47 MST Print View

Cut the feet off. Cut a thumb hole a couple inches up from the bottom. Fingerless mittens. Of course, this only works if they are skinny enough to fit your wrists well.

Travis Naibert
(outwest) - F
leg warmers on 12/11/2011 18:29:05 MST Print View

Cut off toes at mid-arch. Pull them on upside down so the heel is behind my calf muscles and below my knee. Bunch up when hot, scoot down when cold, no need for tights with shorts.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Darn socks! on 12/12/2011 01:11:19 MST Print View

Darn, darn socks!

Seriously, my great aunts and everyone on the Irish side of the family born before 1900 just took as a given that you darned socks to repair the holes. There's a aid, wooden - the shape and size of a goose egg on a stick - that one uses to spread the worn sock onto and add yarn to repair it. As to how to do it, just like tying a bow tie or making a beer-can alky stove, I'd search youtube.

Edited by DavidinKenai on 12/12/2011 01:15:32 MST.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Thanks David on 12/12/2011 06:27:06 MST Print View

One Video

Mark Primack
(Bufa) - MLife

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland
Mice nesting on 12/12/2011 06:37:24 MST Print View

At this joyous time of year when charity is in our hearts, provide the wool to a needy family of mice. Best if done in the home where those needy little creatures can also scavenge food and materials from your still useable cloths and find a little warmth as well. Remember: Mice are people too!

Sergiy Sosnytskiy
(ssv310)

Locale: Ukraine
Re: Darn socks! on 12/12/2011 06:39:26 MST Print View

David Thomas wrote "There's a aid, wooden - the shape and size of a goose egg on a stick - that one uses to spread the worn sock onto and add yarn to repair it."

My grandmother used a burned-out light bulb for that.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
cedar on 12/12/2011 08:45:22 MST Print View

Stuff with cedar shavings and use as sachets. Cheap, and your clothes will never smell musty again.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Thanks on 12/12/2011 10:52:57 MST Print View

Steven: Thanks for posting the video, it made it completely clear how to darn socks. For hiking, I would taper the weft and warps more - take some of them further into the original sock and some not so far so as feather the patch/original junction more.

Everyone ought to buy the pack of six speciality needles (about $2.79 at the supermarket or fabric store) to get a glover's needle for your BP repair kit. A glover's has a very sharp point for going through leather and can be used on the trail (with dental floss) to repair a lot of things. But then you'll also get a darning needle for fixing your sock back at home.

james w glenn
(bark-eater) - F
protecting tools on 12/13/2011 06:32:04 MST Print View

I use old wool socks as padding for my fragile and rust prone woodworking tools. The wicking, insulating and moisture controlling property's of wool make socks ideal for this purpose.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: protecting tools on 12/13/2011 06:43:13 MST Print View

Yeah with a few drops of oil...

Brian Austin
(footeab) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: What to do with old wool socks? on 12/13/2011 21:34:32 MST Print View

Yea, you use them as rags on your automobile. Or rags used in cabinetry finishing process via stains or dye's. Or as rags refinishing your cabinetry. Or put a tennis ball in them and use said sock to throw said ball for your dog.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
socks on 12/14/2011 07:55:02 MST Print View

I really can't darn them as the holes have gone too far. I did patch them with some jeans patches but still have way too many of them as I only did that last year to a ten year supply of holed socks.