How are you celebrating the winter soltice?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
How are you celebrating the winter solstice? on 12/07/2011 16:26:24 MST Print View

<del></del>

Edited by asdzxc57 on 01/29/2012 12:57:10 MST.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Winter Solstice on 12/07/2011 16:44:09 MST Print View

I'll be traveling on the actual solstice but I hope to get out to the spot in my avatar on a day close to the solstice.

It's a Native American rock art site in a shallow cave; the setting sun lights up the concentric rings painted on the side of the cave on (or around) the winter solstice. A very special place, and amongst a few in the area that seem to be tied to the solstice.

Solstice site

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
solstice on 12/10/2011 09:28:42 MST Print View

I was hoping for enough snow to go snowshoeing but mother nature is not being at all cooperative... lol. So, I'll be at the track, running with my husband and son (because that's our new family passion)... not to mention it will keep any holiday weight gain at bay.

Have a Cool Yule!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: How are you celebrating the winter solstice? on 12/10/2011 10:25:14 MST Print View

Inside and toasty warm ;-) I have spent many a solstice outside, not this year :-D

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
How are you celebrating the winter soltice? on 12/10/2011 11:03:06 MST Print View

I didn't even know you were supposed to celebrate.

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Locale: New England
Re: How are you celebrating the winter solstice? on 12/10/2011 11:59:44 MST Print View

Never stood on the shores of one of the great lakes, sounds like a great way to celebrate.

I think the sun does not begin to rise again till the 25th of December. On the 21st it reaches its lowest point and stays there for three days till it rises again.

I will be calling my sister, Its her Bday. Also I am hoping to go to a winter solstice party. My girlfriend has an old boss who lives near by that has legendary parties to celebrate the winter and summer solstice's, or so I hear...he has yet to have one since I have been around. Hmm I wonder how crazy they were...

If not hopefully I will be out on a hike.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: How are you celebrating the winter solstice? on 12/10/2011 12:39:56 MST Print View

Painting myself purple and dancing in a circle of stones, of course.

No real plans. One year we all got together and had a massive bonfire on the beach and played drums. It was very primal and tribal, with costumed revelers on the Fellini side of the universe.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: How are you celebrating the winter solstice? on 12/10/2011 12:59:21 MST Print View

>Painting myself purple and dancing in a circle of stones, of course.

That's my every Friday night.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Re: Re: How are you celebrating the winter solstice? on 12/16/2011 13:15:05 MST Print View

When the days are the shortest of the year and the winter winds howl (even down here), it's time for family and friends, preferably in front of a big fire place.

After Xmas, it's time to start snowshoeing in the mountains, burning off the holiday meals and getting the muscles ready for backpacking next month.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
more climbing on 12/16/2011 13:30:21 MST Print View

my climbing days have been limited to 5 hours or so ... with the time it takes for the morning frost to melt and dry, and the sun going around 4PM ... and the freezing temps in the morning and the evening

once the sun starts setting latter ... happy happy joy joy ;)

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Solstice on 12/16/2011 13:43:11 MST Print View

Plan to spend it surfing in Nicaragua.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
How are you celebrating the winter soltice? on 12/16/2011 13:47:43 MST Print View

I'm hoping to spend a few days tramping around the Shawnee State Forest in Ohio. It ain't the High Sierras, but 'tis the best we got here in Ohio.

Stargazer

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: How are you celebrating the winter solstice? on 12/16/2011 13:51:25 MST Print View

Hanging with my sweet puppy as she recovers from surgery and cleaning up a bit around the house.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: How are you celebrating the winter solstice? on 12/16/2011 13:57:31 MST Print View

Hanging with my sweet puppy as she recovers from surgery and cleaning up a bit around the house...

... and not eating processed foods?

:)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: How are you celebrating the winter solstice? on 12/16/2011 13:59:56 MST Print View

I am hanging out in a ancient native american site in Nevada that I think might have some solstice significance. We shall see if the sun does something spectacular, assuming Mr. Sunny comes out to play. If it doesn't I'll just have to settle for a really neat BPing trip. Sigh.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Bonfire on 12/16/2011 14:41:36 MST Print View

Here in Kenai, Alaska, there are lots of Solstice parties to choose from. They always involve a bonfire with the wood 4 or 5 feet high (lots of beetle-killed spruce) and s'mores. Dinner can be gourmet hotdogs over the fire or an inside potluck. I'm guessing it will in the 20's (F). Hopefully not windy. One year it was -5F and you had to do the rotissoria thing close to the bonfire to keep somewhat comfortable.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"How are you celebrating the winter soltice?" on 12/16/2011 15:17:40 MST Print View

Here in the Mexico border region of Las Cruces, Nueva Mexico there are a few solsticio de invierno fiestas to mooch from. They always involve a drunk uncle about 4 or 5 feet high (lots of tattoos and cucaracha killing botas) and Tecate. Dinner can be handmade tamales or posole cooked with lard over the one stove burner that actually works or chorizo and bologna grilled cheese sandwiches. I'm guessing it will be in the 40's (F), cold enough to wear Dickies pants, my Nike Cortez shoes, a hairnet, and maybe an oversized sudadera. Hopefully not though because I prefer my Lowrider T. One year it was 60F and we all pretended like the flour used for our tortillas was snow so it somewhat looked like winter.

In all seriousness, my Solstice will probably involve good beer, food, and a headlamp led trail run after the food settles.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: How are you celebrating the winter solstice? on 12/16/2011 15:18:04 MST Print View

"... and not eating processed foods?"

I've been doing very good!

Edited by idester on 12/16/2011 15:18:37 MST.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Winter Solstice on 12/16/2011 19:39:02 MST Print View

Timothy- Where will you go on Lake Huron? Looking for some new options.

Douglas- looking forward to your next status report. Sorry to hear about your dog. Hope everything is ok.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
2 on 12/17/2011 09:18:14 MST Print View

Edited by asdzxc57 on 01/25/2012 17:46:32 MST.