2012 Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic gear list
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"2012 Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic gear list" on 12/08/2011 20:20:32 MST Print View

Good call on the tights- simple, warm, clean, light, fast. Your three leg items look pretty solid, the Speedwork tights are surprisingly warm, dry quickly, and move moisture away from the skin very effectively. Paired with the powerstretch knickers you should be pretty toasty, moving at least.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
speedwork tights on 12/08/2011 21:02:45 MST Print View

Those tights are awesome. Dual fabric denier gradient knit FTW!

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: "2012 Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic gear list" on 12/08/2011 21:10:26 MST Print View

I was going to ask about those speedwork tights...I've been eyeing those for a while. Are they warm like winter only warm or could they be an acceptable substitute for soft shell type pants for the rest of they year as well?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Food on 12/08/2011 21:21:53 MST Print View

I won't flog this any more after this, but it seems that hot food has different effects on different people.

Sure I love a hot coffee on the trail or some whole wheat pasta with pesto, but I also get stoked off of a delicious pepperoni stick, a triple chocolate Power Bar or a big salty piece of beef jerky. Maybe I would get a little down on morale if I had to eat GORP the whole time though.

When I'm wet, cold and bummed out, I just want to eat something tasty - whether it's hot or cold. Often in these situations I wind up eating more cold food because I don't want the hassle & wait of prepping something hot. It seems people are different on this though, and you gotta do what works for you.

Edited by dandydan on 12/08/2011 21:26:40 MST.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: speedworks on 12/08/2011 22:10:50 MST Print View

Brendan, they're not winter-only warm. I'd say comparable to the old Traverse pants. And they come in not-black.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: 2012 Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic gear list on 12/08/2011 22:16:06 MST Print View

Keeping the stove at home? What about just using an open fire? When it's super wet out, I just eat cold until I get to camp at night, and spend the effort getting a splitwood fire going to dry off all my stuff and eat a hot meal.
If you are going through tundra though, then that might not be an option.

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
A garment unique in all the Universe! (Prone to hyperbole? Me?) on 12/19/2011 15:50:27 MST Print View

Has anyone else actually tried out Rab’s new Boreas, which may be unique, the only garment on the planet that is a hooded base layer plus a rain-resistant wind shirt? I often wear mine as my only upper-body garment. My experience means nothing, but noted mountain climber Nils Nielsen says: “The last month I’ve been in the French and Swiss Alpes climbing and guiding. Almost every day I’ve been wearing the new Boreas top…. The Boreas is a thin pull-on with a hood, it breaths well, but is still quite windproof. And the hood is super good when it’s windy. The stretchy fabric makes it fit good both with and without a helmet. And the small chest pocket also works well as a stuff pocket and is easily clipped to the harness on warm pitches in the sun.” I believe the Boreas also won an award from some magazine. I liked my first one so well, I bought a second, larger one to go over a Pata-Gucci R1 Hoody. If it’s windy but not cold, I flip up only the Boreas hood, if it’s cold but not windy, I flip up just the R1 hood, and for cold, windy… well, you get the idea.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: Boreas on 12/20/2011 13:39:12 MST Print View

Robert, I'm a huge fan. It's been a great layer for BC skiing thus far. I expect it to be fairly bug proof too.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
2012 Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic gear list on 01/12/2012 18:33:11 MST Print View

Your camera weighs nine ounces. Tough to leave at home I know, but it accounts for 8% of your carried weight (excluding rafting stuff). How about bringing a four or five ounce point and shoot? It will still capture the trip, be less bulky, and shave a 1/4 pound.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: 2012 Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic gear list on 01/31/2012 19:21:33 MST Print View

1) Sleep socks? Nobody sleeps during the Classic. =)

2) After you figure out the 7K calories at 140 cal/oz, could you PLEASE post that?? I'm highly interested!

Justin Baccary
(justin.baccary)
Legwear on 02/04/2012 20:48:04 MST Print View

Dave, I'm trying to get a better understanding of your legwear. Are the Speedwork tights basically mid-weight running-style tights? So your layers are the tights as baselayer, then your "Powerstretch knickers" added as extra warmth (I'm envisioning cut-off Patagonia R1 pants) and your boating pants if necessary? Do I have that right?

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: AMWC gear list on 02/07/2012 08:12:41 MST Print View

Not leaving the camera. Might bring a different (waterproof) one.

Justin, you have the legwear correct.