My Paleo
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eddy Walker
(Ewker)

Locale: southeast
Dr Recommended on 05/11/2012 17:40:52 MDT Print View

My gf's Body Logic Dr has recommended that she start doing this Paleo Solutions Diet.
The Dr said that it is the healthiest way of eating/living. We will be starting on it soon so I have bookmarked this thread and the Paleo Cookbook thread for her to read.

Edited by Ewker on 05/11/2012 17:41:33 MDT.

Ben F
(tekhna) - F
Bioregions on 05/19/2012 01:12:27 MDT Print View

I ask this totally seriously, but if you're eating "Paleo" that means you only eat foods grown within a 50 mile range of your home, right? Like a caveman would? 'cause last I checked, cavemen didn't have access to foods from outside of their bioregion.

Eddy Walker
(Ewker)

well did it work? on 06/20/2012 10:47:32 MDT Print View

Doug and others who were on or going to try the paleo diet out how did you do?

Did you lose the weight you wanted to lose. Are you still on this diet or have you went back to your old ways.

Jack Elliott
(JackElliott) - F

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA
True dat, but . . . on 06/20/2012 20:08:18 MDT Print View

"[...] last I checked, cavemen didn't have access to foods from outside of their bioregion."

. . . it's a red herring. Our ancestors didn't have trucks and Interstates. If I have to bring in a less-industrialized foodstuff from 250 miles away because no one grows or raises it here, it doesn't invalidate the concept of eating like our hominid forefathers(mothers) did.

Kimberly Wersal
(kwersal) - MLife

Locale: Western Colorado
Re: well did it work? on 06/20/2012 22:20:02 MDT Print View

Most of us doing "Paleo" don't consider it a diet, and many are not seeking to lose weight, we're looking to be healthier and eat less crap. That said, I lost about 10 lbs.--wouldn't mind losing 5 more, but don't need to lose any more. My husband was hoping to lose 10 lbs. he lost 20. This is how we eat now.

Eddy Walker
(Ewker)

Re: Re: well did it work? on 06/21/2012 07:22:00 MDT Print View

Kimberly,

based on what you posted it is a diet. The idea of eating healthier and eating less crap is what Paleo is about. So you and your husband had good results based on my question.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
anti-paleo loss on 06/21/2012 15:28:08 MDT Print View

Okay... I thought I'd add to the loss comments (because I'm proud) but I'm not eating Paleo... my diet is of the careful carb selection and watching fats as well as types of fat. Little processed foods... that sort of thing. Mine is a permanent lifestyle change (not saying that Paleo isn't for some). Since mid-March I am down 14 pounds. What's more remarkable are the inches I've lost. Since December we are talking a good 15 inches over all.

The point of my post... other than to say that I am really pleased with what I've accomplished (smiles), is to say that there is more than one way to achieve healthy weight loss results. The thing that what I do and Paleo have in common is the elimination of most processed food from the menu. It makes a big difference.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: well did it work? on 06/21/2012 17:39:38 MDT Print View

Eddy, paleo isn't just a diet. It includes highly integrated forms of exercise and lifestyle. A common exercise routine the people who practice paleo often get into is Crossfit. The eating part is probably the most important part, but it is not the whole of the philosophy.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Paleo and Lifestyle on 06/23/2012 13:41:18 MDT Print View

Paleo... it's interesting about the cross-fit relation. I didn't realize that. Any dietary plan should involve a whole lifestyle of well-being. I figure 20% of what I do is activity related and 80% is nutritionally based. There is a saying that "fit starts in the kitchen". It's all about balance (I know that I've probably said that ad nauseam - lol).

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re: Paleo and Lifestyle on 06/23/2012 21:35:44 MDT Print View

Hi Laurie,

Here is a website that pretty much defines how people who follow the paleo lifestyle try to round out their health.

And here is probably the most comprehensive Q & A about what paleo eating is and how it works that I've read to date. Very clear and well-supported. It should answer a lot of questions.

Edited by butuki on 06/23/2012 21:36:25 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Paleo and Lifestyle on 06/23/2012 23:37:10 MDT Print View

Good links Miguel, thanks.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Paleo and Lifestyle on 06/24/2012 11:05:48 MDT Print View

We went on a Paleo diet about 5 months ago because my wife wanted to lose some weight -- and I realized quickly from a little research that it is a life style, not a diet. I don't understand how people don't see this if they are commenting, unless they haven't done any research -- and then maybe they shouldn't comment?

So how has it gone? Well my weight is now lower than I want it to be. I am at the same weight as I was in high school and I was a serious distance runner in high school. I have lots of energy and can hike 30 miles per day if I need to. To be honest, lately I have been sneaking out of the house every day to get a banana split trying to keep my weight up (but don't want my wife to know). She has not lost as much weight as me, but she is not as active as me.

The life style is more important than any diet, IMO.

I feel great and have lots of energy. Plus steak is my favorite food anyway. I do miss a McDonald's 1/4 pounder meal and Shakey's pizza though :(

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: My Paleo on 07/01/2012 18:08:55 MDT Print View

Ha, teach me to disappear for so long. What a good thread. There's lots that's been touched on, and not too much flaming. I, naturally, have a lot of opinions on this subject, some of it based on science, some on personal experience, and some of it of more of an environmental/political flavour.

The one thing that is very clear to me is that humans are omnivores from an evolutionary POV, and that we can thrive on a very broad range of diets. But diet is only one aspect of health. I am not diabetic, nor pre-diabetic, and that after around half a lifetime as a vegan who ate more carbs than anything else. As an ex-bodybuilder, I am also keenly aware of the effects of different diet and exercise for me. I have tried the high protein, moderate carb. low fat pre-competition diet, as well as the cyclical ketogenic diet. I have spent many hours in metabolic chambers having my RER measured under fasted and non-fasted states, and when I had a type I diabetic boyfriend, I used to also measure my blood glucose under a variety of conditions. To me, the MOST important factor for how MY body handles carbs is my exercise/fitness activities. Whether on a CKD or ordinary diet in a metabolic chamber, I quickly (as in overnight) enter into a ketogenic state even after a high carb dinner the night before. My blood glucose never really 'spikes' no matter what I eat. Why? I can only speculate. Most likely a combination of relatively decent muscle mass combined with daily (sometimes twice daily in the past) weight training and sprinting, as well as regular endurance activities, means all the glucose entering my blood stream had somewhere to go besides straight to fat or stuck in my blood due to poor insulin sensitivity. So really, and this is just opinion, I think activity is more important than diet, assuming you are otherwise getting enough nutrients for good health. Sure, our diet has changed dramatically since the paleolithic period, but obesity didn't become an epidemic until very recently when we no longer had to get off our butts and actively do something to earn our food.

Women's fertility has always been associated with buxomness until recently, and for good reason. A woman need an absolute minimum of around 18% bodyfat to be fertile, 22-25% is probably optimal, AND it didn't used to be very easy for a woman to get enough calories to achieve this fertility in the past. The same is not true for men, so the dichotomy of the lean and muscular male versus the round and voluptuous female as being the ideal is well grounded in our evolution.

I would also say that it s near impossible for any of us to achieve a diet that really resembles what our pre-agricultural ancestors ate, due to the nature and pace of agriculture itself. We've had over 10,000 years of intensive and selective breeding of livestock, fruits, vegetables and grains, and where ever 'modern' man is found we also have a pretty monocultural diet of foods grown on soils that bear no resemblance to what our ancestors ate. Of course, there are still foods like fish and wild game around, but not enough to feed the current hoards. I feel particularly strongly about the fishing industry, as it is so far below sustainable that I hesitate to recommend seafood as something that we should eat a lot of. Not because it's bad for us personally, but because it is bad for us collectively, however, I know that for many of you this is irrelevant and you are really only interested in what is good for you personally, right here and now, and let the future be someone else's problem.

Bringing some science back into this, it seems that focusing on one particular part of your diet as being 'bad' for you is easy to do because of the vast amount of wrong or mis-information that we have been fed. Cholesterol is not 'bad' for you, saturated fats are not 'bad' for you, and the glycemic index is a load of hogwash for most of us, unless you are really going to sit and eat just a bowl of rice, with no other carbs, proteins or fats in the meal. However, the concept of glycemic load is important, as any IDDM patient will tell you. But even this pales in importance if you have a healthy pancreas, insulin sensitive cells and a neutral calorie balance.

What DOES seem to be 'bad' for us, is combining lots of saturated fats with lots of sugars. This combination is bad news on all levels of health, so limiting one of these nutrients in your diet seems sensible, as does limiting sodium and non-nutrient dense calories. The one thing I will agree on is that sugar is bad in excess, and was a rare treat for our ancestors, often reserved for children and sick people. Yes, this includes fruit, especially modern fruit that is bred and carefully tended for high sugar content and large size.

It is easy for many people to assume that someone like me who has spent much of their life as a vegan is a nut-case. Well, I may be a nut-case! But I approached veganism with a solid background in nutrition, plus I am no longer a vegan. I eat eggs laid by our happy hens in the back yard, and kindly accept offers of wild game that has had a humane life and quick death (in NZ, pretty much all wild game is considered a pest, so wild game is in season all year round). I grow as many of my own organic fruit and veg as I can, and the rest of it *mostly* comes from local sources. I am also a firm believer that if it needs a food label, you shouldn't eat it, unless the label is merely there to tell you that it is/is not locally produced, or is/is not organically grown and humanely raised. But this is in the area of ethics rather than nutrition, so doesn't relate to the OP.

I also know that there is no one "right" diet. Some folks have allergies/intolerances to certain foods, and some ethnicities are less able to cope with modern foods. Why, for instance, do the Pima indians have such a high rate of diabetes? It is also really a lot easier for some of us to say no to certain foods/drugs that others have strong addictions to? I personally can't stand the taste of sweet foods, naturally occurring or otherwise. This is probably the hand of genetic luck, as much as I would like to say I just have better will power or restraint. Some of us are just more unlucky than others (I'm guessing Miguel was pretty unlucky to end up with IDDM). So find what works for you and be happy that you found something. But try not to feel too religious about it, we are too diverse a species to have a one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re: My Paleo on 07/02/2012 05:04:59 MDT Print View

Lynn!!! Long time no see! SO good to see you back! We thought you'd renounced computers or something! :-^)

I just got back from work and still haven't had chance to sit down and read anything, so I'll get back to you after I've had a little time. You are definitely one person we've all missed and who would make fantastic contributions to this thread!!!

Again, so good to see you back!

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Good to be back on 07/02/2012 15:20:12 MDT Print View

Hi Miguel, I've missed these boards. Our series of earthquakes have had repercussions for my work environment (where I used to do a lot of my posting from, Ahem), and also repercussions for local hiking due to rockfall danger and trails missing important chunks. However, slowly adapting to the "new normal" as they call it.

I made a leg of Thar tortilla roll for lunch today. Flour/spinach tortilla (lots of 'bad' carbs and gluten), with hummus (plenty of 'anti-nutrients'), homemade vegetable pickle and freshly picked greens. Yum. Thar, for those of you not familiar with it, is basically an alpine goat. It was shot 10 days ago and hung for 7 days before I cooked a hind leg in the slow cooker. Breakfast today was eggs...just boiled eggs. For those of you that haven't caught up with the latest in egg research, eating plenty of eggs in the absence of carbs or saturated fats is a great way to increase your HDL. My HDL is almost sky-high, higher than my LDL, and I eat lots and lots of eggs these days. I have my brother and mother doing the same, as they had pretty bad cholesterol profiles and wanted to get off statins. It has really worked for them too. YMMV. My brother, who is 8 years younger than me, has struggled for almost a decade with pre-diabetes, weight issues and cholesterol problems. He (without my prompting but based on his own research) has been totally vegan except for the eggs for the last year, and he is finally healthy again, at least weight-wise and as far as you can tell from blood tests. I'm pretty sure he could have achieved a similar outcome by ditching the grains and legumes in exchange for good quality animal products. Just so many ways to skin that cat. The key to both a paleo approach and vegan (as well as other lifestyle approaches) is, IMHO, a) limiting at least one food group, b)emphasising exercise or an active lifestyle, c) getting plenty of fresh fruit and veggies (so balancing nutrition without the limiting food group). I would also add that managing stress is ultra important. Hike lots, it's a great de-stressor.

My interest in IDDM has recently been rekindled, as a colleague has a young son who was born without a pancreas or gall bladder. You can't get much more IDDM than that, and because my colleague and I both work in the field of genetics, we were able to do a complete and exhaustive DNA analysis of his son, and found a single DNA base mutation in one gene that caused his congenital defect. I'm betting, with a lot more energy, we will be finding many cases of juvenile IDDM also involve just one or a few mutations that predisposes to diabetes in the 'right' environment (ahem, maybe I mean 'wrong' environment???). But juvenile diabetes is a different disease entirely to type 2, as you well know. If we can find out what triggers juvenile diabetes, we may be able to identify individuals who are prone and steer them clear of triggers. With type 2, we know, most of the time, what causes it, though not why some people are more prone to it than others, given the same poor lifestyle choices. And getting people to change their lifestyles is close to impossible on a large scale. It is a personal choice which requires a lot of motivation over a lifetime. Choices which our modern societies do not make easy!! Mis-information and wrong information feed into this problem, as people get confused and befuddled and often end up just not really bothering due to so much conflict in their brain (including addictive conflicts).

I do not put my lifestyle up as a paragon of ideal by any means. For most of my adult life I drank too much alcohol, and know what addiction is like. Though I no longer drink, I consider myself VERY lucky that there has yet to be any long term metabolic consequences to this poor choice. Vegan alcoholic bodybuilder. Bet you don't meet many of them, and I don't recommend the combination just because I got away with it. All things in moderation would work for most people, except moderation is one of the hardest things to maintain.

Erik Danielsen
(er1kksen) - F

Locale: The Western Door
Too much macro talk on 07/06/2012 09:58:10 MDT Print View

Lynn, I think you're right on about activity having more to do with how well a healthy body handles different ratios of carb/fat/protein.

I got really into "mainstream" (if we can call it that) paleo for a while, believed in low-carbing and all that... After some time away from that mindset and being lenient about such things within the parameters of eating real food, I really have come to feel that ensuring a solid supply of micronutrients is a bigger concern for individuals without a particular health problem like diabetes or celiac. Give the body the little pieces it needs for all its cellular processes to work, and it can handle a wide range of raw materials. Some better than others, sure, but that seems to vary by population and individual. The impact of various sugars on our balance of gut bacteria probably has a bigger influence than their impact on our internal metabolisms

For me that does involve avoiding most grains (gut issues inhibit absorption) but allows for plenty of dairy. No eggs or meat from the supermarket, but plenty of organ meats and bone stock. Sometimes lots of meat, sometimes very little. I feel comfortable knowing that calorie-for-calorie I'm getting a lot of nutrition and very little that's disruptive to health. It may not always be "paleo," but it sure does make me feel good.

Had a slice of pizza last week though, dough from high-gluten flour. My hands felt arthritic until I went on a broth-fast for a couple days. Some foods will never work for some people.

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
I love my Paleo on 07/23/2012 09:36:53 MDT Print View

Due to my wife's historectomy last year she has had fits with her weight gain.

We started Paleo about 3 months ago and combined with Crossfit she is burning off fat. Lbs wise she has lost hardly any "weight" but you can see the toning occurring in her body. Lost a dress size or two, squat and dead lift weights up 50% percent. She is a hair stylist and her constant neck and forearm pains have gone away.

I have lost 20+ pounds in 4 months and my abs are even poking out under my 43 year old belly.

Yes, we are sore everyday except Sunday.

The only issue I have are the costs associated. Are Crossfit fees would probably feed a village for a week, and all the protein we eat would not be possible in 3/4 of the continents in the world. I don't lose sleep over these issues, as a matter of fact I sleep great now, but these are the truths.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Too much macro talk on 07/23/2012 18:07:17 MDT Print View

Erik

"I think you're right on about activity having more to do with how well a healthy body handles different ratios of carb/fat/protein."

For sure. Not only does exercise increase your ability to handle carbs, but as any bodybuilder will tell you the key to getting ripped for a competition is to limit carbs. The combination of intense exercise and limiting carbs is a powerful one for resculpting the body, but my take home message is that limiting carbs does not mean you HAVE to eat a meat-based diet. I think it's just easier and tastier to eat meat, which is why paleo-type diets are popular.

"ensuring a solid supply of micronutrients is a bigger concern for individuals without a particular health problem like diabetes or celiac"

Totally agree with you on that one.

"No eggs or meat from the supermarket, but plenty of organ meats and bone stock."

I think this is something a lot of paleo followers either don't know, or wish to forget. But I am reminded of this almost every time I watch an episode of "Tribe"...traditional diets often contain a lot of anything and everything that the hunter/gatherers can get their hands on. Insects, marrow from bones, grains (often fermented) organ meats, often raw, as well as the blood from the beasts. They frequently even eat the bones of small animals and fish, and even the skin of the likes of rodents. It's a veritable bounty of micronutrients that most of us miss out on by being picky about which animals, and parts of animals we eat, and our desire to have our meat cooked in most cases. Wild liver tartare anyone? Fricasee of whole rat? Live grubs and beetles? Masai and their blood/milk/urine combo? And of course all the dirt that comes along with primitive foods and prep methods (an often important source of micronutrients). Our soils are so depleted that they don't even support the bacteria that were once so vital to our well-being for gut health, even if you choose to grow your own food and not wash it vigorously. We are a society whose diet is way out of whack.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
My Paleo - failed for me? on 08/02/2012 13:04:27 MDT Print View

So, finally, an update to my Paleo experiment.

I've lost about 30 pounds since starting. I've fallen off the wagon a few times, but not for long and hopped back on pretty quickly. But I never would have lost that weight without also doing P90X (or some significant exercise program). Paleo by itself wasn't making me lose much weight at all. Of course, my metabolism is so slow that no diet is going to help me much if I don't also exercise. So that's not the failure.

Before I started Paleo I had blood work done. My total cholesterol was high - 229. Bad cholesterol (LDL) was high as well, good cholesterol (HDL) was okay, as were Tris. Just had blood work done Monday, and I was really psyched about getting the results - I figured with the weight loss itself my numbers would improve, and that Paleo would improve them even more. Doc was a bit skeptical when I told him I was following Paleo.

Just finished talking to him. My total cholesterol actually went up, it's 259 now. Good cholesterol improved slightly, bad cholesterol stayed exactly the same (still high), tris remained about the same. He's pushing (not in a negative way) me toward vegetarianism or near veg if I want to stay off meds, which I do. I'm a bit bummed, to tell you the truth. I like eating Paleo!

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Re: My Paleo - failed for me? on 08/02/2012 13:34:08 MDT Print View

Sorry about the results, but thanks for posting them none-the-less.