Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
SMD haven-inspired tarp design
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean H
(SeanH) - F

Locale: North Carolina
SMD haven-inspired tarp design on 12/03/2011 15:00:10 MST Print View

Looking for a couple pointers on construction of my next project which will be similar to the Six Moon Designs Haven tarp, but with slightly modified dimensions and a symmetrical shape for simplicity.

The first problem I'm facing is how to do a somewhat decent job of creating a flat-felled seam where the vestibule and ridge line meet. I don't plan on having vents here, like the SMD version. Instead, there will be a shaped, sort of 3-dimensional corner where I've found it to difficult to run the presser foot over and avoid folding the silnylon. Does anyone have experience with this?

Second, what is a good approach to tie out the vestibule? The best example I've found is with the Lunar Duo, where it looks like the cord starts at the ridgeline at the trekking pole attachment, under the vestibule to a stake out point. The vestibule is then attached to the cord somehow. I've considered just attaching the tie out directly to the bottom of the vestibule, but question if this would be too much tension to run along the zipper.

Sean H
(SeanH) - F

SMD haven-inspired tarp design on 12/08/2011 20:11:43 MST Print View

Looked around and experimented with ideas the last couple days - I'll answer my own questions here in case someone else might benefit.

The fix to getting a good seam around the corner where the top of the vestibule meets the main ridgeline was to just use a lot of pins in a small area, forcing excess material to bunch up cleanly at the top. easy enough

For staking out the vestibule, I watched Henry Shire's setup video for the StratoSpire 2 and I'll probably use that approach.

I'll post some pictures when the tarp's done.

-sean

Sean H
(SeanH) - F

pictures on 12/16/2011 14:59:00 MST Print View

Total weight came out to 16.4 oz (w/ guylines and stuff sack, not seam sealed). The sides aren't quite as taut as I would like due to some stretch along the bias, but overall I'm happy with it.

homemade shaped tarp

homemade shaped tarp 2

Ultra Magnus
(Ultra_Magnus) - F
Re: pictures on 12/16/2011 15:36:31 MST Print View

Wow- I'm impressed. Do you have some general length x width x height dimensions?

BM

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
SMD haven-inspired tarp design on 12/16/2011 16:49:12 MST Print View

Very nice! And a good weight!

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Locale: New England
Wow wow wee... very nice! (borat voice) on 12/16/2011 17:57:43 MST Print View

Sean that is a nice looking tent, I know you said it is not as taunt as you want it, but from the pictures it looks fairly drum tight. I can tell you my SMD Lunar Duo can not be pitched as tightly as that. It looks professionally made. Nice work, and the weight is pretty good to.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Looks Great!! on 12/16/2011 18:41:49 MST Print View

I have a Vamp Tarp that I modified with a 15" strip of no-see-um mesh around the perimeter and I love it. You look to have done a bang up job of designing your tarp!! I like angling my poles out at the bottom of mine to give me room for two, even with a Large Neo Air and a 20" wide pad!Modified Haven Tarp

Edited by mtnbob123 on 12/17/2011 22:04:14 MST.

Patrick S
(xpatrickxad) - F

Locale: Upper East TN
Re: pictures on 12/16/2011 19:04:16 MST Print View

Man, that looks great, Sean. Thanks for sharing.

Sean H
(SeanH) - F

more about the tarp on 12/17/2011 07:34:42 MST Print View

Thanks for the comments, and all the great information folks provide here.

Meant to be a two-person tarp, the main covered area is 112x46 in, and the height is ~45 in. I haven't measured how far the vestibules extend out yet, but in the design I planned on having them be 25 inches each, which looks about right.

The catenary curves really make the overhead panels rigid, with the most significant curve being on the top ridgeline (48 inch wide piece, with 1.75 in of deflection). I guess the pictures do a good job of hiding the looseness along the bottom of the side panels.

Robert, I like how you're able to angle your trekking poles out (is that a Vamp?). I'll definitely have to try that!

Edited by SeanH on 12/17/2011 07:38:53 MST.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Vamp Tarp on 12/17/2011 22:05:39 MST Print View

Oooops yes that is a Vamp Tarp. Ty, edited my first post.