Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Ultralight fire starter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Ultralight fire starter on 01/11/2007 15:13:03 MST Print View

I just found a source for 1/8"x2" ferrocerium rods (firesteels)-- another way to shave a couple ounces off your base weight for $3.50. Dig deeper and you will find a five-pack for $15. This is something BPL should have!

http://survival.instantestore.net/pd_mini.cfm

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Locale: Midwest US
Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/11/2007 17:04:17 MST Print View

I have found that if you cut up inner tube rubber from a bike into little squares that it makes a great firestarter. It's easy to light, burns a long time, and is darn hard to put out... smells when it burns but it's very light. A few 1x1cm squares works well.

mark henley
(flash582) - F
Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/11/2007 19:45:04 MST Print View

This is what I carry ... and it's less than $3 ...

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?ctlg=05NDC&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=CAMPING&C3=CAMPEQUIP&C4=&LV=3&item=01167

Gene .
(Tracker)

Locale: New England
Re: Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/12/2007 11:18:59 MST Print View

Jim,

I carry a small chunk of balsa wood for when I absolutely cannot (rare)find any local firestarter. It is SUL and does'nt give off fumes when it burns. You can get some at any hobby supply store.

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Re: Re: Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/12/2007 15:13:09 MST Print View

Did I mention rubber burns like crazy when it's wet?

Gene .
(Tracker)

Re: Re: Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/12/2007 20:52:45 MST Print View

Yup, ya' did, and I've carried some ever since i started bicycle touring back in the '70's, Inner tube works great as a fire starter, i was just offering another SUL item for those folks who want to get wayyyyyy down in weight for cheap. Just playing with a chunk of 6x6x6 balsa at the computer makes you want everything to feel this lightweight!

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/12/2007 21:50:55 MST Print View

Did I mention that it smells bad when it burns?

Donna Chester
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/15/2007 11:58:59 MST Print View

Anyone mention it is also toxic to breathe? Pollutes the air? Even small amounts?

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/15/2007 13:28:20 MST Print View

I'm told dryer lint makes a great firestarter.

Douglas Hus
(Hustler) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Ultralight fire starter on 01/15/2007 14:26:51 MST Print View

I use to use lint from the clothes drier.

Doug

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/15/2007 15:27:54 MST Print View

I'll remember that next time I burn a 1x1cm square of the stuff.

james solomon
(dralahiker) - F

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/18/2007 19:46:17 MST Print View

Yup, the drier lint is a great way to recycle.

Lint compresses well, too. A small zip lock of lint can start a dozen fires or more, and weighs only a few grams.

Don't breathe the smoke if you've had a lot of synthetics in the drier, though. Hmmm....

Gene .
(Tracker)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/19/2007 15:29:23 MST Print View

You want mainly cotton dryer lint, the synthetic stuff sometimes just melts into a blob.

Jane McMichen
(jmcmichen) - F

Locale: Maine, DownEast Coast
Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/19/2007 18:35:02 MST Print View

I saw a TV special on "survival" where the guy carried a few corn chips *fritos* to start fires. Something about the oil in the chips..? Anyway, light and reliable it seemed. And in SUL tradition, it could be used as a snack if you didn't need fires. :-) Anybody ever try this in the real world?

Thom Kendall
(kendalltf) - F

Locale: IL
Ultralight firestart on 01/19/2007 19:03:04 MST Print View

I am little more traditional. I carry some bird nesting and a couple open pine cones dipped in parafin (think spelled correct). The pine cones start very easily and are free!!

Gene .
(Tracker)

Re: Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/19/2007 19:11:09 MST Print View

I never leave the trailhead without a can of Pringles in my pack Jane! See the thread in food! They burn like a mini torch for a bit stuck in the notch of a stick. Great UL trail snack(ful of junk)nad if you NEED a firestarter there they are! Plus, the container is'nt that easy to crush; yet easy to store in your pack.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/20/2007 12:10:15 MST Print View

Mark said: This is what I carry ... and it's less than $3

Below is the tale of the tape on these. Weights are in grams. Weight of the small one without the cord and striker is 5 grams.

Does the small one make as much spark as the FireSteel? No Way!

Was I able to use the small one to start a fire (drier lint and frayed twine for tender) on this warm 18F MN January morning today? You bet!

Hot Spark Fire StarterLight My Fire Firesteel

Edited by jcolten on 01/20/2007 12:17:53 MST.

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Re: Re: Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/20/2007 20:23:57 MST Print View

A mini Bic lighter weighs .4 oz if I recall, so about the same as the little flint/steel combo.

Gene .
(Tracker)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ultralight fire starter on 01/23/2007 11:52:53 MST Print View

Jim C yes, the little fire steel is a great addition to your ten essentials kit, but it's not the end all in fire starting.

James is on point here with the mini Bic for daily use for stove lighting, which ever kind you use, and it's way more convienent to use than a flint and steel IMO.

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania
Ultralight fire starter on 01/23/2007 12:02:22 MST Print View

Jim,

That looks like the Boyscout flint stick that I have. I believe that mine weighs about .15 oz. But, I do not carry the steel since I standardly carry my Victorinox Classic knive that weighs about .6 oz. So for emergency purposes, I carry the flint stick which only adds an additional .15 or so oz. to the load.

Rich