Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Florida Boy going cross country skiing

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dutch Anderson
(Silveradodutchman) - F

Locale: Central Florida
Florida Boy going cross country skiing on 12/01/2011 09:32:43 MST Print View

Florida boy heading out west to try some cross country skiing. Have no idea what to wear. Looks like lows in the low teens highs in mid 20's. I have an old downhill ski jacket and shell. Smart wool lightweight baselayers and some polypro too. Marmot light weight down jacket. Couple different lightweight fleece layers. What do I need to cobble together to stay warm? I've also got a polypro hat and good gloves.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Florida Boy going cross country skiing on 12/01/2011 10:02:06 MST Print View

The downhill ski jacket might be too warm to wear while XC skiing but might be good at rest stops or during an emergency. Typical layering should work; in fact you may have to go with just baselayer and shell but beware that conditions can change.

Just from your post, do you have XC ski experience? Any sort of skiing or snowboarding usually requires a couple of lessons. That snow can get slippery.

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Florida Boy going cross country skiing on 12/01/2011 10:22:22 MST Print View

Cross country skiing always means sweat, no matter how cold it is. Keeping that in mind, I would steer more towards the fleece and maybe shell if it has pit zips, or vents easily. Easiest way to quickly cool off while skiing are by removing hat or gloves. I don't know that down will help you too much in these conditions, but would be nice to throw on after skiing.

What kind of trip is this? Will you be wearing a pack?

Welcome to the nord club.

Edited by justaddfuel on 12/01/2011 10:23:50 MST.

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 12/01/2011 10:35:13 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 05/28/2012 17:00:02 MDT.

Dutch Anderson
(Silveradodutchman) - F

Locale: Central Florida
Re: Re: Florida Boy going cross country skiing on 12/01/2011 14:08:32 MST Print View

short trip. Will be doing a day or two of downhill (first time in years) and want to try Nordic. We will be taking some lessons. How much upper body work is there with the poles? I've got a rotator cuff problem.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: Florida Boy going cross country skiing on 12/01/2011 14:18:25 MST Print View

as much or little as you want for arms. Get your kick-glide technique down and you won't feel like you need to push yourself along with the poles.

just be careful if/when you eat it either xc or downhill.. don't put your arm out to catch yourself. better to get a bruise on your shoulder than sprain/tear something.