Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
HST loop
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Synden
(yoseman) - F
HST loop on 11/30/2011 18:21:10 MST Print View

I am taking my 13 yr. old daughter to do the HST from Lodgepole to Mt. Whitney then north up the PCT/JMT to Junction mdw. and Cedar Grove road end. My question is does anyone know if I can get some type of shuttle service fron the Cedar Grove area back to one of the free shuttle stops.

any help will be appreciated

Yoseman

Dan Magdoff
(highsierraguy) - F

Locale: Northern California
time of year on 11/30/2011 22:09:52 MST Print View

When are you planning on doing this?

John Synden
(yoseman) - F
HST loop on 12/01/2011 13:00:32 MST Print View

Aug. 2012, I am taking my 9 year old daughter out this summer for her first western hiking trip but we are doing Yosemite & Sequoia/Kings NP I am going to show her the highlights of both parks. But anyway Aug. 2012 I will alot 2 to 3 weeks for the HST semi-loop hike. It is her first big hike so I don't want to walk her into the ground. I figure if we are covering miles faster I'll just through in an extra rest day or two.

John Synden
(yoseman) - F
no stove food suggestions on 12/02/2011 09:46:13 MST Print View

I stopped taking a stove with me when I backpack. I'm just looking for some fresh ideas for food....all kinds nutritious foods & snack foods all suggestions are appreciated.

Yoseman

Dan Magdoff
(highsierraguy) - F

Locale: Northern California
9 year olds firs trip on 12/02/2011 13:08:29 MST Print View

if its her first trip and she is only 9, you might consider doing something a little more mellow, and at max a week long. And I would also consider bringing a stove...even though its more weight some tasty hot meals were make her a much happier camper and the trip more enjoyable for her.....just my two cents

joseph peterson
(sparky) - F

Locale: Southern California
HST loop on 12/06/2011 16:51:42 MST Print View

I agree that seems abitious for a 9 year old, but I assume you know she is ready and willing to hike this loop? How about hitting colby pass and cloud canyon, roaring river, sillman pass, to lodgepole instead of ending at roads end? You sure she can handle this?

There are many personal shuttle services that are very expensive options.

You could just hike from roads end to lodgepole. There is a way to get to silman pass fairly easily from roads end so I've heard, but know nothing about it. Check the maps I guess

Edited by sparky on 12/06/2011 16:56:38 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: HST loop @ John on 12/06/2011 17:05:31 MST Print View

"But anyway Aug. 2012 I will alot 2 to 3 weeks for the HST semi-loop hike."

John,

On a related note, I would strongly advise you to monitor snowfall in the Sierra this winter and, if it is as heavy as last year, check with Sequoia Park HQ on stream conditions before departing. I am specifically referring to Wright Creek where it crosses the HST on the ascent from Junction Meadow to the JMT. We crossed it this year in late August and it was still running high enough to have our complete attention. If you are going in earlier under similar conditions it could well be too much for a novice 9 year old and quite possibly yourself as well. The creek comes out of a narrow slot in the canyon wall and when it is running high can shoot across the trail under high water volume conditions; there are no safe or accessible downstream/upstream options.

Steven Thompson
(stevet) - M

Locale: Northeast
Roads End to Crescent Meadow Shuttle? on 12/11/2011 19:16:07 MST Print View

I am not aware of a shuttle. When I planned my HST hike I considered 3 options:

1) Loop back and exit over Avalanche Pass to Roads End (difficult to even thumb a ride back to my car)
2) Hike down Roaring River over Silliman Pass and exit at Lodgepole (easier to thumb a ride)
3) Head up Deadman Canyon over Elizabeth Pass and pick up the HST at Bearpaw Meadow and hike to my car.

Wanting something predictable I went with option 3. Deadman Canyon is beautiful.

You can read my trip report here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=12c136b9ad0945e4#cid=12C136B9AD0945E4&id=12C136B9AD0945E4%21501

Randall Spratt
(genreviam)

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Roads End to Crescent Meadow Shuttle? on 12/17/2011 10:06:58 MST Print View

Thanks for posting your trip report Steve. Really enjoyed reading it!
Did the JMT this year and am planning the HST for 2012. I hadn't run across your trip report in my research so thanks!!

joseph peterson
(sparky) - F

Locale: Southern California
HST loop on 12/17/2011 18:11:47 MST Print View

For the record avalanche pass is pretty boring slog.

I don't know if you are comfortable with it, but lonely lake, pterodactyl pass through tablelands back to lodgepole is extremely scenic. I think an amazing adventure back from Whitney would be colby pass, roaring river, deadman canyon, elizibeth pass, lonely lake, pterodactyl pass, table lands, lakes trail, lodgepole. Big wet meadow is awesome!