Forum Index » Chaff » New MLife Benefits?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
New MLife Benefits? on 11/30/2011 09:36:19 MST Print View

My apologies if there is a thread somewhere else out with this information, but I haven't been able to find one.

Front page of BPL is advertising new benefits for being a Lifetime Member. As someone who is about to renew his membership, what's there to consider in the new lifetime that wasn't before?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: New MLife Benefits? on 11/30/2011 10:06:22 MST Print View

The only two things I can see that are new to me are:

Pre-Enrollment Guarantees for Wilderness Trekking School Courses
Access to the 26-Episode "Ultralight A-Z" Video Series in HD

Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
New MLife Benefits? on 11/30/2011 10:16:02 MST Print View

Are the videos the same as what's on YouTube?

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: New MLife Benefits? on 11/30/2011 10:30:39 MST Print View

no they are not the same as the youtube videos
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1277447934/ultralight-a-z-the-video-guide-to-lightweight-back

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=50161

Edited by annapurna on 11/30/2011 11:54:46 MST.

Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
New MLife Benefits? on 11/30/2011 11:45:46 MST Print View

thanks. I thought those videos were going to be made available to the public for free.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Re: New MLife Benefits? on 11/30/2011 16:21:14 MST Print View

That's what I thought, too--that was certainly Hendrick's intention, per his blog when he was requesting donations.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: New MLife Benefits? on 11/30/2011 16:30:29 MST Print View

"thanks. I thought those videos were going to be made available to the public for free."

I could be wrong (perish the thought.....) but I thought he was going to make the non-HD videos available to the public, not the HD videos, which is what now seems to be included in the lifetime membership.

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Locale: New England
MLIFE Annual Contribution Recognition. on 11/30/2011 16:58:41 MST Print View

I'm coming up on my third year of renewal, yet if I want to become an MLIFE member it will still cost me $100 additionally, doesn't really make sense to me. I am slightly at a loss on how to proceed. I wish I had laid down the $100 the first year when I had the money. I do not think that I am alone.

For Example some one could pay $25 a year for six years and still not be a Life time member when they would have contributed more dough to the pie than a MLIFER. What incentive is there to lay down $100 after you have already committed so much. Where is the incentive for that person to continue the annual payments. Seems twisted.

BPL provides a great service, I just don't see why after four or five years of annual payments someone cant be grandfathered in as a Life member. Five years seems reasonable to all sides. Annual member ends up chipping in 125 and original MLIFERS pay 100 up front so they are still getting a deal/incentive to invest.

But currently I can see people at three, four or five years saying hey its not worth it anymore. Im not going to put in an additional hundred dollars, there is not a recognition for what I have contributed already.

Daniel Allen
(Dan_Quixote) - F

Locale: below the mountains (AK)
Re: MLIFE Annual Contribution Recognition. on 11/30/2011 17:17:52 MST Print View

Clint, it still makes sense if you think you'll be around for another five (or more) years.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: MLIFE Annual Contribution Recognition. on 11/30/2011 17:26:25 MST Print View

You're basing your argument on a false premise: MLIFErs signed up without ever having paid annual membership fees. That's not true. I'd bet most MLIFErs were annual members for a few years before becoming MLIFErs.

You're also using a bit of faulty logic. You had the chance to sign up as an MLIFEr last year. You didn't. Doesn't matter what your reasons were, you didn't.

Lastly, while BPL isn't a nonprofit, some nonprofits run the same way. You can contribute any amount yearly, or you can become a 'lifetime' member. When you decide to become a lifetime member doesn't change the price of a lifetime membership, regardless of how much you might have contributed to that point.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
New MLife Benefits? on 11/30/2011 17:30:46 MST Print View

the incentive for the early adopters was not necessarily saving money. I know several who joined for life to get BPL a little money when they seemed to be looking for some.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
New MLife Benefits? on 11/30/2011 17:37:16 MST Print View

Paying up-front for access to videos that I know nothing about and courses I know I will not take? I don't know....

Watching Julian Schnabel movies in HD would be cool...but backpacking how-to's? Not so sure about HD being a strong selling point. You're talking to a guy that was happy with VHS tapes and still listens to vinyl.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
New MLife Benefits? on 11/30/2011 17:38:37 MST Print View

Re the Hendrick Morkel videos--on his blog today, Hendrick has a contest for early access (i.e. getting to see the videos a month ahead of when they appear for free on YouTube and Vimeo or the DVD goes on sale).

I'm wondering if this new MLife benefit is also for early access? If not, something strange is going on! I really don't care if the video is in HD--just takes that much longer to load thanks to my snail-like internet provider!

Edited by hikinggranny on 11/30/2011 17:40:06 MST.

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Re: Re: MLIFE Annual Contribution Recognition. on 11/30/2011 22:47:15 MST Print View

Douglas

Yes my "example" did use a zero year baseline for MLifers buying in, still does not change the point I was making.

Not sure I see my logic being faulty. It is just different from yours. Yes I could have bought in last year. I could buy in this year as well.

My logic is, maybe if there is credit given for money paid in already, even just a certain percentage, does not have to be an exact credit, then BPL could entice a few people signing up for year 2 or 3 or even 4 to put down more money this year for a Lifetime membership. Guaranteeing themselves more money today from those individuals then the uncertain possibility of future money from them, when some may discontinue there annual renewal. As I learned, stated above, some of the original MLIFErs bought in because the money was needed by BPL to get started. From what I have gathered with the closing of the BPL shop and the addition of advertisements, this is the case right now, money is needed. This could be a fundraising mechanism.

Yes some NPO's operate the way you stated, the year you become a lifer you pay in full regardless of the past, but there are many types of business models. I should not have said the current model was screwy, it is not. I meant to just bring another model to the table. A rent to own type deal, that could increase BPL's current capital and MLIFE member pool, strengthening the community. That is the reason there are the new benefits for LIFErs being rolled out, to entice more people to invest more of there money this year. I am approaching the same issue from a different angle.

C'est la vie

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
MLIFE Annual Contribution Recognition. on 11/30/2011 22:58:18 MST Print View

The primary purpose for Life Membership is to assure you don't have to pay any more annual fees. You have to expect to remain interested (and that BPL itself continues)for at least those 5 years.

It's a crap shoot either way with the odds more in your favor than BPL's as you have no control over the latter.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: MLIFE Annual Contribution Recognition. on 11/30/2011 23:04:02 MST Print View

Why not get an upgrade after so many regular years paid? Like 20

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: MLIFE Annual Contribution Recognition. on 11/30/2011 23:26:56 MST Print View

I am of course biased - I ackowledge that.
But I have to say that the cost of an annual subscription seems very small. The Life Member subscription is about what I pay annually for many societies.
And the knowledge you get from BPL, compared to what many seem willing to pay for gear ...

Cheers

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Re: Re: MLIFE Annual Contribution Recognition. on 12/01/2011 02:35:22 MST Print View

Roger

This is true, $100 is not that much in the scheme of things, for what you are getting to be a part of. Also Considering it cost me $70 to fill my gas tank. Still if more people could be enticed to invest/commit today, rather then down the road, BPL would be better off, I think.

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Re: Re: MLIFE Annual Contribution Recognition. on 12/01/2011 02:37:53 MST Print View

edit: duplicate post

Edited by WalkSoftly33 on 12/01/2011 02:38:49 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: MLIFE Annual Contribution Recognition. on 12/01/2011 08:02:32 MST Print View

"Not sure I see my logic being faulty. It is just different from yours."

True, poor choice of words.